• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

Re: Furthur Fall Tour vs. Furthur NYE Run

#109623 2 years, 6 months ago
I saw them summer, fall and NYE and they kept getting better.

That "maybe Bobby was on drugs" line made me LOL so hard...Maybe he wasn't on drugs?
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#110187 2 years, 6 months ago
The NYE run was fantastic and I believe Furthur raised the bar, as they should. That said, I loved the west coast fall tour and Eugene was one of my favorite venues for the mellow, uncrowded vibe. First two shows in Monterey I really enjoyed. There were a couple rough shows. Bob had me worried in Las Vegas and LA. I thought he must have been sick or impaired. Fortunately he seemed back at the NYE run (didn't see the November east coas shows). Bob's vocals were noticeably improved.

I loved the shows in Eugene, Red Rocks, LA, and Monterey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva, Strider1
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#110547 2 years, 6 months ago
i who have lumped furthur in with every other post jerry lineup, have to admit that this past NYE run was for real taking it furthur. the thing we all have to remember is when you go out there like they do and swing for the fences every time, sometimes your goin strike out. it just makes it that more special when they nail it. being a deadhead is a about chasing that high, its like being a junkie, but healthier. but it still costs alot.lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire, theothrone, GratefulDad420
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#111407 2 years, 6 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
being a deadhead is a about chasing that high, its like being a junkie, but healthier. but it still costs alot.lol

It IS like being a junkie & it does cost a lot, but I can't think of anything I'd rather spend money on. I'm not at all into stuff - even traveling isn't as much Fun if there isn't a show to look forward to.

The NYE shows were truly amazing! I can't wait to hear what 2012 has in store 4 us!
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#111767 2 years, 6 months ago
Yeah, so I went back and listened to that Vegas show and, although it started a little slow, by the middle of the first set it picked up, and the second set was really jammin'! I think the fall tours, both east and west coast were pretty spot on. Of course there were my favorites, and highlights throughout, but I wasn't disappointed at any of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#113133 2 years, 6 months ago
i used to love east coast/midwest shows with ratdog cuase of thhe engergy level, its a real special occasion to have bobby in town, out here its more mellow, which ive grown to dig. we still have a barn burner now and again.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#113980 2 years, 6 months ago
Not to get too caught up in the details, but Phil has always been the driving force for taking GD [music] to unconventional dimensions. In this way, Jerry was inspired by Phil. Phil was the explorer. It's his background in serial and electronic music and that ol' big brain. From Feedback to Stockhausen lectures to Seastones to other types of sound manipulation.

I haven't seen too much talk about it, if any, but some credit to the specialness of the NYE run has to be given to the setlist choices. Each night is a story. Tones are set in motion. Chapter to chapter. There's more likeliness and less likeliness, and when you have lists like that, it's more likely. The lists were less novelty and more getting back to good ol' Grateful Dead primal music.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
lysergic
Junior Boarder

#115525 2 years, 6 months ago
Madison and St Louis shows were great. Two of the better furthur shows i have seen. Made the nye run and those shows were special. Each night got better which was impressive and i loved thurs night. Not sure about anyone else but the second set nye was freaking amazing. Also the rebroadcast i head the following week sounded great. fridays lost>saint deal, 2nd set passenger and everything else tore my face off)
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#123911 2 years, 5 months ago
Zeno~ Dude SPOT ON about Phil as he just showed us or rather WOWED Us all again this weekend! Very nicely put as I was hoping to read that kinda post somewhere. Obviously Bobby and the other players ( Billy and Mickey ) along with the Furthur guys and Sunshine are all in important roles no doubt. Phil was and is the key to the great unknown, and also the experimental unrehearsed jams and when he's on its GAME ON! We are all so lucky to have this man as the true anchor to this sound.
As far as the fall tours and NYE run, I was lucky enough to catch the first 3 fall shows in Eugene then also the last 4 west coast shows and Wed October 5th ( Steve Jobs Memorial Show ) stood out as a shining example of a killer show even when Bob was clearly ill with his full on winter coat. The 2 Monterey shows not so much, the first Eugene show was DYNAMITE and The Midwest run we had Indy which will stand my personal test of time as a smoking hot show ( Blues For Allah! ) All 3 NYE Gigs were just wonderful too, so COME ON SPRING!
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#123935 2 years, 5 months ago
Hell yes NYE was the best three in a row shows I've ever seen Furthur play.

I hope they keep bringing it.
All You Need
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds