• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

Furthur Fall Tour vs. Furthur NYE Run

#107333 2 years, 6 months ago
Not that anyone would remember, but I wrote a very bummed out post/review about the 2010 Eugene and Monterrey shows. At that time, both my husband and I felt that the band was really off. In particular, Bobby seemed to be having a lot of problems, and not the usual Bobby lyrics flubbing or fucking around with his equipment, which we all know is just Bobby being Bobby. Last Fall he seemed unable to stay on the beat with the rest of the band, running early or late on many tunes. Screwing up lyrics so badly it was mind boggling. The background vocals didn't seem as on and strong, I could barely hear Jeff, and Phil wasn't as forceful and present as he usually is. All this is to say that I went into the NYE run with much trepidation and worry that this run would be more of the same and thus, it would be hard for me to continue justifying spending the money to do future shows and tours.

I am happy to say at my fears were not only allayed, they were squashed like a little fat bug, SPLAT! To put it bluntly, we got served! We've been going to Furthur shows from their very beginning, and I can honestly say that this NYE Run was the best I have ever heard them play. Bobby must be back on his meds , or took a much needed vocal rest, because he sounded very good and back to his old self, in a good way. Sure, he is still fucking around with that horrible pedal that sounds like a car honking - Bobby, if you read this, PLEASE for the love of all that's right in the world, get rid of that pedal, it's distracting and sounds horrible - but other than that and the malfunction on NYE, which was resolved quickly, he was back! Phil's new spot next to Joe really helps both of them to see what the other is doing and thus, we got a lot more drive and punch in the drums and bass. It was a blast to watch Joe locked onto what Phil was doing and the level of jams showed the results. We also loved Phil's new bass tower, which seems to give him more power, presence and definition...his intro on The Other One was extremely satisfying! JK seems to be playing less like a Jerry clone, which I never cared for, and more like himself, which I totally appreciate and he seems to be growing into his position more and more. Background vocals were bright and lovely. And then there's Jeff Chimenti...what can you say about a guy who, no matter what, where or when, shows up and delivers the goods and then some every single show?!? He is simply amazing and it was great to see him take so many opportunities to lead the band on spacey excursions that were very very tasty! When he's bouncing around, attacking his B3, it's pretty perfect to me.

Which brings me to this...I never thought I would see the day when Furthur started to take the kinds of risks that the GOGD took. Let's face it, Jerry was the driver in many a space adventure, and with Furthur's rehearsing and the pre-determined set lists, it's not been as experimental as it used to be when nobody knew what the next song was going to be. But this run was the first time I felt like Furthur was reaching for that same uncharted territory. For me, 'taking it further' isn't about changing around song placements, or song selection, or who sings what. To me, those are all just band logistics. Taking it further, to me, is about going into unknown territory that is unrehearsed and pure in its unscheduled and unknown destinations. And I was really happy to experience some of those moments last week. It doesn't always work, and I'm okay with that because it's not the destination I'm interested in, it's really the journey, and there were some wonderful journeys this run. As we left the NYE show, it felt like the band left nothing on the table. They were spent, we were spent, and that's exactly how I like it.

So thank you Furthur, for a real good time! Happy New Year to you all ~
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by katie mae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2, wlewis, amusingdeva, Roadtripper, FurthurFlower67, Bakes, 23atwell, jk420
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Furthur Fall Tour vs. Furthur NYE Run

#107337 2 years, 6 months ago
I'm really liking the spacey dimension they're adding back in as well. Glad you enjoyed the shows, and very glad to see you back here again.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#107374 2 years, 6 months ago
i agree with you. i remember your post. i was not impressed with those shows either out west. there were only a few shows from that tour that did it for me. i saw some november shows they were better but i agree, NYE was it. they let it all hang out. i am so happy i made it out for my first NYE, surely a great one. the musicianship reached new heights.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreatestStoryEverTold
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#107391 2 years, 6 months ago
katie mae wrote:
I never thought I would see the day when Furthur started to take the kinds of risks that the GOGD took. Let's face it, Jerry was the driver in many a space adventure. But this run was the first time I felt like Furthur was reaching for that same uncharted territory. For me, 'taking it further' isn't about changing around song placements, or song selection, or who sings what. To me, those are all just band logistics. Taking it further, to me, is about going into unknown territory that is unrehearsed and pure in its unscheduled and unknown destinations. And I was really happy to experience some of those moments last week. It doesn't always work, and I'm okay with that because it's not the destination I'm interested in, it's really the journey, and there were some wonderful journeys this run. As we left the NYE show, it felt like the band left nothing on the table. They were spent, we were spent, and that's exactly how I like it.

I happily agree with you! Except for those Bobby moments on west coast tour, I thought the band was really tight -- a little too tight and not experimental enough. I was thrilled they did some more experimentation this run and I think they wee thrilled too!

For once I actually left a show feeling satiated!
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#107396 2 years, 6 months ago
Hey there Katie Mae! I do believe I remember reading about that...

I only made it to the Eugene shows in the fall. It was my first time being out west seeing a Dead show. I was so excited. I thought the shows were the best I was ever going to see. Boy was I wrong. I did enjoy the shows but totally no where near the best I've seen. Bobby was flubbing a lot. And I even noticed a few mistakes from John those shows. I was kinda disappointed.

Seen three of the Midwest shows in November. Blew me away. I was thinking now this is the Furthur I know. I was still a little on the fence about how the San Francisco shows were going to be. I just felt like they didnt put as much heart into their shows out west. But it was AMAZING! This is just what I wanted in Eugene this past September. I'm so glad I got to make it to the hometown shows and be a part of the energy. It was truly an amazing experince! Furthur was taking it Furthur this new years run, and I loved every minute of it!

Thank you Furthur!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#107416 2 years, 6 months ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:
I just felt like they didnt put as much heart into their shows out west.

You know, the Eugene shows from 2010 were incredibly good. I don't think it's about not putting their all into West Coast shows, I think it's that they were touring way too much. Unless they've each got some huge nut to cover each month, and they've pissed away all their savings - which I highly doubt - they just don't need to burn the candle at both ends. At their ages it can't be easy to do all that touring, let alone deliver the goods at a consistently high level multiple nights in a row. Phil's over 70 now and I'm a good 20+ years younger and those three nights last week wore my ass right out. I couldn't have done a fourth night in a row even if I wanted to, so I can imagine it's like times 100 for them up there performing. I think the time off for the holidays, enjoying the family, friends, recharging the batteries, perhaps gave them a more solid footing this run, and I hope they tour less, but bring more quality with them in the new year. I'm fine with one West Coast tour per year and the NY run if it means they can rest up more and kick ass when they do play.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by katie mae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva, FurthurFlower67
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#107423 2 years, 6 months ago
Yes I do believe it was they needed some more rest after an extremely hot summer tour! I'm am just so grateful to be able to see all the shows I get to see!

Edit: Phil is blowing me away! It only seems like he gets better and better with age. I don't know what he's doing but it's working for him!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by FurthurFlower67.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#107486 2 years, 6 months ago
I was quite nervous after the last west coast tour. I only saw the last five shows, liked the greek SteveJobs show but was concerned that Bob was ill or on drugs. The East coast shows made me feel much better and now after the nye run i am optimistic that they are healthy bud willing and confident enough to push into uncharted areas for them. MORE SPACE is cool by me and jams where there never were give me hope. I don't know how Bob and Phil do it but I hope it works for many more years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, rockinbob
Chester
More or less in line

#107755 2 years, 6 months ago
Hard to compare a tour with a 3 show special run. But the 30th, and the 31st, were two of the best shows
I've ever heard Furthur do. I say "heard", because I wasn't there, and that does change the experience. But
what I did hear, excited and inspired me. I think it can only get better.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2, wlewis, amusingdeva
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#108233 2 years, 6 months ago
I think the east coast fall tour had some excellent shows, specifically 11/11/11, 11/12/11, and 11/13/11. Those three were my favorite shows of the east coast fall tour, but I do believe NYE was a bit more experimental and they kept it together really well, besides that fact. West coast fall tour, I had a good time at red rocks, and there were some highlights throughout the three nights, but not close to the New Years run, and I also immensely enjoyed the Vegas show, but it might have been my state of mind and where I was, right up front. That always gives me a bit more energy. I'll take another listen to that one and see what I think again. Never-the-less, NYE gets me really excited for 2012!
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds