• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
1Stellargirl
Junior Boarder

First Furthur show

#106993 2 years, 9 months ago
I saw my last Dead show on 6/10/94. After Jerry died, I just didn't have the heart to listen to other people singing his songs, so I never got around to seeing any of the newer side projects. It just seemed to me that Phil and Bobby were relying too heavily on Jerry's songs and less on their own.

But I got a ticket for the New Years show with a couple old friends of mine and had a friggin' blast! I can't get over just how good Furthur is. They sounded awesome, and the song selection was pretty amazing as well. Kadlecik's playing was lovely, and his vocals even worked for me on Jerry's stuff. Phil has gotten even more amazing on the bass, if such a thing were even possible. And Bobby...well, Bobby was Bobby. He kept fucking around with his equipment, and I thought there was going to be a full meltdown during Althea. Just like the good old days!

I took my eleven-year old son to the show; his first concert! He was amazed and had a blast.

Furthur was incredible. I have a lot of lost time to make up for!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, scar1et_f1re, rockinbob, Bakes, B-Rad, Wundurland
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

Re: First Furthur show

#106996 2 years, 9 months ago
Ha! I love that description of Bobby. But he is playing great lately in my opinion. It seems like Furthur is tapping in to a lot of fans who stopped listening after Jerry died.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#107017 2 years, 9 months ago
Welcome home jcmarkkx!
The following user(s) said Thank You: B-Rad
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#107024 2 years, 9 months ago
Yup, as I've said to new folks around here before, welcome to the "I never thought it could feel this way again" club!! Isn't it grand?!

Nice having you drop by the forum, hope you hang around!!
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#107250 2 years, 9 months ago
Absolutely! Welcome back! It's so amazing I saw my first show when I was 15 and still enjoying the magic 28 years later. Incredible! Welcome home.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#108279 2 years, 9 months ago
" It seems like Furthur is tapping in to a lot of fans who stopped listening after Jerry died."

That would be me for one. I keep trying to tell a friend of mine be he is not buying it.
jk420
Junior Boarder
At least I'm enjoyin' the ride

#108477 2 years, 9 months ago
Welcome home! I have a few close friends, who are hardcore Heads, and some have yet to go to ANY Furthur shows. This perplexes me so much because I've been telling them over and over how great it's been.

I've been lucky enough to pick them up in late 2009 when they did their first shows on the east coast @ Asbury Park. I too went in skeptical but was won over within 1 song!!! John's vocals and playing are the perfect compliment for the Jerry tunes and Joe Russo is a monster drummer. The entire band IS playing better than ever at this point and the shows keep getting hotter.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#108485 2 years, 9 months ago
jcmarckx: your story sounds familiar. my last GD show was in October of 1994, and i didn't see any of the post-Jerry projects until mid-2011 (a 17 year hiatus). it's good to be back. the 11 furthur shows that i saw in 2011 were a blast. the scene is once again manageable, i've met lots of very friendly folks at shows and here at the forum, and i'm real happy to be back in the mix. i'm glad to hear that you found your way back as well.
1Stellargirl
Junior Boarder

#108671 2 years, 9 months ago
jk420 wrote:
John's vocals and playing are the perfect compliment for the Jerry tunes and Joe Russo is a monster drummer. The entire band IS playing better than ever at this point and the shows keep getting hotter.

I love Joe Russo, but I thought he was a little heavy-handed during the spacier sections. His playing on everything else was stellar, but he needs to chill out a bit on the spacy stuff, imo.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by .
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#108824 2 years, 9 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
Yup, as I've said to new folks around here before, welcome to the "I never thought it could feel this way again" club!! Isn't it grand?!

That pretty much sums it up for me.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds