• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Mickey Hart Band Chicago IL 12/17/11

#100683 2 years, 3 months ago
So I hopped a East bound train to CHi on Saturday morning to catch Mickey play a tour closer. For those that were miffed on their simalar set list for each show really missed out for this one. AS it was a tour closer and in my mind possible the last time that these folks will play together for at least a while, I was anticipating that they were going to stretch out and have some fun.

WHICH THEY DID.

Tiny venue, maybe the smallest one that I have ever been to, held 175 people and had a impeccable sound system. Really nice place as well (which he deserved after losing power at MLPS's Non Profit theater)

The sets got really spacey (look up what he is doing) literally, but despite me not being much of a Drums or Space kind of guy, I was really digging it this night. Got grooving with Schools shaken the walls and Mickey pounding it out.

Set break, I met him briefly. I was in the ally next to the bar smoking and he walked through a cloud of kids that didn't even recognize him (he kept his head low) but as I was standing towards the back of the ally away from the crowd I spotted him instantly (wristbands, then him lol) I said hello and thank you then everyone started to hoot and holla as he was walking away. He kind of flapped his arms like a bird and Yelled " I am a desperate Man" as he disappeared behind the building and into the back door. I think I knew what he meant.

All in all good show, good trip and great venue to bad Mickey felt it was beneath him. After seeing him Thursday in MLPS and Saturday in CHI I felt blessed to see him in his cockpit of sound. If you have a chance to see him do it, he seems to be having some fun CONDUCTING his current line ups.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by ecojaded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, FurthurFlower67
vaporized
Fresh Boarder

Re: Mickey Hard Band Chicago IL 12/17/11

#100712 2 years, 3 months ago
Had a blast as well. Enjoyed it more than the Chicago Furthur show last month. Lincoln Hall is my favorite venue in Chicago. Great little place. Nice crowd; not too packed but a good turnout nonetheless. Loved it all. I was unfamiliar with a lot of what he played, but I really dug it live. The sound was great and that is a talented band. The Dead tunes he played were really fun. Scarlet>Fire, Brokedown, NFA, GDTRFB, Bid You Goodnight. Mickey's contribution to the Dead's sound was on full display. I'm not sure what all the instruments are called in his percussive arsenal, but I do really miss the sounds he brought to Dead. IMO, he really pushed the Dead into electronic music. The sampling and sounds he creates are so missing from the Furthur experience for me. Hoping he keeps touring as I'd see him again with this band for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#100717 2 years, 3 months ago
Wow. Thanks for those reviews. I wish I could've been there with you. Did he play "One more saturday night"?
Wasn't sure if he'd break that out or not. By, the way, I hate to be picky, but his last name is Hart.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#100723 2 years, 3 months ago
lol funny, sorry pure typo thanks Chester.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#100726 2 years, 3 months ago
Awesome so glad you seen it! I've come to discover tour closers are always the best! The band gives it their all!!!

Glad it was a great time Eco!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#100728 2 years, 3 months ago
I see what happened, I copy pasted Ossi thread topic and deleted the date and city.

lol, back to work.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#100730 2 years, 3 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
I see what happened, I copy pasted Ossi thread topic and deleted the date and city.

lol, back to work.

i didnt even realize his said Mickey Hard....
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Mickey Hart Band Chicago IL 12/17/11

#100742 2 years, 3 months ago
Sorry about being picky about the spelling. This show is now up on archives.

www.archive.org/details/mhb2011-12-17.akg481
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Chester.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded, FurthurFlower67
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#100768 2 years, 3 months ago
I'm glad a couple of folks wrote a good review. Pretty funny about posting mine.

I had more fun than at both Further shows I saw this year. Its just true. Going to a concert is fun, don't get me wrong. This wasn't like a concert, it was like going to a very exclusive party. That's what it felt like, we were privileged to be there. Everyone grooved and made it such a great night. It reminded me what an acid test might have been like. Everyone kind of grooving all together, and the music being so very appropriate. The people were what made the night beautiful. It really was amazing. I can see why Mickey does a tour like this. Its not the huge crowded place as being with the GD. He can hang out and have a pleasant night himself. Everything smaller and easier. Talk to a few folks. This ended up being one of my best times ever, in the top 10, maybe top 5. In 30 years of going to GD, raves, clubs, Rainbow Gatherings, etc., that's a pretty good time.

I just hope they come back.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds