• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Mickey Hard Band St Louis

#100039 2 years, 10 months ago
Here's a review of my experience at the show. Maybe not as technical as some good show reviews should be, but what a good time!

First off I have to give mad props to DeadontheRiver, Chuck. He was the leader of the 'street team' that promoted the show in advance, here in StL. He got a shirt and 2 passes to get in. Someone couldn't make it, so he made the offer to me. What luck for me.

Thanks Chuck.

The Old Rock House is an older building that's kind of long and straight. Its not really big, but it has 2 floors, and the balcony looks down on the dance floor and stage. I have tried to figure out how many people were there. and my guess seems to be around or less than 500. There was no seating, all gm. It wasn't really crowded, so you could go right up and touch the stage if you wanted. Intimate is a good word for the place.

I was glad to see FurtherFlower67 there. After driving to Indianapolis with her this year, I got to know her a little. She surprised me with how responsible she is. I get a little worried when arranging rides, and was wondering if she may change plans and leave or forget me. Not the case at all. She handled the driving etc, and it was a good trip.
Somewhere along the line I elected myself to try and watch out for her at shows. Just be the older brother and check on her to make sure she's alright, be there to lend a hand if needed. Not that she needs that. She even seemed a little surprised at me for being like that, but, it doesn't hurt to have a friend. She's a great girl, and if you can get the chance, definitely meet her.

When the music started, I went to the dance floor and gave a listen. Mickey was intently looking into the crowd, and drumming along. I got within about 10 feet of him. The music was very trippy, very much so. Excellent if you happen to have your eyes closed, as I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. I stayed there for the first set. During the break I sat down and started looking around. The scene was very, very different from any concert I've ever been to. It was like a big party, with everyone mingling, and milling around. Very low key. There was some ambient lighting in the club, and it gave the place a surreal, kind of artsy feel. I was tripping about what the party was like. To me, it was very much like what an acid test might have been, in the early days. Like a beatnik party with beret's, sweaters, and cigarette holders, like that almost. Very artsy is the best way to describe it. Like it was thrown by some art professor at a college, and a select few got to go. I felt very privileged to be there. The band was the music, but not the entire party. The people there were part of the overall experience. Like a performance art situation, and by being there, you were part of the art. I felt like the event was very avante gard, chic, classy, almost snooty. It was that cool. Definitely a new experience for me. I've never been to a party like that, and was so surprised and delighted to be part of it. I mentioned it to a couple of people, and 3 out of 4 agreed. FF67 looked at me like I was tripping, lol.

I saw a girl who was sitting next to me at the Fox show. At the Fox I was telling her about the energy surge I had there. She understood what I was talking about, and I found that she worked in a field that has some connection to that. It was pretty cool to talk to someone who knew what I was talking about. At this show, I channeled up some energy in my arm, to show her. Instead of telling her what I was seeing, I asked her what she saw. She described it very much the same as I saw it. I would like someday to have someone study that. I would like to quantify it somehow. I asked her to stop by the forum, and I hope she does. Her and her husband are very cool folks.

During the second set, I found a seat and relaxed. I spent most of the time with my eyes closed, which was totally acceptable. I smelled someone take a hit of DMT right next to me. It seemed to fit right in with the artsy crowd.

They played a few Dead songs, sing alongs, but it seemed to me just to break the energy, and change it up. The Dead songs were not the point at all, and anyone who only wanted them was definitely missing the point. The trip drumming and band were the main entertainment, at least to me.

All in all, I had an excellent time, one of my best ever. The different atmosphere and crowd really made for a special night. After the show I was videoed by Mickey's vid guy. He asked me what I thought of the show, and I went on about the art party. They probably didn't pay to much attention to it. I imagine I sounded like I was tripping. Hopefully they get a laugh from it.

After the show, I was sitting at a table waiting for my sweetie to come give me a ride home. God bless her too, she got up from sleeping to come get me, and has done so before. I told her I wasn't going to be able to drive, and she knew why. She just came and never complained. Thanks sweetie.

So, as I'm sitting there, a younger, very pretty, girl walks across the club and was looking directly at me. She gave me a big hug and said "I love you". Very much in the hippie way of doing things. I said I love you too, and I hope you had as much fun as I did. She said she did, smiled, and walked away. An act of kindness. It really made me feel good. Someone took the time to be nice, for the sake of being nice. It was one of the best parts of the night.

Like I said, it was among my top 10 times ever, maybe top 5. The scene was great, the music was excellent and so very appropriate for my mood.

If you get a chance. GO!! Don't let this show slip by.

I will go again, no doubt.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue, Bakes
vaporized
Fresh Boarder

Re: Mickey Hard Band St Louis

#100065 2 years, 10 months ago
What a great write up! Looking forward to checkin the band out in Chicago tonight.
Chester
More or less in line

#100081 2 years, 10 months ago
Glad you had a good time. Yeah, I really think Mickey has a good thing going here. Can't wait to see him myself.
Thanks for the review.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Chester.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#100193 2 years, 10 months ago
Have fun tonight. What a great time I had.

Ever been to a party that turned out 10 times better than you imagined?

That's what it was like for me.

Chester, you gotta go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#100548 2 years, 10 months ago
sounds like mickey gots a good thing goin.
its awsome that ALL the boys are putting out such great music right now.
i regret missing the mickey band shows around me, but hopefully he will play a show or two when the come back home
from being on the road.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#100662 2 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for the kind words Bill, you can look after me anytime I dont mind!

Here are a few more pics from Mickey's visit to St. Louis!

His visit to the KDHX 88.1 FM Studio!
kdhx.jpg

Jim, Sikiru, Mickey, and Drea
kdhx2.jpg

Joe, Jim, Sikiru, Joe's son, Mickey
kdhx3.jpg

Mickey
kdhxd.jpg

Joe's son, Mickey, and Drea
kdhxfun.jpg

Drea, Sikiru, Mickey
Pics from the show from my friend Joe...

drummin.jpg

mickey_2011-12-19.jpg

orh.jpg

crowd.jpg

A view of the dance floor, can u spot me?
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by FurthurFlower67.
Chester
More or less in line

#100718 2 years, 10 months ago
No, I don't think I can pick you out of the crowd. Looks like a fun crowd though. Thanks for posting those pictures.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#100725 2 years, 10 months ago
HEHEHE I'm in the yellow shirt with my arm up...
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Chester
More or less in line

#100733 2 years, 10 months ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:
HEHEHE I'm in the yellow shirt with my arm up...

Awesome! Thanks! That's so cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#100776 2 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for the kind words Bill, you can look after me anytime I dont mind!

It doesn't hurt to have a friend, especially when your out having fun. It was a good trip to Indy, and a total blast at this show. Maybe we can catch up at a camp out festival or something this summer.

I heard that interview on KDHX. It was interesting. That station is the best.

Can we post that picture?
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds