• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Re: String bands...

#15387 3 years, 6 months ago
Here's some smokin' string band stuff I just came across...just in time for the weekend!

iclips.net/watch/bluegrassball-3-13-2011

iclips.net/watch/headforthehills-3-13-2011
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Confusions Prince
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#16318 3 years, 5 months ago
sjfgreenman wrote:

Hickory Project...ever changing lineup but always excellent...some of the players are in a GD bluegrass cover band

Hickory Project is Anthony Hannigan, Dave Cavage, Coleman Smith, Mark Morris and Steve Belcher. Anything else is not the official HP lineup but rather Hickory Light, ha ha. Jeff Wisor and Dave Hampton (both of which are some heavy hitters themselves, lol) happen to fill in when C-Man is home in TX and Mark is home in CO or off heli-skiing the craziest peaks around the globe. The only person in this band playing in a cover band is Anthony, who plays Fiddle in Garcia Grass which is not a GD tribute but rather an Old & In The Way tribute that throws a few GD/JGB covers in the mix.

I was just listening to this show earlier today feat the first ever complete Bluegrass State Of Mind. Timeless stuff. Dave reminds me of Hunter in that he can paint a great vision, tell a great story and make it timeless.

www.archive.org/details/TheHickoryProjec...AtScrantonFirstNight
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#16443 3 years, 5 months ago
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out

The Hickory Project tracks i have that I practice along to have Billy Gilmore and Sue Cunningham in the band and Andy is playing with them.

maybe it's an offshoot band...or an earlier Hickory Project? They are fiends of HP but are they former members?

Gilmore plays with a band called Crazy Fingers

Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by sjfgreenman.
furthuronuptheroad
Fresh Boarder

#16515 3 years, 5 months ago
rumpke mountain boys.....cincinnatti ohio

they cover everything from the dead to tom waits. check out some vids from youtube..

not to mention the several shows on the archive...

my favorite part about them is how at our local festivals they play all night....their record set length is over 9 hours.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: sandee823
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#16541 3 years, 5 months ago
Here's a show with the formation of Hickory Project I mentioned..
Check out the Angeline the Baker...they take it waaaay out there at the end...Billy starts teasing Hendrix, others in the solo..he has some guitar lesson videos on youtube, he's one hell of a flatpicker

www.archive.org/details/thp2006-06-06.sbd.flac16

If you check this show out, make sure you listen to the 1st tune Bangers+Mash, too...that's what we're talking about!

one more, from Dublin
www.archive.org/details/thp2005-08-28.sbd.flac16
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by sjfgreenman.
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#16696 3 years, 5 months ago
To be fair, Hickory Project is just that, a project - created and devoted to the spreading of this music across the globe. So technically there is no set lineup as it can change at anytime, lol. So that said....

A lot has changed with Hickory Project that you must not yet know, lol. They are very close personal friends of ours (As is Billy Gilmore) so, I know a little bit about this band, lol. ;0)

The lineup you speak of is long gone. The lineup I mentioned below is what has risen from those ashes. Billy is currently playing with Uproot Hootenanny in FL right now. He plays with Crazy Fingers and HP whenever his schedule allows as well. Just listen to that link I posted. Bluegrass State Of Mind, Hard In The Mines, Dawgapelli, Vassar Hop and especially listen to Coleman straight fuckin KILL that Farr Brother Blues. Just to name a few gems off that show. And what an incredible night it was, snow falling huge wet flakes, we all stood there together after the show as the fireworks exploded in the snowy sky. One of Marks first shows with the band out east. Might have been his second or third but he hadn't played many shows by that point. And this was the first time they busted out BGSOM with the lyrics too.

This band is truly nothing short of amazing.

Let your eyes fest upon this: LASERGRASS!!!!!

Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#16700 3 years, 5 months ago

There's another video, Frank Wakefield playing with Hickory Project last summer at NEPA Bluegrass Fest.
Matter of fact they're all playing together Sat with Jeff Wisor on fiddle.
Chester
More or less in line

#16702 3 years, 5 months ago
Good stuff Nupsdog. Hey, keep us posted on any Garcia Grass show info. I would love to see those guys again.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#16725 3 years, 5 months ago
Will do Chester. :0)

And sjfgreenman, thats not Hickory Project in that one video from Hickory Fest, those are two former members of Hickory Project whom Billy sat in with at Hickory Fest last summer. I won't go into details on all that other than to inform that Hickory Project no longer has anything to do with Hickory Fest. There is a Hickory Fest West in Colorado, last year was the first year, and as of right now I'm not sure they're will be another one this year or not. Either way that can get thrown together rather quickly.

We are working on something new and different. I'll keep ya's posted on the future as it develops more. Might be another year before it comes together but all the pieces are here and ready.
sandee823
Junior Boarder
Ohh mama, aint it good to be alive

#17003 3 years, 5 months ago
Psychograss is a good one that i've discovered recently. Them and Trampled by Turtles
This family has opened my eyes to so much in the world. For that, I am and will remain forever grateful.
My freedoms in the fire, i want to take me higher....free my soul
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by sandee823.
brobnsita
Junior Boarder
i'm in the world to change the world

#17006 3 years, 5 months ago
Cornmeal
Trampled by Turtles
The Infamous Stringdusters
The Hillbilly Gypsies
Greensky Bluegrass
Bearfoot
Psychograss
Tussey Mountain Moonshiners
laughin in her eyes, dancin in her feet
sandee823
Junior Boarder
Ohh mama, aint it good to be alive

#17013 3 years, 5 months ago
Ahh- how could i forget Hillbilly Gypsies!! Good stuff man
This family has opened my eyes to so much in the world. For that, I am and will remain forever grateful.
My freedoms in the fire, i want to take me higher....free my soul
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds