• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

The Jerry tone...

#72453 2 years, 6 months ago
Can anyone direct me to that site or dude that has a video showing him playing a Rosebud copy and explaining how he gets the "Jerry sound" ? I saw it somewhere while high and can't dig it up...very interesting.
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: The Jerry tone...

#72599 2 years, 6 months ago
depends what era you are going for but his typical equipment that most people want to here about ie the pedals is listed below. i myself finally just secured a mutron III a great price so I've been making myself happy!! below are some links to get you started:

Mutron III envelop filter
MXR Phase 100
Mutron Octave Divider
Some type of Boss overdrive pedal OD-1, OD-2, I think he even went up to an OD-3 in the 90's

www.mu-tron.org/
dozin.com/jers/guitar/history.htm
dozin.com/jers/rig.html
www.jdarks.com/
guitar.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zT...ns.com/gdroadie.html

he has a pretty exhaustive and varied approach to tone as he does to his music so there is a plethora of different effects some used more frequently than others and those are generally the ones associated with his classic tones. But when you get into analog vs. digital and playing through the amps and then through the pa system itself you open a whole other box of demons
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Dire Wolf.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#72655 2 years, 6 months ago
I too just bought a Mu-Tron III. Dig that vintage sound. That in combo with the Boss dynamic wah really get that "shakedown" sound. Have you seen the video in question where the guy is playing a Rosebud copy? The early Jerry sound is quite different from the late Jerry sound for sure. Early on he played that Gibson semi-hollow with a big tailpiece.
Thanks
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#72966 2 years, 6 months ago
Bilbo wrote:
Can anyone direct me to that site or dude that has a video showing him playing a Rosebud copy and explaining how he gets the "Jerry sound" ? I saw it somewhere while high and can't dig it up...very interesting.

Try Jdarks. There are a few people that have the "Jerry" tone nailed down. Also check out Stu Allen, he can musically nail Jerry quite well.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#73269 2 years, 6 months ago
there are sites dedicated to the bands gear i think it would help you a lot...ask guitargeorge he is a big gearhead
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#73549 2 years, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
there are sites dedicated to the bands gear i think it would help you a lot...ask guitargeorge he is a big gearhead

^see above though there are more!!
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

#75264 2 years, 6 months ago
Here is an archived interview with John Kadlecik specifically discussing his guitar setup for Jerry tone which should help you out.

www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=8326
Still Searching For The Sound??? My LMA Recordings and My Etree Recordings
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#85427 2 years, 5 months ago
Thanks! "our Captain fell in love with a lady like a dove, and he called her by name, Pretty Peggy-o...."
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

#89198 2 years, 5 months ago
Honestly, besides the mutron stuff, 99% of "Jerry Tone" is in your fingers. You just gotta play it right. Phrasing is sooo much more important than equipment.

That said, I've had pretty good luck with the following. First off, you want a SUPER CLEAN amp. An old Fender Twin is a good place to start. For me, I got a SMS Classic Tube Preamp from Brad Sarno, website - www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/ctp.html

The thing is ultra clean! Sounds SOOO good. I run it through an all tube power amp into a 2x12 cab. I use a Fulltone OCD set very lightly, almost no effect. A bit more than a clean boost, but not by much. For more driven tones, I have an Ibanez TS9 in front of the OCD also set pretty low but a bit hotter than the OCD. Honestly, I think I get closer to Kadlicek's tone with the TS9 but it still fits the music pretty well. I'm probably sending the TS9 out for the Analogman Silver Mod after xmas.

As for Delay, I use an MXR Carbon Copy. Very nice analog delay.

For the "Shakedown" auto-wah sounds, I use an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron (large box). A good, properly functioning Mutron III is not in my price range at the moment so the Q-Tron does nicely as an alternative. Got mine on ebay for about $90.

Guitars: Fender Strat. Middle pickup mostly. Ibanez AS120 semi-hollow. Both guitars can get the tone I like. Granted, the actual sound generated might not be exact Jerry, but that's not really my goal. When I play LIKE Jerry, it's pretty darn close though. Again, most of his tone is in the fingers. To get that really smooth, almost glass tone though, start with a really clean amp and add very subtly until you are there!

Good luck!
-G
IMG_1506.JPG
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

#89200 2 years, 5 months ago
Just realized this is an old picture. RAT is OUT! TS9 in.
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds