• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: im new but just interested

#61522 2 years, 11 months ago
TOOL
dogdog
Junior Boarder

#69048 2 years, 11 months ago
The label Jam Band is too limiting. I like bands that stretch and improvise, but that doesn't necessarily make them jam bands. They could be jazz or prog or bluegrassy. Some jam bands jam too much with too little dynamic, which makes them sound monotonous. Good jams need to change tempo, change texture, change volume, and return to tight resolutions to create contrast between stretching and structure. Any band that does these things well is alright in my book, but in my experience they are few and far between. Last time I saw Panic they lacked dynamics and it actually got boring. I loved their early years. These days I lean toward semi-acoustic bands like Cornmeal, Railroad Earth, prog like Belew and Crimson and Gong and Ozric Tentacles, or jazz like Coltrane. All the above jam, but few are considered jam bands.
"Love still rings true."
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#70971 2 years, 10 months ago
DEVIL MAKES 3
WEEN
Old Crow Medicine Show
those are the newer band i dig.
though ween aint too new, i got made fun of for rockin them at a house party in high skewl.
RandyHoe
Fresh Boarder

#74525 2 years, 10 months ago
Summer 2010 I attended my first and only Phish show. The drive from Buffalo was delayed by a flat tire and a spare rim that did not fit my car (don't buy spares from junk yards) on Father's Day. Finally finding a shop open outside of Geneva, we arrived in Saratoga just in time to find party favors and spread out our blanket for the first song. If I were to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy myself I would be lying. But at no time was I filled with that extasy of being in the exact right place at the exact right time that comes to me whenever I hear Phill pick up his bass.

The combination of musicianship, unparalleled song writing, and that special x-factor leaves the Dead peerless amongst other bands. I am just happy to be able to wake up every day knowing that the music lives on. Can't wait for this East Coast run.
Chester
More or less in line

#74533 2 years, 10 months ago
Not a Phish fan. They're ok, just not my thing. Same with moe. I've been really getting into WSP in the last year or two.
That's strange, because I've been aware of them for 20 years, and only recently, really started listening to them. I
loved the GD, and love Furthur. String Cheese is fun, but not much content to their music. I've been getting into a few
blugrass/jam bands lately too. Like Rail Road Earth, Yonder mountain, Garcia Grass, to name just a few. The Jam genre is
a very satisfying one. I like when great musicians can improvise, and play off each other, while whipping the audience to
a dancing, joyous frenzy.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds