• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
pairdoc
Junior Boarder

John K Band

#317426 7 months, 1 week ago
Getting incredibly psyched to see JKB this weekend on his home turf. I must admit that I was a bit slow to hop on this bus, mainly due to my primary focus on Furthur, but now that I've been on board for a while, I don't see getting off, particularly as this ride is picking up speed now that Furthur is on hiatus.

The band continues to impress me more and more each time I see them. While a large percentage of the songs played are great covers from a variety of artists, their interpretation of them has been nothing short of awesome, and they seem to get better as they continually refine them. Of course, John also has a large body of original music some of which stems from his days with Hairball Willie in the 90's and The Mix in the early 2000's, which are even more entrancing. Fortunately for us, John has entered a prolific phase over the past few months during which he has written an impressive number of new songs (enough for two CD's), several of which he will debut this Friday and Saturday in DC and Baltimore, respectively, with the others to follow during his upcoming shows in April, May and June.

One of the best things about seeing the JKB is that it is a fairly intimate experience in smaller, low-key venues (at least for the time being) that invites audience-band interplay that is much more difficult in larger venues. The other great thing is the price point. In December, I saw two consecutive nights for $10 each! The upcoming shows are $15-16 for 3+ hours of amazing music and a great crowd in excellent venues (The Hamilton is in the heart of DC, just a stone's throw from the White House. This has got to be one of the best bargains around! Trust me, once you get on this bus, you will not want to get off. And it's only a matter of time before his playing at such small venues will be a thing of the past.

Hope to see you there! Show details can be found at www.johnkmusic.net and on FB page "John K. Band". In the meantime, there are the upcoming performances with Phil & Friends and The Everyone Orchestra. Enjoy!!

Peace!
----------------------

PAIRdoc
Philadelphia, PA

"Show me a sane man, and I will cure him for you." -Carl Jung

----------------------
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, the highway terror, Strider1
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: John K Band

#317496 7 months, 1 week ago
I totally agree. I think JKB needs to expand and grow into a regular touring band. They are so good. Man I hope they come to Denver again this summer ...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: pairdoc
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#317795 7 months ago
I agree, JK Band is like an underground hidden treasure, playing at small venues really gives you a full on experience you would never get at bigger joints, goin to see them at a bar that holds a few hundred people in a few weeks

-- smell every flower --
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#319498 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Going to see him in Beantown soon...can't wait! I hear nothing but good stuff about this band!!
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#319584 6 months, 3 weeks ago
I am going to a bunch of the ones in the next month (NYC, Wilkes-Barre, Boston. Tuxedo). I also think JKB has gotten very good and am interested in seeing more of them...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, kevin
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#322573 6 months, 1 week ago
rippleish20 wrote:
I am going to a bunch of the ones in the next month (NYC, Wilkes-Barre, Boston. Tuxedo). I also think JKB has gotten very good and am interested in seeing more of them...

don't forget JK Band in May
-- smell every flower --
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds