• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

Whats turning you on music wise

#298804 9 months, 2 weeks ago
With life so busy I have very little time to get into things off the radar, for me anyway, but I've come across a couple lately that have floored me. Recently Esperanza Spalding's recording, Junja and then just last night Dessa-her I caught at one of NPR's tiny desk concerts.

Anyway got me thinking people are making music out there and a lot of it will miss us due to reasons listed above and etc. I thought I reach out and see what is giving like minded people who appreciate goosebumps, what is inspiring your life and giving strength to get through the day. Doesn't have to be anything jambandy, or it certainly most definitley can be. It can be something well known but new to you or something revisted, live or recorded, whatever. Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

Re: Whats turning you on music wise

#298819 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Saw a band a few weeks ago that is worth checking out named Bombino. JK opened for them at a small club in Chicago, which made it even better but this band is really good. Check it out. See what ya think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#299145 9 months, 1 week ago
due to the current revival of electronic music, i am listening to some of stuff i used to listen to when dub was called house or jungle and even deadheads made fun of the way ravers dressed/acted.

so i am currenting listening to MInIsTRY, and uhhh.... well i liked NIN too. Oh, i do like lee perry, but not after some white boy tinkered with it.

when did raver djs stop spinning vinyl? god its all laptops and machines that somehow allow you to
"scratch" a cd/

dj jazzy jeff used vinyl. if its good enough for him, well you dont improve on perfection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#299884 9 months ago
gvanman wrote:
Saw a band a few weeks ago that is worth checking out named Bombino. JK opened for them at a small club in Chicago, which made it even better but this band is really good. Check it out. See what ya think.

Nice thanks for the tip. I am listening to a clip now. I've seen this one around but was hesitant to pick it up. Very cool they were opening for JK. Props for him or whoever it was getting a band like this in front of a dead head audience.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#299885 9 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
due to the current revival of electronic music, i am listening to some of stuff i used to listen to when dub was called house or jungle and even deadheads made fun of the way ravers dressed/acted.

so i am currenting listening to MInIsTRY, and uhhh.... well i liked NIN too. Oh, i do like lee perry, but not after some white boy tinkered with it.

when did raver djs stop spinning vinyl? god its all laptops and machines that somehow allow you to
"scratch" a cd/

dj jazzy jeff used vinyl. if its good enough for him, well you dont improve on perfection.

Super Ape has been on my list for awhile now. Recently discovered King Tubby. Similar I think, pretty dubby but I was surprised how much I liked it. My first preference is for humans playing instruments but Dub from the Roots was an eye opener.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#299889 9 months ago
Anyone get the opportunity to catch The Vigil. Seems I'm always a day late as the saying goes. I almost didnt get past the album art when I first saw it. Promo video blurb on Amazon got me feeling probably missed an amazing show. I tried to link it up here but no go. Chic's got a cool rap going and sounds excited.
Last Edit: 9 months ago by fourwnds.
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

#299957 9 months ago
fourwnds wrote:
gvanman wrote:

Nice thanks for the tip. I am listening to a clip now. I've seen this one around but was hesitant to pick it up. Very cool they were opening for JK. Props for him or whoever it was getting a band like this in front of a dead head audience.

Actually, JK opened for them.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#299969 9 months ago
Gvanman - Have you ever seen Frank Bang and the Secret Stash? He is a native of Chicago, saw them open for NRPS a few weeks ago. Fun time. The bass player is phenomenal.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

#299975 9 months ago
As a matter of fact, yes. It's been a while but he used to do a weekly stint at Buddy Guy's place. I forgot all about that. I'll have to put them back in rotation to look out for. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#301883 8 months, 2 weeks ago
gvanman wrote:
fourwnds wrote:
gvanman wrote:

Actually, JK opened for them.

Oopsy
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds