• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Mrs Deviled Egg
Fresh Boarder

Re: when the boys revive the Dead...

#41994 3 years, 2 months ago
THANK YOU ABBA for putting words to an emotion that has always bugged me about the Furthur crowd.
At DSO you have all these older people that were THERE, man, and they smile at us younger ones that never saw Jerry, and their "gone are the days" tales are beautiful and a part of the legacy continuing, because that seems to be what most of them care about.... the music and culture continuing.
But at Furthur, I have been punched in the front 5 rows for not moving, propositioned for a miracle with disgusting language even AFTER politely saying no, and had to deal with a lot of older guys who just generally have absolutely no respect for the music (when you talk to them these particular jerks usually saw one show in 1994) and want to push the younger people around and make us feel as small and insignificant as possible (at one show, when they went into Looks Like Rain, the guy standing on me that we had been trying to COMMUNICATE with that had begun getting violent FINALLY realized WHERE HE WAS and WHAT HE WAS HEARING and stopped and moved over to his own seat finally, after apologizing and hugging us because "it's looks like rain").
These people walk around trying to find young people who look like they are really into the music standing in the front (like us) during set break, ask about "the first time you saw the boys" just so they can talk crap to you to inflate their own egos (and then steal your spot when they piss you off) when you explain you never saw Jerry and how you were still led to this magical music in your own unconventional way.... then these people say how they saw hundreds of shows in the 90s and you realize you might puke soon from the whiskey on their breath..... sigh. it's a bummer. and now a lot of these pricks are coming to "check out DSO" for the first time and they are just as awful to be around at those shows, but I take it more personally, because I can sigh and give up my spot in front of JK when he is playing with Phil and Bob, but I learned to stand right there watching him in DSO, and that is still my spot, and I don't appreciate being treated like I've never seen a show at DSO when that is like, my home, and these people are seeing it for the first time just to judge it and talk crap. I feel the same way when people come up to the front of Furthur and talk crap on JK, or get mad at ME for telling them Sunshine is not Jerry's daughter or whatever... why do people TALK during shows, anyway? At our first few Furthur shows everyone fought for the Phil side and laughed at us for wanting to stand in front of JK, now it is the most VIOLENT place to stand, and that is really, really sad.
on the OTHER HAND, we have met some of the most amazing, kind hearted, genuine people on the planet on Furthur lot.... some of the miracles I have gotten have been the most beautiful, life affirming moments in my life to date, and the people that recognize me from the internet at shows really make me happy because it starts fun conversation in these face to face meetings, and seeing Phil and Bob play LIKE THAT (like what we listen to all day on the recordings), in fact, in Phil's case, often BETTER THAN EVER, really makes our hearts sooo happy! Seeing Phil smiling at JK is just about the most beautiful sign of cross generational, musical connectedness that we ever get to see. Seriously, Furthur has brought some of the most amazing people on the planet together, and I FORGIVE THE JERKS every show, because the amazing people that have gathered always outweighs the idiots. Furthur is kinda changing the world, at least this little bit of it, for those who are allowing it, and it is a needed change indeed.

And, hey, why do people think that just because all these AMAZING, TALENTED, MIND BLOWING musicians that have played Grateful Dead music in various combinations, and just so happen to be at a lot of the same festivals, that they would ever want to all just play together? This music is life consuming. It takes a toll on the people who play it. The fans are the pickiest fans in the universe. The musicians themselves all have their own inner interpretations of the music, and their own life paths they must follow. Like any relationship, sometimes, when it is over, it's nice to think about the good old days, but sometimes its best for the people to not see each other ever again, or at least not breed (creating music is a lot like breeding.) I dunno, let em all do what they want, I don't hold out a lot of hope for any grand GD musician jams, because I kinda get that they all have their own ego trips now, and that they are all doing beautiful things with that, I just hope JK gets to keep playing super psychedelic, mind expanding music with the best of the best, he deserves it more than anyone.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by Mrs Deviled Egg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba, mountainjam28
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#42689 3 years, 2 months ago
count me among those who think stu allen is the "jerriest" of them all, and would love to see him with barry sless get their chance when the boyz reunite again. but when i recently read that bobby didn't even like how "jerry" jk was at first, i realized he'd probably never go for stu then. i never thought jk even sounded enough like jerry myself, but when stu sings and i close my eyes, jerry's still standin' there...

i'd guess obama's reelection will pull them back together again. but since furthur's audience seems to be rapidly dwindling, i'd love another phil and jackie lineup until then...
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#42744 3 years, 2 months ago
Abba wrote:
taper.tsquare wrote:
i guess the remaining members should do whatever makes them happy. but if they do some sort of reunion, they should not call themselves the GD, the Dead or anything that even implies the name Grateful Dead. for me the GD is a shell of its former self without Jerry. i mean absolutely no disrespect to Phil, Bob, Bill and Mickey by that statement... i love them all. but when Jerry passed so did the Grateful Dead.

When Jerry passed so did the Grateful Dead??? You must mean the name Grateful Dead...because the music has never stopped.. If I remember correctly, which I could be wrong but Jerry was not the only member of the Grateful Dead. The band didn't stop when PigPen died..given that many will say "Its not the same" but you see my point. Why even waste your money going to a show..is it so you can reminisce about the good old days and talk about "You young kids don't even know.....its not the same as when Jerry was here"

How about the simple fact that it is 2011 and there are 15 year old kids walking around lot singing He's Gone....or after a show a young kid tells you he got 3 or 4 songs on his wishlist.

The bus came by, I got on and thats when it all began....where is the verse about the bus stopping

Sorry for being a little bit of a smart ass...just really erks me when folks say its not the same...

Abba: I respect your opinion and I can understand where you're coming from. But I stand by my statement "..when Jerry passed so did the GD". By no means did I mean that the music has passed. It was great then, it's great now, and it will continue to be great. But there ain't no goin' back, and it's ridiculous to try. I don't want to see the remaining members get together to try to recreate the past... because they can't. Without Jerry they are NOT the GD (not even close). Using the name Grateful Dead (or something similar) takes the focus away from the music and sets an expectation that simply cannot be met. That was the point I was trying to make in my previous reply.

Regarding Furthur... Bob and Phil are doing a superb job with Furthur, and Furthur got it right. They're not looking in the rear view mirror. They're looking forward (yipee!). I like that they have adopted a name that pays respect to their heritage, but that also establishes a new identity. I also like that Bob and Phil have brought in some new blood. Jeff (both of them), John, Joe, and Sunshine are wonderful. With Bob and Phil as the core, along with some new players, a fresh name, the whole songbook on the menu and some really cool new ones... that's exciting, a ton of fun and a recipe for success. Let's talk about that.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by .
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#42767 3 years, 2 months ago
I agree that a GD reunion would ring hollow. Jerry was a key ingredient in making the magic happen.

At the same time, the GD will never be gone because the spirit Jerry brought to these tunes is alive and well. Furthur strives to open that channel between audience and band with everyone being a part of it while still preserving their unique identities.

The mere presence of Jerry helped make this happen and it happens for Furthur, sometimes in fits and starts but they always have their moments.

Phil and Bob have ensured that the spirit of Jerry's work and the spirit of the GD lives on. Too special not to.
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#42885 3 years, 2 months ago
i have to disagree that phil is ensuring that the spirit of jerry's work lives on, since he's made his own personal dispute with billy more important than the music itself. but i agree that bobby's doing all he can and, musically speaking, chementi is an incredible channel for the energy that jerry used to bring. jk is more window dressing, imo...
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#42904 3 years, 2 months ago
Seems like they are trying to feature JK more.

I don't make it to every show, but listening to recordings and having gone to both Shoreline shows in June, I kinda picked up on that. The second show they kind of let him go wild a bit. There were definitely some awesome runs but I thought the first night was a better show-- and Chementi was absolutely KILLING IT in the first set, and overall.

Onstage, it has to be strange having someone playing in Jerry's spot after playin' together all of those years. My guess is that you try to not expect certain things but it's kind of second nature to do so at that point.

I feel ya on how Chimenti does grab on creatively and try to feedback his solos through the band and the crowd. His playing has consistently tuned me in since the first Furthur "Death Don't Have No Mercy" that I heard.

I think JK is trying to do that, but I feel like sometimes he holds back, as if he's trying to hard to make sure that he's not screwing up the overall 'band harmony' (cuz as far as musical harmony goes, hes phenomenal). That's why I think they are trying to feature him more now. It's come around to trying to get him out of his shell.

Great things take time.

My 2cents
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#42906 3 years, 2 months ago
i think it's a case that jk is just too reverent of phil (but who wouldn't be?), who is also his boss. jerry had neither of those inhibitions...

did you catch that brief moment at the beginning of the tri broadcast, when jk was asking for phil's approval on something? all i could think was: "jerry never woulda done that!" i doubt jk will ever feel comfortable pushing phil and bobby the way jerry could and often did, and that is the source of him holding back. (and i also think phil and bobby prefer it that way...)
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by mandala.
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#42932 3 years, 2 months ago
Mrs D Egg you are right about the older crowd having that attitude. I'm guilty of it sometimes. I just sorted some bedwetter out the other night for beaking off to a cop who then asked to see some ID. Just keeping your mouth shut sometimes goes a long way. Something I'm really noticing on the summer tour are the people my age getting shit face drunk, barely able to walk or talk and pissing all over the place. Annoying. I'm thinking of starting a dental fund for Shakedown. I noticed the toothless look is 'in' this summer.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#42976 3 years, 2 months ago
i think we can all agree that JK is in a tough spot. but IMO he's doing well and i give him his due props. i was away from the scene for about 17 years and just got back on the bus for the Shoreline shows. it was REALLY weird hearing the music of the GD without seeing Jerry, Mickey and Bill onstage, but Furthur put a big smile on my face. it was SO good to see Phil and Bobby again, and I came away quite pleased with JK's work. i was very impressed with Joe Russo and Jeff Chimenti. so far, the summer shows sound really good and i'm looking forward to my next opportunity see Furthur in Eugene, Las Vegas and Monterey.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by .
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#43182 3 years, 2 months ago
It would be great to see JK with all the dead but i think they should do a few shows with JK then a few with warren then here and there sit ins and that would keep the crowd on their toes man
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds