• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Black Sabbath 2013

#256795 1 year, 2 months ago
I never cared much for the Dio years (I'm not a big Dio fan in the first place). The first six and then Born Again. I know some diehards who swear by Iommi's writing in the 80s. The production is so flimsy and period, and the 80s were not good for heavy metal sound, particularly most major label releases. But I keep trying, and this past couple of weeks I had a breakthrough. I listened to the Heaven and Hell Radio City Music Hall live album. That thing is amazing. Those songs take on a whole new life. For instance, the Dehumanizer tracks are several times heavier and more powerful than the studio versions. It caused me to re-evaluate that material. It's too bad they didn't perform all those albums (though I don't care for bands who do album shows) just so I could have access to that better, fuller sound as found at Radio City Music Hall live. I'd never listen to the proper albums again. Seriously, if you haven't heard it, I recommend it.

and I bet the DVD from Radio City is amazing as well:
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#256865 1 year, 2 months ago
Dio did a tour in europe with the remaining members of sabbath minus ozz(with bill on drums) at some point.
it was billed as "Heaven and Hell"
i would love to see sabbath but without bill on drums, it aint the same.
drums are a huge part of sabbaths sound, and if bill was like im too old, or im not into it, then i would be fine with it, hell if he is done and the rest want to play as a band, the show must go on, but he isnt playing due to cotract issuses.
which i know nothing about, nor do i care to, but i dont wat to see sabbath with anyone but bill.
they are playing shoreline though. on a full moon i think.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#256982 1 year, 2 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
Dio did a tour in europe with the remaining members of sabbath minus ozz(with bill on drums) at some point.
it was billed as "Heaven and Hell"
i would love to see sabbath but without bill on drums, it aint the same.
drums are a huge part of sabbaths sound, and if bill was like im too old, or im not into it, then i would be fine with it, hell if he is done and the rest want to play as a band, the show must go on, but he isnt playing due to cotract issuses.
which i know nothing about, nor do i care to, but i dont wat to see sabbath with anyone but bill.
they are playing shoreline though. on a full moon i think.

Heaven and Hell toured the US as well, I saw them at the 1st Bank right after it re-opened, my last time seeing Dio RIP.

There are times where I actually prefer Dio Black Sabbath over Ozzy .. Live Evil forever transformed me when I was a mere lad.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#256985 1 year, 2 months ago
Have you Dio fans heard The Dio Years with the final three songs they wrote (sort of like bonus tracks)? I have not, but I've heard from a couple rabid, devoted Black Dio Sabbath fans that they're the best they ever did. It seems to be consensus that they're exceptional.

It's too bad Neon Nights isn't as good as Radio City, because I was really in the mood to have more of that joy.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#257163 1 year, 2 months ago
Those three songs are pretty cool. I got to see Heaven & Hell a couple of times, including their final performance at the House Of Blues in AC. In some ways I liked them better than the original Sabbath (but not by much). A lot more weird prog rock.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#257170 1 year, 2 months ago
Equinox wrote:

Still, at some point I'm sure they'll play Philly and there's no way I'd miss it.

You're in Equinox!! 8/10! Needless to say I am SUPER jealous.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#257189 1 year, 2 months ago
Funny you should bring this up, DM. The Philly show is on 8/10. 8/11 is my 12th wedding anniversary so I naturally ran this by the wife. Figured she'd be into it, over the years we've seen the original Sabbath (Ozzy, Geezer, Tony, Bill) about half a dozen times. She wasn't that excited. Didn't feel it was a real Sabbath reunion without Bill Ward. Said she'd prefer a few days at the shore. That's fine. My guess is there's plenty of money to be made here, particularly with a new album out, so I'm sure they'll be back soon enough. Besides, with two (and possibly three) Stones shows, a couple of Further shows, Warren Haynes with an orchestra and a few smaller gigs, our concert cash is pretty much spoken for this summer!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#257201 1 year, 2 months ago
^^Bummer man. What better way to spend a wedding anniversary than at a Black Sabbath show?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#257263 1 year, 2 months ago
Actually my wife's brother used to make Sabbath and/or Ozzfest a family outing. Brought the wife and their three kids. Every time.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds