• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

Re: Favorite song to hear Jerry sing?

#33038 3 years, 1 month ago
Another aspect of Jerry's work that I really like are his many sea-going references, such as Jack-a-Row, The Handsome Cabin Boy and Off to the Sea Once More, which refers to crimping, which is sailors being tricked or forced into going to sea. Apparently San Francisco had an extreme crimping problem during most of it's early history, right up until about 1908, with corruption and collusion being widespread, with the unsavory denizens of the Barbary Coast doing the dirty work, and the authorities looking the other way. The book I read about crimping in SF was a real shocker and an eye-opener about how rough SF really was in the old days. Trust Jerry to tap into that and give voice to those long gone sailors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
JakeStraw
Fresh Boarder

#33270 3 years, 1 month ago
You Are My Shining Star with the JGB. Made me teary-eyed whenever I listen to it.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#33326 3 years, 1 month ago
thats the thing with jerry he could move you so much with his voice on a comes atime or high time but realy get you moving and happy when he belted out cold rain and snow or i know you rider,god he was a force to be recokned with,some of my happiest moments were listening to him sing,i was devastated when he passed on i couldnt cope for a long time after that and stopped listening to the music ,it just upset me too much
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#33502 3 years, 1 month ago
fourwnds wrote:
Stella Blue - not just to hear but see em deliver it I dunno why

this one sticks with me...haunts me, in a good way, to this day. It snuck out of an Other One that began with He's Gone > Cryptical into D/S....Only complaint is they followed it up with Around and Around.... not where my head was by then...A Black Peter would have been nice....keep it shady.

www.archive.org/details/gd1985-06-30.sbd...r.89192.sbeok.flac16

I'm f'n goosebumpin' and tearing up just listening again after many years..............
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Terrapin Sedation. Reason: better version
mddichard07
Junior Boarder

#33511 3 years, 1 month ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:

this one sticks with me...haunts me, in a good way, to this day. It snuck out of an Other One that began with He's Gone > Cryptical into D/S....Only complaint is they followed it up with Around and Around.... not where my head was by then...A Black Peter would have been nice....keep it shady.

www.archive.org/details/gd1985-06-30.sbd...r.89192.sbeok.flac16

I'm f'n goosebumpin' and tearing up just listening again after many years..............

what a killer 2nd set. cant wait to download this. thank you!!
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by mddichard07.
Chester
More or less in line

#33513 3 years, 1 month ago
Inspired by last nights post of 9/5/89, JGB, at Hartford, I'd say Mission in the rain, is one of my favorites that Jerry sang.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds