• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

Musicians, what kind of gear you playing on?

#22112 3 years, 3 months ago
Let's get a thread going with the gear that people are playing. Maybe suggestions for tone, etc. I'll start it out!
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

Re: Musicians, what kind of gear you playing on?

#22115 3 years, 3 months ago

Here's my rig. I'll give you the run down:

Guitars: '96 Fender American Strat with Custom Shop '57s (thinking of putting an on board mid-boost in it as well). Ibanez AS120 (stock).

Pedals: Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron - Fulltone OCD Overdrive - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - Boss Tuner. (I also have a Rat distortion and Cry Baby with Red Facel mod but rarely use either.)

Amp: I just bought this setup. The Cab is an Avatar 2x12 with Celestian Vintage 30's. Power amp is a Carvin TS100 Tube Amp. The preamp is my baby though!! It's an SMS Classic Tube Preamp. Built by Brad Sarno. You can find his stuff online. He builds everything to order and uses all "Boutique" parts. He bases the circuit of this preamp on Jerry's old Fender Twin sound. I plugged in the first time and just about fell over!! Check him out. If you're looking for a Jerry sound, this is it!!! (You can get a ton of different types of tone out of it but the clean is beautiful!!)

Anyhow, that's my rig. What are playing on?
GrayFolded
Junior Boarder
PhilDropsBombs

#22392 3 years, 3 months ago
Here is my heap of junk of a kit....Sounds decent and provides me with much joy...

Specs:
Pearl Mirror Chrome Snare (Very Marchy sounding)
Olympic Series by Premier (All Tom and Bass Shells)
Heads by Evans (Toms and Snare)
Pastie 20' Power Ride
Sabian Pro Series 13' Studio Crash
Sabian Pro Series Hi-Hat (Inverted, Bottom Cymbal is on top)
All Pearl Cymbal Hardware
Pearl P-180 Bass Pedal
Vic Firth 7A Sticks

I'm missing 2 Toms at the moment, I had a Double Tom Arm snap on me months ago and have not had it replaced....But I kinda like the smaller kit right now, I can attempt to do more with less and that just makes you a better drummer according to Buddy Rich...

Best part about it is that my kit is in my room, I can just jam whenever.....Friends stop by once in awhile to jam but I mainly just practice with Headphones on...
LeshPhilingBassGreat
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by GrayFolded.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#22395 3 years, 3 months ago
here's a link to a store in N.Y. City that deals in vintage electronics and gear.
lots of pros go to these guys to get that retro sound

www.musicvalve.com/
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
JStraw
Junior Boarder

#22474 3 years, 3 months ago
Nice rig Flavaham...I want an MXR Carbon Copy. How do you like it?

My rig -

'05 Gibson Les Paul Doublecut P-90's (stock).
Orange Tiny Terror 15W Amp head>
Genz Benz 2X12
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Danelectro delay & reverb

I love the P-90's with a sweet Class A amp, and with 15W you can really open up those valves and not completely blow your ears out!
Those who hear not the music. . . think the dancers mad.
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

#22537 3 years, 3 months ago
JStraw wrote:
Nice rig Flavaham...I want an MXR Carbon Copy. How do you like it?

My rig -

'05 Gibson Les Paul Doublecut P-90's (stock).
Orange Tiny Terror 15W Amp head>
Genz Benz 2X12
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Danelectro delay & reverb

I love the P-90's with a sweet Class A amp, and with 15W you can really open up those valves and not completely blow your ears out!

I really dig the Carbon Copy! The one thing about it (being analog) is that even when you set the decay all the way pinned the signal still fades faster than I want sometimes. If you get into a spacey, noise making kind of thing and want the delay to drone for a bit you have to put some extra work in. Overall though, if you're just trying to add some depth to your sound it is absolutely fantastic. You can really get weird with it if you wanna hit a few notes and start twirling the knoblies!
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

#22538 3 years, 3 months ago
@Grayfolded - Love the stool!! Why no specs on your shag seat?? Dig the kit! I always leaned towards Zildjan and Paiste though. How did you get sold on Sabian?
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by flavaham.
4stringer70
Fresh Boarder

#22600 3 years, 3 months ago
I'm a bassist, but I've carefully assembled my rig to accommodate guitar as well. I have yet to try it out.

Anyway,
I generally play either a 2007 Squier Modified Precision 4 (with passive pups) or 1999 Peavey Millennium (w/active). If the PA system's got subs, I'll use my Ibanez Prestige 6 with Bartolinis and take it for a ride with the low B.

MarkBass LM III 500 (which weighs all of 5 pounds!)
1X12 Roehrworks cab + 1X18 Gallien-Krueger cab

Most of the time I don't use any effects since the LMIII has a really nice compressor/limiter onboard, but when I do bring my pedalboard along I have plenty of firepower to get all Bootsy or Justin Chancellor with it:

Ibanez Phat Hed distortion>Digitech EB7 Bass Synth Wah>Maxon AF 9 auto filter>Boss BF3 Flanger>Boss Bass Chorus>Boss PH3 Phaser

...all of which runs into my trusty TU-3 tuner.
Monkeyfoot
Junior Boarder

#22601 3 years, 3 months ago
I have a lot of guitars, and one cheap Yamaha bass, but my main gear is:
1984 American Stratocaster with an aftermarket Seymore Duncan in the bridge
1997 Gibson ES-335
Vox Valvetronic combo (2x12)
For effects: Boss Overdrive, Boss digital delay, Electro-Harmonix mini Q-tron, Boss distortion, Rocktron Chorus

For acoustic jams or gigs, I have an Ovation Celebrity and play it through a Fender Acoustisonic amp.
blues disciple
Junior Boarder

#22784 3 years, 3 months ago
I play keyboards and sing in our band, The Have Mercy Blues Band. I play a 1956 Hammond C3 organ with a Leslie 122A cabinet and a Casio WK3700 keyboard. The Casio runs through a Peavey KB100 amp or another keyboard amp that I am going to buy from our guitar player.

We play original Christian blues and "positive" blues covers. The only songs we play that were also played by the GD is Johnny B. Goode and I Shall Be Released.

Other gear that I have and tinker around with occasionally is an old Ensoniq Electric Grand, a 1976 Rickenbacker 4001 stereo bass (natural maple finish with white binding), a Fender Squire Strat and a Carlo Robellli acoustic/electric guitar. I also play a violin/fiddle---plaing old tyme, bluegrass and Civil War music at reenactments.

BD
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by blues disciple.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds