• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
njt1rider
Junior Boarder

Portugal. The Man (Post your newly discovered favs

#200129 1 year, 10 months ago
Being a younger head, I listen to a lot of younger bands as well. I just wanted to spread some love to this band. I have been seeing them live for a couple years now and Ill tell you what they kill it every time. There are only a few bands who I first saw live without listening to them before and blew me so far away that they became one of my favorites instantly. Portugal. The Man is one of those bands. What sealed the deal at the first show was when they covered Helter Skelter. What I love about seeing this band live is they Jam out alot of their songs very similar to the Good Old GD. If you are down for sampling some top notch music, check out these vids then check out some of their albums. They have about 10 albums out so I would say start with "The Satanic Satanist/The Majestic Majesty" (The Majestic Majesty is the acoustic version of The Satanic Satanist) then "Censored Colors" then "In the Mountain in the Clouds". I love all their music but i think those albums are the most accessible to new listeners. I forewarn you though, once you give these records a spin or two you will be hooked and acquire all of their albums (which is a good thing anyway!!) O yeah the singer/guitarist John Gourley plays a really sick white falcon. What I would do to have that guitar...

This is a really old song of theirs jammed into a rocking beatles cover: The Devil>Helter Skelter. The jam at the end has soooo much energy

This is a whole HD concert of them at the bluebird in Denver (Coincidentally the first venue I saw them at too) Unfortunately the uploader broke each song down and it gets really annoying but if you can look passed that, it is an awesome show. Highlight here is New Orleans>Bellies are full pretty much up to the encore. Check it out!!!

Reply with your favorite bands of recent years!!
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by njt1rider.
njt1rider
Junior Boarder

Re: Portugal. The Man (Post your newly discovered favs

#200139 1 year, 10 months ago
Another talented man is Tim Kasher. If you not have not heard of this man, I will enlighten you (and your ears) now. Tim is involved in two separate bands and also does solo music. He plays in "Crusive" and "The Good Life" and like I said solo stuff as well. I don't know what kind of genre to group Crusive in you just have to give them a listen. The Good Life is a softer indie type of music with occasional acoustic material. His solo music is a lot of acoustic but also fully produced music as well. I'll give you some youtube samples...but I would check out these albums if any of this strikes you as pleasing:
Cursive: "The Ugly Organ" and "I am Gemini" These guys have put out about 11-12 albums and 90% of it is phenomenal (I dont dig some of the early early stuff its really ruff) If you see these guys playing in a venue near you and your all about a good old rock concert these are the guys to see. Tim has a ton of charisma and puts on a hell of a show
The Good Life: "Album of the Year" and "Help Wanted Nights" This band has about 6 albums out and they are all really good. I have yet to see them live so I can't really comment on their show but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest since Tim is in the band the show is probably excellent.
Tim Kasher (solo): "The Game of Monogamy" This is his first solo attempt and I totally dig it. A lot of his themes in his solo music and The Good Life are about girl friends and break ups and it can get a little heavy sometimes but I still wear all these albums out. Give it a listen!

Cursive: From the Hips from the album Mama I'm Swollen

The Good Life: Always a Bridesmade from the album Lovers need Lawyers

Tim Kasher: Cold Love acoustic before a show (check out the album)

Cursive is on tour as we speak opening for Minus the Bear. You will not regret going to this show.. www.cursivearmy.com/tour/
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by njt1rider.
njt1rider
Junior Boarder

#200146 1 year, 10 months ago
My last endorsement of the day will be a band called Minus the Bear. Once again I cant quite place them into a genre but they are wonderful to listen to. I have never seen them live but I will be remedying that in November (with Curisve opening no less!!!). They have very catchy riffs with a lot of sing a long parts. In a couple albums they incorporate some electronic beats as well. Well just let your ears decide...

My Time from the album Omni

Pachuca Sunrise from the album Menos El Oso

Guns and Ammo from the album Acoustics

All of these bands I have just posted today have toured with each other but man what I do to see them all play on the same bill!!
njt1rider
Junior Boarder

#200498 1 year, 10 months ago
bump for amazing music
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds