• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

Roots of the Grateful Dead: Jug Bands

#192907 1 year, 7 months ago
Jugband music was a huge influence on the Grateful Dead, and not just for their repertoire. Check out some of these videos and how the Jugbands jammed; all of the instruments soloed at once... I've heard Bobby talk about this musical approach, but in a different context.

The 2 most popular Jug bands were Canon's Jug Stompers and The Memphis Jug Band. The band got a lot of songs from these guys, and it's worth checking out.

First up: The Memphis Jug Band and their version of On The Road Again. As one of the you tube comments states, "the original gangsta rap" Recorded in 1928 and it's not safe for work!

These are the good old days!!
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

Re: Roots of the Grateful Dead: Jug Bands

#192909 1 year, 7 months ago
Again, The Memphis Jug Band. Their 1928 version of Stealin Stealin.

BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#192910 1 year, 7 months ago
Canon's Jug Stompers featured the most awesome harmonica player Noah Lewis. They recorded in the late 20's, and were based out of Memphis. They recorded Viola Lee Blues and the rest is history. Enjoy.....

BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#192911 1 year, 7 months ago
Canon's Jug Stompers recorded a tune called Minglewood Blues, and it's available on the 1927-1930 CD re-issue. They later recorded a different version, called New Minglewood Blues, which was hard to find on CD, but thankfully there's a version on you tube. The 2 songs are completely different. Note that the Gdead recorded the tune as New New Minglewood Blues on their 1st LP, and later as All New Minglewood blues on the Shakedown St LP.

I was born in a desert I was raised in a Lions Den....

BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#192912 1 year, 7 months ago
Finally (for now ) a tune that Bobby has performed, KC Moan as recorded by The Memphis Jug band.

I thought I heard that KC when she moan.....

There's certainly a few more, such as canon's Jug Stomper's Big Railroad Blues.
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds