• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

Gregg Allman Interview

#181340 1 year, 8 months ago
From spinner.com

I know you're getting asked about your engagement left and right, but after reading the book, it seems like the big difference with your previous marriages is that you're sober now.

That's true.

Do you think that's a big part of why you want to give marriage another try?

That's not the reason, no. She's actually like my first wife.

In the book, you're not shy about criticizing Dickey's destructiveness from the start. Did it never occur to fire him for so long because you felt responsible for so many of the band's troubles?

You're asking and answering the question at the same time. Is it because of what?

That you didn't realize for so long that he was the destructive factor and maybe blamed yourself?

No, I'd say he was. It got more than we could take, you know?

Dickey didn't seem to fit in with your own modesty as a "frontman" and how the band passed the leadership around, even to newer members like Warren. Do you think that's the secret to the Allmans' longevity, that it was never meant to revolve around one person?

What are you talking about, "leader"? There is no leader in this. We all do our thing. I mean, as far as signing things, you know, I do that. But as far as a "leader"? The only time we're led, so to speak, it goes on in the studio and the producer does that.

And do you think because there's no actual leader is the reason you guys have lasted so long?

No, I think our passion toward music is the reason we've lasted for so long.

One of the most surprising things in the book was learning that you weren't really a Grateful Dead fan. Has their music grown on you at all over time?

Um. A little bit. Little bit.

Considering how much of your career you were using drugs, did you have trouble recalling stories for the book, or have to rely on others' accounts?

No, it didn't affect my memory. I wrote this. [pause] I had to call on this guy. I was always thinking about writing a book, I just had to get it into chronological order, you know, what happened when. And I had a friend help me with that.

Was anyone surprised by how they were portrayed in the book?

No.

Your mother is 94 years old now, right?

Yeah, and this Sunday she'll be 95.

Has she read the book?

She read it twice.

What did she think?

She loved it.

How did it feel to get all that out on the page?

Well, it was over a long period of time. I started in 1981. Actually I'd already finished it and just kind of put it away in the closet somewhere. A few years down the road, I changed managers. And I showed it to him just one day, for the hell of it. And he said let me show this around to HarperCollins. So it became that book.

Why did it feel right to put the book out this year and not much earlier?

I don't know. Not sure. I didn't know I had a book until I showed it to my manager ... I don't know why I didn't do it a lot earlier. I didn't realize I had a book. I just wrote it down like as a journal. Because I had a very, very, very nice life. And I wrote all down so when I'm in this rocking chair in the porch [laughs] I can pick it up and relive some of it.

Is there anything that you wish you wrote more about in the book?

Hmm ... no. But I might write another one.

Is it disappointing that people are focusing so much on the chapter about Cher rather than the other stuff?

I don't know, man. I really don't know. You're asking some strange questions.

Sorry. At the end of the day what record are you most proud of making?

Oooh. I'd say the next one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

Re: Gregg Allman Interview

#181358 1 year, 8 months ago
I gotta say, i love the ABB, have seen some great shows and respect them a ton. But is it just me or does Gregg seem like kind of a dick in every interview?
If that jubilee don't come, maybe I'll meet you, on the run
bow4bass
Junior Boarder

#185995 1 year, 8 months ago
no fun at all, no laughs . .
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by bow4bass.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#186068 1 year, 8 months ago
bow4bass wrote:
ive met him, he is an angry fucker . . .no fun at all, no laughs . .

I met Butch Trucks twice and both times he bitched about Dickey a lot. He said he wished they never recorded Ramblin Man because it was a country song that Betts wrote. He also said that the two drummer thing in the Dead never worked well, and the only people in the GD that could play at all were Jerry, Phil, and Billy. At the time it sounded like he was jealous of the GD's success.

I realize that Betts may have been extremely difficult to get along with, but I admire his great songwriting, which really carried that band for many years. Seriously, if they hate Betts so much why do they play his songs night after night?
These are the good old days!!
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds