Our band plays a bunch of Dead/JGB songs, but we also play some Allman Brothers, Little Feat, Bob Dylan, The Band, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Hank Williams, Sr., Van Morrison, etc.
Here are some suggested topics, though all comments are welcome:
- What are your favorite Dead songs to play?
- What songs by other bands do you play?
- Do you try to play the songs just like the Dead or the other bands played them, do you change them up on purpose, or do you just play them however they come out?
- Do you ever question how many Dead songs you do, worried that you're playing to too narrow an audience?
- What's your policy on playing hits that you know people love, but you either don't like or just don't want to play because they've been played to death?
- If you do play songs you don't particularly like, just out of curiosity, what songs and why don't you like them?
- What gear do you use to get that classic late 1960s and 1970s sound?
- Given that getting folks dancing is likely a primary objective of bands like ours, how many slow songs do you dare to include in your sets?
Again, these are just suggested, and I'm not asking folks to answer all the questions, though knock yourselves out if you do want to.
Also, please feel free to ask any questions of your own.
Mostly intended as an open discussion.