• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

The 1st West Coast Ramble!

#157085 2 years, 3 months ago
grahamelesh.com/

The Rambles have begun! Or continued. They’ve begun at Terrapin Crossroads but in reality they never left. So at the very least last night was the 1st ever West Coast Ramble at Terrapin Crossroads. The theme was “album night”, and the Ramble Band lineup was Phil Lesh, Chris Robinson, Adam MacDougall, John Skehan, Tim Bluhm, Nicki Bluhm, Jon Graboff, Jaz Sawyer, and me.

My family has talked many times about how Levon Helm’s Midnight Rambles were the inspiration for Terrapin Crossroads, and it’s specifically these West Coast Rambles that are the aspect of TC that we really want to reflect the spirit of Levon’s brilliant events. My dad spoke a few words at the beginning of the show that really brought this home, which you can read them HERE in this Rolling Stone recap of the show.

Because of the theme, album night, and because we wanted to honor Levon with this first ever West Coast Ramble, our 1st set was very simple: The Band’s self-titled “Brown Album”. We followed that up with a 2nd set of “Workingman’s Dead,” the legendary Grateful Dead album from the same era. Below is a quick list of the songs and who sang them:

Set 1 (The Band):

Across the Great Divide (CR)
Rag Mama Rag (TB)
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (CR)
When You Awake (TB)
Up On Cripple Creek (CR)
Whispering Pines (NB)
Jemima Surrender (GL)
Rockin’ Chair (TB)
Look Out Cleveland (CR)
Jawbone (GL)
Unfaithful Servant (TB)
King Harvest (CR)

Set 2 (Workingman’s Dead):

Uncle John’s Band (all)
High Time (CR)
Dire Wolf (TB)
New Speedway Boogie (CR & GL)
Cumberland Blues (all)
Black Peter (CR)
Easy Wind (CR)

Encore: Casey Jones (CR/GL/TB)

It really was quite an extraordinary night. Don’t worry, there will be many many more West Coast Rambles in the near future. The next one is tonight! Hope to see you there.

-Grahame
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds