• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

Railroad Earth

#116976 2 years, 6 months ago
Anyone a fan????

I seen them last night in St. Louis and I'm still riding high off it! I've seen them about a handful of times and the 1/27 show had to be my favorite! The way they play is just like sweet birds filling the air with the most beautiful sounds. It's amazing! And the way they have these musical jams with one another is something I yearn to see! Even know I can't always understand the conversation I can understand the flow of the music! It's wonderful!

Each member is so talented! Especially Andy Goessling. I seen him play so many instruments. His usual was the banjo. But he played two saxes at once, a flute, some other kinds flute but not a pan flute I don't know the name but it was beautiful! He also picked up a guitar and mandolin on a few songs. That guy has some talent! Not only him but a few of the other players were very talented in that area. Love the mandolin and violin! And they kept switching between electric bass and stand up bass which I thought was great! The best I ever heard a stand up bass live! It was speaking to me.

If you get a chance check these guys out! If I had to describe their style I would say they are the best dang progressive bluegrass band out there! I know bluegrass isn't for everyone and I happen to appreciate it very much. But Railroad Earth takes it to a whole other level I think everyone can enjoy! Elko is one of their live releases which I like the most and Amen Corner is my favorite studio album if you wanna check them out!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, skidoo, amusingdeva, sunshinemama, Wundurland
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Railroad Earth

#116982 2 years, 6 months ago
Sounds fantastic. I've seen them at a couple of festivals, and I've always enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing them again.
Glad you had a good time. Thanks for the review.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#116998 2 years, 6 months ago
These guys always seem to escape me, I have been trying to see them for three years now and I always miss them...YMSB and RRE are fantastic though
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#117011 2 years, 6 months ago
this is a band that has escaped me for some time as well. but i'm finally going to check 'em out in March and am looking forward to it.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#117376 2 years, 5 months ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:
Anyone a fan????

I seen them last night in St. Louis and I'm still riding high off it! I've seen them about a handful of times and the 1/27 show had to be my favorite! The way they play is just like sweet birds filling the air with the most beautiful sounds. It's amazing! And the way they have these musical jams with one another is something I yearn to see! Even know I can't always understand the conversation I can understand the flow of the music! It's wonderful!

Each member is so talented! Especially Andy Goessling. I seen him play so many instruments. His usual was the banjo. But he played two saxes at once, a flute, some other kinds flute but not a pan flute I don't know the name but it was beautiful! He also picked up a guitar and mandolin on a few songs. That guy has some talent! Not only him but a few of the other players were very talented in that area. Love the mandolin and violin! And they kept switching between electric bass and stand up bass which I thought was great! The best I ever heard a stand up bass live! It was speaking to me.

If you get a chance check these guys out! If I had to describe their style I would say they are the best dang progressive bluegrass band out there! I know bluegrass isn't for everyone and I happen to appreciate it very much. But Railroad Earth takes it to a whole other level I think everyone can enjoy! Elko is one of their live releases which I like the most and Amen Corner is my favorite studio album if you wanna check them out!

I saw them on 12/30 in Denver. They make the dynamite go kaboom.A very under the radar band......but not for long.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#117381 2 years, 5 months ago
That's great you checked them out. Other than Furthur and Panic, RRE is the best band out there hands down. They put their own twist onto the bluegrass sound. You should also check out Cornmeal if you get a chance. They rip it up! This Saturday I get to see the grand daddy of them all when it comes to bluegrass - David Grisman's Bluegrass Experience. They play true bluegrass - mandolin, guitar, stand up base and banjo, that's it and all unplugged.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: strangerinboulder, FurthurFlower67
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#117393 2 years, 5 months ago
I keep checking the archive for a recording of the show but no such luck. I know i seen at least one pair of mics in the air that night.

But found a set list finally!

Set 1
Lone Croft Farewell
Been Down This Road
Bread and Water
The Good Life
The Cuckoo
Just So You Know >
Hard Livin'
Bringin' My Baby Back Home

Set 2
Lordy Lordy
Old Dangerfield
For Love
A Day on the Sand
Carrying Coal to Newcastle
The Hunting Song >
The Green Roofs of Eireann >
Like a Buddha >
Way of the Buffalo >
Stillwater Getaway
Long Way To Go

E: Mission Man

Some of the highlights for me where Been Down This Road....and I don't go there anymore! Hard Livin' where Andy played both his saxes at the same time! And Brinigng My Baby back home is always a nice foot stomper!!

Second sets at RRE shows are always where its at! They took it to a whole other level in the second set. Pretty much everything was The Hunting song to the finish of the second set was amazing!!! They played my favorite Smile Like A Buddha! And Way of the Buffalo is amazing!

So glad there are a few of you out there who like them! And for those who haven't seen them I can't wait til you check them out! I'll be looking for a recording from your Trent!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#117457 2 years, 5 months ago
Furthurflower - I have a few RRE recordings if you are interested. Just finished listening to the New Years shows (that I missed for you know who), sounded like a fun 3 days for sure.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#117499 2 years, 5 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Furthurflower - I have a few RRE recordings if you are interested. Just finished listening to the New Years shows (that I missed for you know who), sounded like a fun 3 days for sure.

Thanks for the kind offer!!! But their is plenty of it on archives...I was just hoping the show I went to would pop up but I do believe they eventually put their shows up for sale afterwards.

And I forgot to mention Cornmeal! Im very familiar with them. They are from Chicago and I live in St. Louis so they have came to town lots and played a few little festivals here in Missouri. I have their Feet First release and Live in Chicago release if you are interested? I can bring them to Broomfield.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#117568 2 years, 5 months ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:
Denver Man wrote:

Thanks for the kind offer!!! But their is plenty of it on archives...I was just hoping the show I went to would pop up but I do believe they eventually put their shows up for sale afterwards.

And I forgot to mention Cornmeal! Im very familiar with them. They are from Chicago and I live in St. Louis so they have came to town lots and played a few little festivals here in Missouri. I have their Feet First release and Live in Chicago release if you are interested? I can bring them to Broomfield.

Cool!! Yeah I'm really digging Cornmeal. We're seeing them in March at my favorite dive, same place Grisman is playing... the one and only Ogden Theatre!! Caught them last summer at NedFest and I thought they were the best band of the whole weekend. At least the most rockin!!

Broomfield is approaching quickly
Time to create page: 0.84 seconds