• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

Cactus

#112463 2 years, 9 months ago
I'm wondering if ANYONE here ever heard of a band called Cactus from the early 70's with Carmine Appice and Tim Bogart ( Vanilla Fudge ) and my GREAT friend Jimmy McCarty who like me is from Detroit. Cactus released a couple albums and toured everywhere until Jimmy quit to move back home to Detroit. Carmine and Tim then got Jeff Beck to do a record and tour after that..........
My friend Jimmy has influenced a lot of killer guitar greats includiing: Eddie Van Halen, Ace Frehley, along with Ted Nugent ( The Anti- Hippie ) and many others. Jimmy McCarty has played and recorded with Hendrix ( 9 To The Universe, Jimmi Jimmy Jam ), Joe Bonamassa, Warren Haynes and The Mule, Bob Seger, and a host more. Here is a sample of some prime Cactus on tour below:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="www.youtube.com/embed/VkBXlU_Uakg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Major Riff rock but GREAT GUITAR playing and they will be in Times Square at BB Kings April 18th.. Im going AFTER Furthur.......
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Cactus

#112481 2 years, 9 months ago
Wow! You mean your friend was the "Jimmy" in the Jimi/Jimmy Jam? That's really cool. I have that album on vinyl.
And I've heard of "Cactus", but I'm not familiar with their work.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#112513 2 years, 9 months ago
Yes Chester, Jim McCarty is the "other" Jimmy and he quit Cactus sometime after they played MSG in late 71'. McCarty also replced Hendrix in The Buddy Miles Blues Express in the late 60's after Mitch Ryder broke up the Detroit Wheels in 68 to go to Vegas leaving McCarty without a band, UNTIL Hendrix called Buddy......
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#112624 2 years, 9 months ago
Cool. I didn't know that.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#113372 2 years, 9 months ago
I have fond memories of Cactus though, unfortunately, I never got to see them.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
eddieb
Fresh Boarder

#115939 2 years, 9 months ago
I was a huge fan of Jimmy, and Cactus. I saw them in their prime all over NY, including every appearance at the Fillmore East, Action House, and anywhere else within driving distance of Long Island. He was as good as it gets. So were they, until the unfortunate split. My Cactus stubs...
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds