• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

Re: 6 string basses

#100196 2 years, 8 months ago
You can scramble up and down the neck and hit almost all the same notes. The benefit of 5 and 6 strings, depending on how you tune is to acces that lower register.
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#100200 2 years, 8 months ago
6 string basses and whiskers on kittens......ooops thought this was the Von Trapp Family Holiday thread, sorry 'bout that chief

the Fender Bass VI. always wanted to check one out, screw around with the tuning & make some loud noise. I think Rick Danko played one, but haven't heard him play it on a recording. Those Lovable MopTops might've played one on a few albumins.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#100207 2 years, 8 months ago
Chester wrote:
I never thought about this much. Thanks for opening my mind to it. I don't play bass, but I do play guitar.
I can imagine what it would be like to go from a 4 string to a 6 string a little. Seems like it would open up
a world of new possibilities in chord structure, and scales. I wonder why the 4 string bass became so popular?
Am I correct in presuming, the tuning would be the same as a 6 string guitar, only in a lower register?

well, original versions like the fender VI someone just mentioned above (sorry can't see the page, don't have a functioning short term memory) were tuned an octave lower. somewhere along the line in the 70's they created the BEADGC tuning that is used on most 6 strings made today i believe
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#100214 2 years, 8 months ago
wlewis wrote:
, little bear we wouldn't ever have a shot at something like that (festivals).... NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE YOU WON'T .... we hope to see YOU again little bear..well i will on NYE.... LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#111148 2 years, 7 months ago
I DID IT.

i bought a six string bass. played it at rehearsal last night, first time with workingman's dead. it was awesome. it's nothing special it's an ibanez 206 but i got a great deal on it, and it looks and sounds beautiful. it's opened up so many new ideas and paths. it's my platform to jump with the idea of using 6 strings. next one is going to be a modulus, no doubt about it.

can't wait to give it the true test run at our show next friday.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#111174 2 years, 7 months ago
Congratulations, Burt! I know it's always a major holiday here when a new instrument enters the family, so I'm sure you're very excited. Have big fun with it at the gig!!
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#111177 2 years, 7 months ago
The band that jams down the street from me on Fridays has a guy that has brought one of thses bad boys the past couple of weeks. Real Cool

(4 string Jazz base from the 60's)
Attachments:
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by ecojaded.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#111178 2 years, 7 months ago
I don't know shit about playing a bass. Did phil play the first 6 sting bass? I thought heard that before
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#111290 2 years, 7 months ago
no ryan, he didn't. he didn't make the jump until 1982-12-28.

they sure are fun as hell though!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#111979 2 years, 7 months ago
Phil's first bass was a Gibson EB-1 with action like a broom stick more than likely. Wait, he actually played a broomstick on TV

once. It had a single stock pickup.

He later modified it and played it on an a record for another up and coming musician.... Must not have been too bad.

Way to go lewis! Look forward to checking that thing out!
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Bilbo.
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds