• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

6 string basses

#99977 2 years, 10 months ago
first off, anyone play on personally?

at 24 i've been playing just over 10 years, just under half my life really. i've always played a 4 string. i've wanted a 6 string for a very long time. of course i dream of a beautiful (yet incredibly expensive, upwards of $5K) custom made modulus bass.

i was doing some xmas shopping yesterday and passed the "local" guitar center and decided to pop in and see what their deal was. i am not a big fan of GC but they seem to be competing for lowest prices now with anywhere online and in store. my whole life, they never had anything over 4 strings, except one time they had some shitty used 5 string. everything was different they had a section of 5's and a "specialty" section that included 6 strings, lefties, fretless..i wonder if all the other bassists complained too. i'd always tell them they should have 5's and 6's. anyways, the 6er selection was not the greatest but i played a very basic ibanez gsr206. ironic my first bass was a gsr200, same exact style and black color. it was exhilarating to say the least. all o f a sudden my runs were double in length, but able to take such short routes there instead of climbing. but when i started to experiment with the upper registers it was a task. i don't have huge hands, but i can make them move, and i pick with my right. not a task i am not up for. i was going to get the iphone 64 gig, runs about 400 or so . after playing this bass, i think i'm just going to say fuck that, i'm getting the bass. it's not my dream bass but 6 strings is 6 strings right now.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: 6 string basses

#99979 2 years, 10 months ago
my best friend is a bassist in a boston based band uses schecters and has recently moved onto Modulus bases. He plays in both Doctor Doom Orchestra (sublime/311/chili peppers/funk) and Das Muerte (which is a metal band with an outlaw flair basically). He enjoys both but has recently mentioned how much more he enjoys the tone and technical playability of the modulus series of basses more for the moment. If you wanna here is playing check out either of these guys websites below. Both bands compose their own music and play covers.

Doctor Doom Orchestra
www.doctordoomorchestra.com/

Das Muerte
www.reverbnation.com/dasmuerte
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Dire Wolf.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#99980 2 years, 10 months ago
he uses a five string not a six sorry i didnt mention this before...though for Das he may use a six....can't remember now baah!
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#99986 2 years, 10 months ago
Hey now! I'm a bass player 30 years now and have never played a 6 string. I have a Wal Pro 2E 21 frets.
I play it like a guitar sometimes soloing over my guitar playing friends.
Let me know how that transition is going.
I, too have wondered about going 6 string after seeing the Phil/Further thing up close.
(I was always too far from stage at the Grateful Dead shows)
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#99987 2 years, 10 months ago
Build your own....dont settle for mass produced GC schwag... holdout for the right one...you dont have a local music shop around! And I also strongly recommned assembling your own I did for my own stratocasters and got a multi-thousand dollar quality instrument and parts for under around a grand maybe a little less. all you need are some basic tools, a soldering iron for electronics, and start accumulating vintage parts. You can find vintage capacitors and wiring that they use in the most top end boutique instruments for pennies on the dollar and everything will be EXACTLY to you liking. I strongly recommend this route it is not as hard as it sounds and is extremely rewarding when you first plug it in and hear those notes from your own two hands! Look on the internet for wiring diagrams and instructions and helpful hints...doing research before hand will help you produce a phenomenal instrument for a fraction of the price.

i will never buy and an instrument again...unless it is from a master luthier
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#99989 2 years, 10 months ago
Not a bass player myself Burt but from friends I've talked to who are, they seem to have only praise for the 6 string bass. The ones that I do know that have them do say that they were glad they got em some years down the line as it's quite tricky for newbies to get the hang of. Being that you have ten years under the ol' belt, I say screw the iphone!

By the Way I'm sure you have but was wondering if you ever seen this guy:

Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#99994 2 years, 10 months ago
If you build it...they will come!!
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#100136 2 years, 10 months ago
Not much to add, but this: An OldTimer friend of mine who plays bass says he always wished Phil had never switched to a 6 string, The reason being that He now has to put much less effort into it (He used to love to watch him scramble up and down the neck tryin to play EOTW) In his Opinion the 6 string (and the 6 string player) is the lesser because it takes less work to play essentially the same thing

Besides, What are the other guys in your band gonna say when they don't see you sweatin and grindin your teeth trying to get it just exactly perfect? They are going to attempt to find some way to up the game and put you back where you belong!

On another note, I look forward to seeing your band again, I had allot of fun (I believe AllGood and the 'Vibes book their Line up around this time of year )
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Little Bear.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#100175 2 years, 10 months ago
dire wolf, i do not have the time or the money for that. i am just interested in jumping to the 6. i play in a GD cover band, and collaborate with some other musicians on original material. i am not a basic player 4 note measure type bassist. i want 6 strings and an extended fretboard to expand my horizons. i've felt far too limited on 4 strings for too long. when i gripped that wide neck and starting falling above and below where i was normally hitting, my brain went nuts. "THIS RANGE!" "THIS IS INCREDIBLE" "YOU NEED ONE OF THESE" when i've got money and time to do nothing but learn to make my own bass, i just may do that. i've still got my little heart on a custom made modulus. that is one hell of a tone right there, every single one of those babies.

ablebaker--from the very short time i was using it i was loving it. it was not all that difficult or different. nothing jumps a half step like a guitar (which i also took on to learning recently after 10 years of saying i will)..the weirdest thing was going to hit my e string and hitting the low B a lot because i'm so used to having that E be the bottom. same with the top string, was not used to being able to run up there.

littlebear--i know what your buddy is talking about. less movement for things you already know. but any good improv musician knows once you feel comfortable change it up. phil took on some insane finger work on the upper registers of his bass i absolutely love late 80's GD because phil is hitting these strides and runs he previously wasn't, it's killer. in the 90s he was phenomenal, that's when he really started taking on the style we hear him playing today

i think it would bring a new intensity into the playing and if they want to spin their styles too i'm in, little bear we wouldn't ever have a shot at something like that (festivals) we don't even play outside the same few local venues as of right now. with the right practice and approach yes, but don't count of it! maybe someday the original lineup...we hope to see YOU again little bear..well i will on NYE
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Chester
More or less in line

#100180 2 years, 10 months ago
I never thought about this much. Thanks for opening my mind to it. I don't play bass, but I do play guitar.
I can imagine what it would be like to go from a 4 string to a 6 string a little. Seems like it would open up
a world of new possibilities in chord structure, and scales. I wonder why the 4 string bass became so popular?
Am I correct in presuming, the tuning would be the same as a 6 string guitar, only in a lower register?
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds