• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder
Posts:552

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#100883 2 years, 7 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
what i see as part of the problem is that TM is by all definitions a criminal, the only problem is they are really really really good at what they do...they have the money to promote the top shows, they have the servers to handle 100,000 + requests at the same time, etc...i really think if someone started another service like TM but wasn't as concerned with making money and more concerned with the fans than they'd be really successful and that TM would probably slowly falter, but as we all know in today's society cash is king


Ticketmaster would destroy any new competition. They are a monopoly, plain and simple. If you don't use TM, you can't play in clear channel/AEG venues. It's a monopoly and just a few years ago congress approved of this monopoly. Very sad.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4900
R U Kind?

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#100885 2 years, 7 months ago
The one time I tried cookies they put me to sleep. The woman selling them suggested I do NOT take them at a show, unless I want to crash. For me, smoking is more fun , uplifting.

Unless I got a batch of indica rather than sativa edibles. All I know is they were blueberry sugar cookies (I think I got them in Albany - definably this fall)
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
kevin
Platinum Boarder
Posts:3256

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#100891 2 years, 7 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Last Sunday's tales from the golden road also talked about rowdy security at shows. The caller was asking about Adam Katz, a deadhead found dead after a meadowlands (Giant's Stadium?) show (I think it was late '80's or early '90's). Adam was supposedly found dead on the road under an overpass. The "heads" say Adam was thrown off - head first --by security. Security said he was high and thought he could fly. Apparently there are no eyewitness accounts, other than from the security (who were accused)

Anyway, David Gan's (or Gary Lambert) said the dead always send their security people to the venue to express how they want their fans to be treated. But the band doesn't have the power to really control the police.

By the way, the same show discussed how they also need to negotiate with the promoter how many tickets to a particular event GDTS TOO will be allotted. And Gans (Lambert? ) said GDTS's fights to get as many tickets as they can.

That's an interesting take on why they didn't book best buy again. Security was super tight there last spring. I never had anybody else look over the bathroom stall door while it was closed, I assume looking for drugs, etc.


it was october 21, 1989 I was there and first hand saw a bunch of north jersey goombahs moonlighting as "security" what i saw was a bunch of out of control "yellowjackets" looking to bust heads. when i heard about adam katz, i was and still am convinced those tough guys were looking to "fuck with a deadhead" and unfortunately did.

RIP adam katz
-- smell every flower --
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4900
R U Kind?

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#100895 2 years, 7 months ago
kevin wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Last Sunday's tales from the golden road also talked about rowdy security at shows. The caller was asking about Adam Katz, a deadhead found dead after a meadowlands (Giant's Stadium?) show (I think it was late '80's or early '90's). Adam was supposedly found dead on the road under an overpass. The "heads" say Adam was thrown off - head first --by security. Security said he was high and thought he could fly. Apparently there are no eyewitness accounts, other than from the security (who were accused)

Anyway, David Gan's (or Gary Lambert) said the dead always send their security people to the venue to express how they want their fans to be treated. But the band doesn't have the power to really control the police.

By the way, the same show discussed how they also need to negotiate with the promoter how many tickets to a particular event GDTS TOO will be allotted. And Gans (Lambert? ) said GDTS's fights to get as many tickets as they can.

That's an interesting take on why they didn't book best buy again. Security was super tight there last spring. I never had anybody else look over the bathroom stall door while it was closed, I assume looking for drugs, etc.


it was october 21, 1989 I was there and first hand saw a bunch of north jersey goombahs moonlighting as "security" what i saw was a bunch of out of control "yellowjackets" looking to bust heads. when i heard about adam katz, i was and still am convinced those tough guys were looking to "fuck with a deadhead" and unfortunately did.

RIP adam katz


I recall the yellowjackets "storming the parking lots" that day too on stealth missions. If I recall correctly, I THINK that was a two day run. Anyway, the security was definitely looking to enforce their rules - including open bottles which is insane when you have 50,000 people. But after multiple long searches for information on what happened to Adam my understanding is they've come up with nothing but speculation.

Yes, RIP Adam
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder
Posts:130

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#101150 2 years, 7 months ago
lostsailor wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:
what i see as part of the problem is that TM is by all definitions a criminal, the only problem is they are really really really good at what they do...they have the money to promote the top shows, they have the servers to handle 100,000 + requests at the same time, etc...i really think if someone started another service like TM but wasn't as concerned with making money and more concerned with the fans than they'd be really successful and that TM would probably slowly falter, but as we all know in today's society cash is king


Ticketmaster would destroy any new competition. They are a monopoly, plain and simple. If you don't use TM, you can't play in clear channel/AEG venues. It's a monopoly and just a few years ago congress approved of this monopoly. Very sad.


Nonsense. Fact is AEG is creating their own ticketing system and leaving Ticketmaster. Broomfield, Hartford, Staples are all going to be switching. They are doing this in house. Merriweather used Ticketfly.

Where the customer gets screwed is by contracts like MSG where you cannot even get tickets without fees on the first day of the onsale. I would love to see a law that requires a % of no fee tickets at the Box. Increased competition may help the consumer a bit, and local independent venues are greatly being helped by this as technology advances.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1433

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#101153 2 years, 7 months ago
Cornjulio wrote:
lostsailor wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:
what i see as part of the problem is that TM is by all definitions a criminal, the only problem is they are really really really good at what they do...they have the money to promote the top shows, they have the servers to handle 100,000 + requests at the same time, etc...i really think if someone started another service like TM but wasn't as concerned with making money and more concerned with the fans than they'd be really successful and that TM would probably slowly falter, but as we all know in today's society cash is king


Ticketmaster would destroy any new competition. They are a monopoly, plain and simple. If you don't use TM, you can't play in clear channel/AEG venues. It's a monopoly and just a few years ago congress approved of this monopoly. Very sad.


Nonsense. Fact is AEG is creating their own ticketing system and leaving Ticketmaster. Broomfield, Hartford, Staples are all going to be switching. They are doing this in house. Merriweather used Ticketfly.

Where the customer gets screwed is by contracts like MSG where you cannot even get tickets without fees on the first day of the onsale. I would love to see a law that requires a % of no fee tickets at the Box. Increased competition may help the consumer a bit, and local independent venues are greatly being helped by this as technology advances.


This could be a good idea rather like freeing up the health insurance market by letting people by their own across sate liens, etc..
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder
Posts:5732

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#101206 2 years, 7 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
kevin wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Last Sunday's tales from the golden road also talked about rowdy security at shows. The caller was asking about Adam Katz, a deadhead found dead after a meadowlands (Giant's Stadium?) show (I think it was late '80's or early '90's). Adam was supposedly found dead on the road under an overpass. The "heads" say Adam was thrown off - head first --by security. Security said he was high and thought he could fly. Apparently there are no eyewitness accounts, other than from the security (who were accused)

Anyway, David Gan's (or Gary Lambert) said the dead always send their security people to the venue to express how they want their fans to be treated. But the band doesn't have the power to really control the police.

By the way, the same show discussed how they also need to negotiate with the promoter how many tickets to a particular event GDTS TOO will be allotted. And Gans (Lambert? ) said GDTS's fights to get as many tickets as they can.

That's an interesting take on why they didn't book best buy again. Security was super tight there last spring. I never had anybody else look over the bathroom stall door while it was closed, I assume looking for drugs, etc.


it was october 21, 1989 I was there and first hand saw a bunch of north jersey goombahs moonlighting as "security" what i saw was a bunch of out of control "yellowjackets" looking to bust heads. when i heard about adam katz, i was and still am convinced those tough guys were looking to "fuck with a deadhead" and unfortunately did.

RIP adam katz


I recall the yellowjackets "storming the parking lots" that day too on stealth missions. If I recall correctly, I THINK that was a two day run. Anyway, the security was definitely looking to enforce their rules - including open bottles which is insane when you have 50,000 people. But after multiple long searches for information on what happened to Adam my understanding is they've come up with nothing but speculation.

Yes, RIP Adam
i was at both shows and they (security)were def out of control. adam was def killed by those goons if i remember correctly they found one of his hairs in a security van. for those who dont know heres a link www.rockrap.com/archive/arch112a.html
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by 83msg1sttyme.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder
Posts:552

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#101220 2 years, 7 months ago
It's still the same idea- But now there's two instead of Ticketmaster. I was not aware of the split, but really the two will still walk lock step - the charges will be the same and they will be price fixing it. It is still a monopoly.

What they need to do is break up ticketmaster and turn it into a regional thing like Ma Bell. Pass a law that the ticketseller cannot have an interest in the venue. introduce competition.

But they won't because people are not protesting this. The majority of americans are not going to 10 different shows a year like we do and could care less about this. They just don't see it.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder
Posts:552

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#101222 2 years, 7 months ago
I do not think for a minute that this will lead to any competition. One of these guys on top of the hill will either topple the other or buy th eother out and merge.

~~~~~

AEG Rolls Out Ticketmaster Competitor AXS
Zach Edwards News August 26, 2011
AEG, the entertainment giant, has announced they are launching their very own ticket selling service online called AXS (pronounced “Access”).

This means that AEG won’t be relying on Ticketmaster any longer, which is the dominant online ticket retailer that every year sells tickets by the hundreds of millions to event goers who are looking to avoid trips to a box office prior to the event.

Lisa Zedelmaier, a concert goer said, I don’t need to go anywhere. It’s so easy. I don’t need to drive anywhere. All I have to do is click my mouse to order and then print my tickets out.

Convenience does have its price though. For example, for a Taylor Swift $79 ticket at Staples Center there is an addition $12.50 convenience fee in addition to another $2.50 for using your own ink and printer to print your ticket out. AXS doesn’t charge fees for office or home printing or for emailing tickets.

The website axs.com is online already. Currently, however, if you try to purchase tickets you are transferred to Ticketmaster or some other ticket selling service online. On Saturday, they began to rolling out their ticket selling out in limited fashion. At first, tickets will only be available for two Denver AEG theaters. Among the first performances to become available through axs will be from the group Social Distortion.

Tim Leiweke, AEG CEO and President said, creating the axs platform allows us to deliver an experience that is more complete for both our brand partners and consumers. He described the development as something that would move the company forward strategically.

Zedelmaier said, not having to pay a fee for the email for printing does appeal to her. However, unless she plans to leave Southern California, it’s going to be some time before she’ll be able to benefit from it. Axs won’t start processing LA Staples Center event tickets until next year year during the second quarter.

However, many from the ticketing industry are expecting that Ticketmaster will soon be feeling pressure.

Donald Vaccaro, TicketNetwork CEO from the ticket resales online market based out of Connecticut said, consumers finally will have some type of competition that AEG provides to benefit from.

Ticketmaster didn’t comment on the AXS roll out announcement. However, they have known this was coming for a long time. Ticketmaster last year, in order for their merger to be allowed with Live Nation Entertainment, was required to agree with conditions that the U.S. Justice Department imposed for fostering new competition. One requirement was that Ticketmaster had to make available their ticket processing software to AEG. However, AEG did ultimately decide to use a system that was developed by Outbox Enterprises, a start up company from Canada. Other clients of theirs are Cirque du Soleil.

There are over 100 AEG venues worldwide. It is expected that their axs roll out will continue thought 2012. However, Outbox is intending to woo other non-AEG theaters, stadiums and arenas, including ones that currently use Ticketmaster. One of the features that the Outbox software allows, is for the ticket purchaser to be able to have interactions with the website from a venue instead of being transferred in order to make their purchase. Outbox’s systems also has the ability to deliver online content. AEG is expecting to add that feature to axs eventually.

Ticketmaster is familiar with Fred Rose, the CEO of Outbox and man who challenged the status quo. During the early 1980s into the late 1990s, Ticketmaster overwhelmed their competition and dominated the ticketing industry online. The company at that time was run by Rosen. Now he is looking to dethrone Ticketmaster.

concerttour.org/aeg-rolls-out-ticketmaster-competitor-axs.php
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder
Posts:130

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#101378 2 years, 7 months ago
Part of the issue is a number of AEG venues, or promoted venues, had contracts with TM. So those need to run out.

Frontage Ticketing was started by SCI, after they took TM to court and won! They have done great by me, and are certainly better than TM.
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds