• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

Re: Furthur management PLEASE peak inside

#100623 2 years, 7 months ago
The solution to this whole problem is after the Beacon run Furthur plays one night at MSG for all those who got shut out from the Beacon.
will work for doses
Senior Boarder

#100624 2 years, 7 months ago
Now that I said the short reply, here's more. I was lucky to see many historical shows in the 80's and have seen some good shows since then. I feel fortunate. Sorry for all those feeling less so right now. I didn't get any tickets to the Beacon, and having seen Phil/Friends there cat attest it's a great place. At the very least right now, being ticketless for Beacon I AM ECSTATIC they are not playing Best Buy (aka the cop shop).

I checked the MSG schedule, and looks like the place would be open for a show after the Beacon run. Hey, it's the same management. Furthur picks up a little more sound/lights locally and plays a show there and all those who didn't get in for the Beacon now have a chance for a great show. Sounds feasible to me, and Furthur offsets the cost of this short theater run.

Furthur and your management, would you please consider this?
will work for doses
Senior Boarder

#100627 2 years, 7 months ago
Sorry you're tasting the sour grapes.

Can't handle your comment about Italy wishing the Grateful Dead were still selling out stadiums so their economy might not be so bad. I guess you were trying to be funny.

Furthur like any band that is popular and can sell out 8 nights in a 2,800 seat theater in a couple hours realizes they can make more money playing 2 nights in the 17,000 seat MSG. So why wouldn't they do that instead? Because they'd like to play a smaller more intimate setting and share that experience with the fortunate. I commend Furthur for their choice. I don't think Furthur looks at this as an opportunity to take advantage of the fans, but unfortunately they're part of the "system", and the system is/has always been skewed towards those who can put up the money to buy Furthur's time and guaruntee them venue/labor/promotion, etc. Last week I saw a full page ad in the Vilage Voice for the Beacon shows and thought "wtf?" Those of us who will go see Furthur in NYC don't need the Village Voice to let us know, I already knew. So that was one unnecessary expense in putting on these shows, but I digress.

Anyway, Furthur management, I believe, have their hands tied. One thing they could do was eschew Best Buy probably because they were tired of seeing their fans hauled off in the paddy wagon for smoking herb. So they took their show elsewhere. We can be glad for that. I don't think Furthur management are making shady back room deals to take a little more off the top at our expense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#100788 2 years, 7 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
i dig that furthur is everybodys fav. band(on this board) or at least up there in their fav. bands/musicians.
"had a steady job, runnin items for the mob, know the pay was pathetic, its a shame those boys couldnt be more copasetic"
there will always be shit like this.
i like the dylan and tom waits approach. no presale tickets.
tickets only available at the door, first come first served, one ticket per person.
thats it, no ifs ands or buts.
but only dylan and waits have have done it as far as iknow

That's another great idea! I'd be sure to get there early enough to get in. I bet they'd sell out, still, and the band/venue could actually get more money without having to deal with TM!
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#100813 2 years, 7 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
Thanks shake it I was hoping if I kept pounding the message out there that some with intelligence would actually try to read up and do some research. So basically in a nutshell TM took 450 seats over 20% of the house and never put em on sale to the General Public. Went directly to their own scalping site.. it can't be any more obvious. & don't think for a second that as part of negotions that the band can't demand X amount of tickets for their own "fan club" ticketing . Point again being that Furthur is not innocent in any way... they are in collusion with TM to allow this to happen.. I'm not saying the "boyz" themselves but their management and representatives. This is against everything the GD stood for. Those who can't see this and be PISSED off obviously have trouble spelling C A T.

I have to disagree on your point that Furthur has any power to change the system. I think you are completely misunderstanding the history and the power that TM (and all its subsidiries) has. I think if you spent some time doing the research you are asking others to do, you would understand the full picture. Let's put it this way: Ticketmaster and live nation, 99% of the theaters Furthur (and all the other bands) would play, and the staffing of these places is all owned by the same company. If you want to play in these places, they set the rules and the bands must say thank you.

I've always believed and continue to believe TM has a backdoor for scalpers. They can simply claim to have good seats in an ambigious location, go online and see what's available in the backdoor and they pay TM, indirectly of course, a referral. I have no proof, but I've seen how referrals work in legal settings and it's the same thing.

Stop blaming the band for something unless you can show exactly what they have done or not done to help us. Go look at what Dylan does, or what other band shave tried (and mostly failed to do) to get around Ticketmaster. To me it sounds a lot like blaming Thomas Jefferson for not freeing the slaves. It's a little more complicated than that. no, it very complicated.

So in a nutshell- stop complaining until you have proof. I think Further is doing a great job. GDTS is a dinosaur. They obviously should get more tickets. If you live in New York start a petition and bring that petition to your state rep and explain the situation. But until then, you can't blame the band.
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#100859 2 years, 7 months ago
will work for doses wrote:

Anyway, Furthur management, I believe, have their hands tied. One thing they could do was eschew Best Buy probably because they were tired of seeing their fans hauled off in the paddy wagon for smoking herb. So they took their show elsewhere. We can be glad for that. I don't think Furthur management are making shady back room deals to take a little more off the top at our expense.

Well If you thought Best buy was Smoking intolerant.... let me introduce the new and improved smoke detector, AKA., The Beacon Theater!!

They tore our tickets in half at the Wavy Gravy BDAY Bash, that way if you get caught again they see its not your first offense, and down into uptown you go.

Just a reminder, Please Smoke before you get to the show, So as not to have yourself kicked out, and inconvenience those of us around you who choose to abstain

Thanks
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#100861 2 years, 7 months ago
Little Bear wrote:
will work for doses wrote:

Well If you thought Best buy was Smoking intolerant.... let me introduce the new and improved smoke detector, AKA., The Beacon Theater!!

They tore our tickets in half at the Wavy Gravy BDAY Bash, that way if you get caught again they see its not your first offense, and down into uptown you go.

Just a reminder, Please Smoke before you get to the show, So as not to have yourself kicked out, and inconvenience those of us around you who choose to abstain

Thanks

guess well be smuggling some good cookies instead of good buds
-- smell every flower --
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#100865 2 years, 7 months ago
Smuggle? With the time elapse and length of action possessed by edibles, why not simply ingest before even entering. and runnin the unnecessary risk?
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#100872 2 years, 7 months ago
Last Sunday's tales from the golden road also talked about rowdy security at shows. The caller was asking about Adam Katz, a deadhead found dead after a meadowlands (Giant's Stadium?) show (I think it was late '80's or early '90's). Adam was supposedly found dead on the road under an overpass. The "heads" say Adam was thrown off - head first --by security. Security said he was high and thought he could fly. Apparently there are no eyewitness accounts, other than from the security (who were accused)

Anyway, David Gan's (or Gary Lambert) said the dead always send their security people to the venue to express how they want their fans to be treated. But the band doesn't have the power to really control the police.

By the way, the same show discussed how they also need to negotiate with the promoter how many tickets to a particular event GDTS TOO will be allotted. And Gans (Lambert? ) said GDTS's fights to get as many tickets as they can.

That's an interesting take on why they didn't book best buy again. Security was super tight there last spring. I never had anybody else look over the bathroom stall door while it was closed, I assume looking for drugs, etc.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#100879 2 years, 7 months ago
Little Bear wrote:
Smuggle? With the time elapse and length of action possessed by edibles, why not simply ingest before even entering. and runnin the unnecessary risk?

because i want to be high until the last note, but yeah you're right about the time frame
-- smell every flower --
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds