• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: people who think monthS ahead for shows??

#99974 2 years, 7 months ago
^^^yes we are workingman's dead, played DBGB's, i am the bassist. were you wearing a baseball cap? standing in front of guitarist?

edit: most importantly, thanks for coming by. any and all support is greatly appreciated. like phil says, without you there is no us, and it's true even on our level.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by wlewis.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#99990 2 years, 7 months ago
Actually, I had on a fedora. and I was over closer to you, or by the same wall the keys were against.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#100034 2 years, 7 months ago
I am with most of the other posters here... Gotta plan ahead because I gave a job and need to request the time off but also because I am restless in my job and need the "ahead" to look forward to to make it through.

I love to travel and see new places, meet new people so I don't spend all of my limited vacation time on tour. I hit closer by west coast shows mostly and am thankful when they are on a weekend. Or I combine shows like Red Rocks with exploring the beauty of Colorado.

Also like to see lots of other music so I get my between-fixes in Eugene & Portland. Planning to hit Jazz fest in New Orleans and you have to plan for that one to get any place to stay for a decent price.

Used to be way more spontaneous when I toured in to 80's in my VW bus but life is different now. Got a mortgage and want to retire some day.... Moving Dead Ahead
starlite16
Junior Boarder

#100050 2 years, 7 months ago
A-DEVA--I LOVE your screen name:lol:
I saw so so many shows in Eugene I lost count! Had some old pics out the other day. Great vibe. The west vibe was so different. But I lived in the west as well.
Having Kesey in Springfield added family. Last show (unknowing death was about to have no mercy) was that 95 Portland.
Eugene we always stayed at the 66 Motel on Broadway. Walked a mile up to the meadow, across the stone bridge across the Willamette River with all other heads and strolled through the forest path on the U.of O. campus.
As i said, things were cheaper then and easier. And good for you, mixing adventure with shows and tim eoff. That is why i asked. So many now,since 90 just are too burnt to even dew anything but go to another show. I'd skip it if I got to hike around Yosemite and wait till next year:whistle:
WL--Far east huh? Good call. Borneo is my fantasy and it WILL happen.
Wouldn't it be nice to have more than 1 os us so we could see all? Or have mucho $$$$$
I know and have tobelieve with my invisible physical 'wrecks' that it can still happen. As soon as I get back home to love and the NUMBER ONE THING: One's SUPPORT system. No one survives without that.
And it is rarely behind this glass. Human form is best.
(((you all rock this thread)))
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#100076 2 years, 7 months ago
starlite16 wrote:
A-DEVA--I LOVE your screen name:lol:
I saw so so many shows in Eugene I lost count! Had some old pics out the other day. Great vibe. The west vibe was so different. But I lived in the west as well.
Having Kesey in Springfield added family. Last show (unknowing death was about to have no mercy) was that 95 Portland.
Eugene we always stayed at the 66 Motel on Broadway. Walked a mile up to the meadow, across the stone bridge across the Willamette River with all other heads and strolled through the forest path on the U.of O. campus.
As i said, things were cheaper then and easier. And good for you, mixing adventure with shows and tim eoff. That is why i asked. So many now,since 90 just are too burnt to even dew anything but go to another show. I'd skip it if I got to hike around Yose
I know and have tobelieve with my invisible physical 'wrecks' that it can still hap
And it is rarely behind this glass. Human form is best.
(((you all rock this thread)))

Hey Starlite- used to ride my bike to those Autzen shows...I missed 2010 Cuthbert shows to go to Europe instead but was thinking of everyone while in Amsterdam... Love the music but it is a big world out there.
The name is from an adjective-noun-name combo in a mad lib.
Peace
starlite16
Junior Boarder

#100130 2 years, 7 months ago
hey deva!!!!
Travel Abroad and miss a show--NO WAY!
I have had to miss many cause of health recent years but in reality, didn't miss anything because of what they already gave.
My last 2 this year made me sure I will not dew another without someone with me that knows me well and walked by my side for many years. They are all far away but hopefully not much longer. That hardcore welcoming feeling does not close to exist the way it did. Actually doesn' exist. Only in print and talk. People say it does, but it does not. Maybe for the youngsters because it's new and they have THOSE people with the. the rest is clicks of self importance.
It is rather, not too nice when anyone knows another is asking not to attend a show alone and not 1 person reaches out. Pathetic really. Plus I am amazing!
I met WL in March though. He is funny and quirky and nice and he dreams. That is imp--the dreams. Too bad I wasn't a cougar!
Did you see the 2 shows with Little Feat in 90 right before Brent passed?
I miss the daytime , sunshine & dancin' shows. Long gone.
They were on fire--especially Brent and old relics being reborn. I have the cd's from those. Loose lucy--how fun was that rebirth. Bill Graham was there. We were always such 'pick upthe folk ' in the west!
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#100140 2 years, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
hi M

with the way things are today as far as getting tickets, reasonably priced accomodations/travel, it makes sense to plan for shows. if i had unlimited income and no job it'd be a completely different story. i was super heavy into the furthur touring scene (i've cut back believe it or not). all of my money was being allocated to the tour fund i was working my ass off multiple jobs and just stack stack stack. i like to go out to shows, not work the lots, and have disposable income to do whatever i want. i look at it like an opportunity cost. i was giving up certain things like fancy tvs and cell phones, expensive bar tabs, new sneakers. even new basses and equipment, you get the picture. those things still don't matter to me much (besides basses and equipment ) but comfortable living without scraping by is something i've been taking a liking to hitting about half the shows per tour instead of full (even in only one tour). but what this is all tying into is what starlite is asking. what else do we do, where do we go, what are our dreams. the music and band are always such a main focus for many of us. right now i'm in that boat with NYE, phil in feb, and apr shows on the plate.

i have strong desires to travel in SE asia. i actually had a job all lined up to leave for the guangxi province in china to teach, being offered an incredible opportunity from colleagues from college/teaching experiences. i was supposed to go after the spring tour. when i came back i didn't want to leave, i was so caught up in touring and having such a wonderful time i didn't want to leave and miss any possible last shows or anything, i also started realizing how much i enjoyed my freedom and life where i am and what i was doing. i do not regret my decision one bit, can't make that clear enough. i wasn't ready but the offer is always on the table and i will one day find myself over there.

aside from this i play in a grateful dead cover band here in buffalo, NY, workingman's dead. it's a great time i love to play music. i want to play music for people for the rest of my life, but that is not the outlet for it. i've been trying to get an original group together for a long time but just have not found the right group of musicians for the project. although currently we are making some progress in that department.

why devote so much to 'ahead'? i like this one starlite...some people are always living in the past, some always in the moment, some in the future. i'm a combination of all 3. i like to cover all the bases.

Gosh you are such a hog! You never leave any thoughtful things for the rest of us to say I kid, Nicely stated
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#100146 2 years, 7 months ago
Made it to over 40 grateful dead shows never planned anything. Now that im older I try and plan but not always goes as planned. Im very impatient with shows I count them down with an ocd feel to it. Ill call my touring buddy up and say we got 1 month 6days 5hours and 4mins till show time.
GOOD LOVE
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by brokenarrow.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#100210 2 years, 7 months ago
Hey Starlite - got that frequent flier ticket to Amsterdam way before they even announced those Cuthbert shows. Talk about planning ahead..... That is the only way to use miles for Europe, to do it way ahead, but worth it to get free plane fare. Amsterdam was fun, went to Oktoberfest, Prague, Vienna.... It was worth it.
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds