• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
starlite16
Junior Boarder

people who think monthS ahead for shows??

#99468 2 years, 8 months ago
What other kinds of living dew you dew? Any other adventure goals or dreams or travels? Or its it day to day till the next show?
And why devote so much to 'ahead?'
curious?
hi WL:silly:
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: people who think monthS ahead for shows??

#99746 2 years, 8 months ago
hi starlite!!

with the way things are today as far as getting tickets, reasonably priced accomodations/travel, it makes sense to plan for shows. if i had unlimited income and no job it'd be a completely different story. i was super heavy into the furthur touring scene (i've cut back believe it or not). all of my money was being allocated to the tour fund i was working my ass off multiple jobs and just stack stack stack. i like to go out to shows, not work the lots, and have disposable income to do whatever i want. i look at it like an opportunity cost. i was giving up certain things like fancy tvs and cell phones, expensive bar tabs, new sneakers. even new basses and equipment, you get the picture. those things still don't matter to me much (besides basses and equipment ) but comfortable living without scraping by is something i've been taking a liking to hitting about half the shows per tour instead of full (even in only one tour). but what this is all tying into is what starlite is asking. what else do we do, where do we go, what are our dreams. the music and band are always such a main focus for many of us. right now i'm in that boat with NYE, phil in feb, and apr shows on the plate.

i have strong desires to travel in SE asia. i actually had a job all lined up to leave for the guangxi province in china to teach, being offered an incredible opportunity from colleagues from college/teaching experiences. i was supposed to go after the spring tour. when i came back i didn't want to leave, i was so caught up in touring and having such a wonderful time i didn't want to leave and miss any possible last shows or anything, i also started realizing how much i enjoyed my freedom and life where i am and what i was doing. i do not regret my decision one bit, can't make that clear enough. i wasn't ready but the offer is always on the table and i will one day find myself over there.

aside from this i play in a grateful dead cover band here in buffalo, NY, workingman's dead. it's a great time i love to play music. i want to play music for people for the rest of my life, but that is not the outlet for it. i've been trying to get an original group together for a long time but just have not found the right group of musicians for the project. although currently we are making some progress in that department.

why devote so much to 'ahead'? i like this one starlite...some people are always living in the past, some always in the moment, some in the future. i'm a combination of all 3. i like to cover all the bases.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by wlewis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva, rockinbob
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#99757 2 years, 8 months ago
I few months isn't really that far ahead, especially if you have a job that you need to get time off from. Or if you need to manage your money.
I always try to know as soon as possible if im going to hit a show or something, past couple of months its been hard to do that for me though. I've been having till the shows get a little closer to see if i can actually make it or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#99770 2 years, 8 months ago
I am focusing on moving and getting a job, but I am always setting aside time for a Furthur show or two in my head. When those Chicago dates are out, I'm on it. Maybe I will get lucky and get a NASHVILLE Furthur show - haha nice thinkin huh?

Hey who knows, Bob and Phil have played Bonnaroo!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#99771 2 years, 8 months ago
^^^ya better head back to tennessee jed...
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#99778 2 years, 8 months ago
I try to live in the moment but when you got nye tickets sitting at home it's really hard not to look forward. I do like to snowboard, and watch movies. Two kids take up a lot of time and seeing my family that live around me does also. But for the most part shows( not just furthur) take up a lot of space in my head. Love football to. I would say I absolutely love my life.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#99788 2 years, 8 months ago
We plan ahead for these things and generally book our room when the dates are announced then we worry about tickets and the rest of it. We also do other things while in the area and make a nice three or four day trip when we go to a show. We go to the symphony, the opera,plays and museums , zoos, and other points of interest while we are there. Once word gets out that there is a show, room rates go up exponentially at places worth staying at. We also like to set aside one day of just hanging around at the hotel relaxing. Rather than a full 3 week vacation we do this a few times a year and it is always a very nice and needed break. Planning helps me stay at the Omni for $139 a night rather than the $300 or up a night it will cost when they figure out that the neighborhood is gonna be over run by the deadheads and I don't have people banging on my door at 3 am looking for floor space at 3 am. Instead I have tea and muffins delivered to the room at 12:15 and I can go to sleep at a decent hour.
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
starlite16
Junior Boarder

#99868 2 years, 8 months ago
Thank WL. All of you gave well thought answers. I guess my tribe never did it. Partly cause we knew they would happen so just didn't even discuss "next time" till there was an announcement. I could be wrong but I think it was not so far ahead when Jerry was alive. What I do recall in mass excitement was geting the 3x5 index cards all ready and being at the P.O. for mail orer but NOT putting them in the slot because of the MIDNIGHT and NOT BEFORE rule when mail order began. the tics were so pretty and glittery.
It was so fun. We always stayed at the the same places. Always stayed regional unless it was a magic place like Utah or RRocks. 103 show and never toured. Never saw a show without a major sight seen in the region as well. Cheaper back then as well of course.
Sometimes I see people talking a year ahead but I do not think that is who posted here. The GD go with me everywhere. In all actions, words, gestures, hugs and alturism.
No X-mas again this year but I decided that my seasonal gift is to buy all kinds of fun fun love filled stuff for the veterens hosp. and hour from me. I feel a rainbow inside about it. Making them music too but no dead. I know exactly what to make.
every sunset, smell of the sea, look of a deer, smile from a person, has the GD playing in it. As well as other atrists.
(((HUGS to GREAT posts here))) Gave a much needed smile:)
NYE and Wlewis---are you shaking yet?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrippingColors
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#99969 2 years, 8 months ago
starlite16 wrote:
NYE and Wlewis---are you shaking yet?

like a leaf in the wind!
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#99971 2 years, 8 months ago
wlewis, didn't you play at a bar after the Furthur show in Buffalo? I was there, right up front near the end of the show. I enjoyed your band very much, if so...
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds