• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

have you ever seen a meteor shower?

#99423 2 years, 9 months ago
I saw one about 5 years ago, without exaggeration, probably the coolest thing I ever saw. The one I saw had commets or meteors passing by every few seconds. I was in my backyard and it was breathtaking. I was almost screaming OMG to myself. It definitely takes your breath away. You MAY be able to see it tonight.

news.yahoo.com/meteor-shower-video-watch...s-sky-122741535.html

..Meteor Shower Video: Watch the Most Intense, Mysterious Sky Show of the Year
By National Journal staff | National Journal – Wed, Dec 14, 2011....Email
Share0Print......The Geminid meteor shower peaked on Tuesday night, captivating sky watchers, including one man in Los Angeles who drove off a cliff while viewing the light show.

According to NASA, it's the most intense meteor shower of the year, which lasts for days, is rich in fireballs, and can be seen from almost any point on Earth.

"The Geminids are my favorite," NASA astronomer Bill Cooke said in a statement, "because they defy explanation."

Most meteor showers come from comets, but Geminids are different. According to NASA, "The parent is not a comet but a weird rocky object named 3200 Phaethon that sheds very little dusty debris—not nearly enough to explain the Geminids."

One viewer captured video of a fireball over San Jose, Calif., on Tuesday:

--

there are two videos on the site. the second one is highly recommended, it's exactly what I saw years ago - SF
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

Re: have you ever seen a meteor shower?

#99438 2 years, 9 months ago
Yes, a bunch of us jumpers laid out on the landing field at night and watched. It was way cool.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#99548 2 years, 9 months ago
seen a few over the years the last one was 2 years ago we drove out to jones beach one nite and up to bear mountain the next to get away from the city light pollution.,we take a blanket lay it out get the sleepingbags hot chocolate and cataytic heater and just watch
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#99551 2 years, 9 months ago
Yes and the northern lights!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
Grateful_Hiker
Junior Boarder
Singing and dancing down the trail...

#99557 2 years, 9 months ago
Nothing like watching a meteor shower with a bunch of friends wrapped up in blankets and sleeping bags on top of a mountain. Who needs a TV when you can just look up into the sky to watch a beautiful show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#99571 2 years, 9 months ago
Grateful_Hiker wrote:
Nothing like watching a meteor shower with a bunch of friends wrapped up in blankets and sleeping bags on top of a mountain. Who needs a TV when you can just look up into the sky to watch a beautiful show.

He speaks the truth!
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#99572 2 years, 9 months ago
I saw the northern lights while dosing one night on a Buffalo area beach. We thought we were sharing a hallucination, but sure enough, it was in the paper the next day!! Meteor showers can be cool. Some have long tails are the big burners going across the sky are neat if you are lucky enough. I suggest making a gathering of it. Beer and BBQ!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#107255 2 years, 8 months ago
The first meteor shower of 2012 will hopefully be visible 2AM this morning (tomorrow morning...after midnight tonight), but only for a couple of hours. The local news here in NYC said it would be visible 3AM.

news.yahoo.com/quadrantid-meteor-shower-...early-140503094.html

The first meteor shower of 2012 — the lesser known Quadrantid meteor shower — will kick off a new year of skywatching when it peaks on Wednesday (Jan. 4).

While many meteor displays in 2011 were washed out by a bright moon, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to put on a spectacular light show, with no pesky moonlight to interfere. The peak of the Quadrantids will occur at around 2 a.m. EST (0700 GMT) on Jan. 4.

If you're planning to stay up late to catch the peak, you could be treated to meteors at a rate of 100 per hour, NASA officials said in a statement. Luckily, the waxing gibbous moon will set at around 3 a.m. local time, so as long as there are clear skies, conditions should be ripe for meteor watching into the pre-dawn hours. The sky map available here shower where to look to see the Quadrantid meteors.

Unlike the more well-known Perseid and Geminid meteor showers, the Quadrantids last only a few hours, so skywatchers have a narrower window of opportunity to spot them.

Meteor showers occur when Earth travels through leftover debris from comets or asteroids. They are often known as "shooting stars," because of the way they streak across the sky.

The Quadrantid meteors originate from an asteroid called 2003 EH1, and were first seen in 1825. According to some studies, this cosmic body could be a piece of a comet that broke apart several centuries ago, and the Quadrantids are the crumbled relics of debris from this fragmentation, NASA officials said. [12 Must-See Skywatching Events in 2012]

As Earth passes through, dust and debris will enter the planet's atmosphere a blistering speed of about 90,000 miles per hour (almost 145,000 kilometers per hour). These fragments will burn up about 50 miles (80 km) above Earth's surface, NASA officials said.

Most meteor showers get their name based on the constellations from which they appear to streak. When we look at the so-called radiants, we are looking down the paths of the meteors that strike Earth's atmosphere.

Because of the location of the radiant, at the northern tip of the constellation Bootes, only northern hemisphere skywatchers will be able to see Quadrantids.

The Quadrantids were named after the constellation of Quadrans Muralis, the wall quadrant, which is located between the constellations of Bootes and Draco. Quadrans Muralis was named by the French astronomer Jerome Lalande in 1795.

The constellation represents an early astronomical instrument that was used to observe and plot stars. Interestingly, the constellation is no longer recognized by the astronomical community, but the name lives on with the January meteor shower.

Editor's note: If you snap an amazing photo of the Quadrantid meteor shower would like to share it with SPACE.com, contact managing editor Tariq Malik at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Grateful_Hiker
Junior Boarder
Singing and dancing down the trail...

#107270 2 years, 8 months ago
I'm already feeling cold knowing that I'll be up at 2 watching this.
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds