• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
PeggyO
Fresh Boarder

Furthur's lighting effects at shows...

#9878 3 years, 3 months ago
...Do you love it or want to leave it?

I was wondering what most folks thought about Furthur's lighting during the shows lately (and by lately I mean around end of 2010 as I've not seen them since the NYE shows). I ask because during the first NYE shows, there was some great background lighting behind the band, and then last Fall, they had this very trippy swirly background that was incredible. Everyone around me at shows was commenting on how nice the lighting was and how it really enhanced the show experience and the music overall.

This past NYE I was expecting something similar, but instead got what felt like a Pink Floyd Laserium light show shining directly into my eyes most of the evening and it definitely did not enhance my experience. It looks nice in videos, but in person I didn't enjoy having lights shone into my eyes pretty much every song. Lights constantly moving around and shining in the audience's eyes isn't to me, conducive to a show and sort of adds a distraction when I'd like to be completely immersed in the music, with lighting to compliment that, not compete with it.

The crew I was with on NYE (about 15 people or so), all said how much we missed the magical mirrored ballroom globes that were present at NYE 2009/10, and that the "computer controlled ballroom discoball" effect that they had this year was not even close to approximating that atmosphere and ambience that a real mirrored ball gives off. It's a magical, beautiful thing and if anyone in the band or crew is listening, please Please PLEASE, go back to using the mirrored disco balls next NYE because visually it's like nothing else! Just my two cents. YMMV.
~ Once in awhile you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right ~
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Furthur's lighting effects at shows...

#9887 3 years, 3 months ago
I was at 9 shows this spring and I do recall that light in the face you mention but only a few times so maybe they changed a little ore either I'm lucky or your unlucky.

The lights at Radio City Music Hall were the best I've seen but thats a special thing, I always liked whatever setup Furthur had for there lights....

the more tripped out they are, the better!
gratefulade
Junior Boarder

#9888 3 years, 3 months ago
I just got back from 3 shows this tour and I thought the lights were a little weak, especially the background, or lack thereof. I was in the upper level of one of the shows and had the same "light shining in my eyes" experience. I think they need some kind of back drop for me to focus on!
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#9921 3 years, 3 months ago
Furthur doesn't have half the gear the Dead hauled around.
They haven't got Candace as a lighting director anymore either.
It would be super cool if they brought back the morphing skeletons loop from summer '93 tour and added in some liquid projections like the Other Ones fall '02 tour

over all I think they do a great job all around but these days with this economy we should be glad their on the road at all.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by the highway terror.
Time to create page: 1.00 seconds