• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

Bill Graham is rolling over in his grave

#98546 2 years, 10 months ago
at this bs. Here's some r & r when the band cared about its fans...

Note I did not mail order .. we were allready out for the spring tour... but anyone who wasted their time taking out money, goin to the post office.....fillin out their envelope and 3x5 card.. just got a big we don't care from the band er the bands management... taking fans for granted is a sure way to sink a ship
JAugustW
Junior Boarder

Re: Bill Graham is rolling over in his grave

#98550 2 years, 10 months ago
I talked to Bill at length a few times at Winterland. And, in many ways, he was pretty cool. But don't think for a minute that he wasn't about making money, too.
You know, I haven't been to a show of any sort, in, like, forever. So I guess I have to admit that I may not have a right to comment upon this.
But, on the other hand, I think you might be trying to inject greed-driven motives -- or other negative ones -- where they don't belong.
For one thing, it's impossible to find musicians who have done more to cater to fans over such a long period than Bobby and Phil. And much of the cash they've made in the process went right back into the music or towards supporting the others who helped make it happen.
Why not go after other musicians instead... the ones who require fans to take out a loan in order to afford a seat at some tired-ass show?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#98551 2 years, 10 months ago
The ship has sailed brother. There are no Bill Grahams in the industry anymore just a bunch of greedy mother fuckers who only care about the bottom line. I don't blame Bob or Phil for any of it, pretty sure they are not calling the shots
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
The following user(s) said Thank You: bow4bass
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#98552 2 years, 10 months ago
J august you bailed a long time ago... I find it hard to take someone seriously who bailed for 20 yrs... I haven't bailed for a tour be it Ratdog or Phil N Friends always catchin at least 2 or 3 minimum... and don't lump the "boyz" in with the rest of the greedy industry.. they alllways represented more.. a genuine love for their fans.. who returned the love... this was what it WAS all about.. yes BG was in it to make money but he also CARED about the fans.. breakfast ring any bells? I've hesitated to say it but this is THE BIG SELL OUT ... you don't need a miracle you need $300 for a decent seat.
JAugustW
Junior Boarder

#98554 2 years, 10 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
J august you bailed a long time ago... I find it hard to take someone seriously who bailed for 20 yrs... I haven't bailed for a tour be it Ratdog or Phil N Friends always catchin at least 2 or 3 minimum... and don't lump the "boyz" in with the rest of the greedy industry.. they alllways represented more.. a genuine love for their fans.. who returned the love... this was what it WAS all about.. yes BG was in it to make money but he also CARED about the fans.. breakfast ring any bells? I've hesitated to say it but this is THE BIG SELL OUT ... you don't need a miracle you need $300 for a decent seat.

I haven't bailed on anything. Never, ever, stopped listening to the music. It's just that I can't handle crowds anymore and don't enjoy leaving the farm. Not even to buy groceries. That doesn't make me a "bailer."
And, OK, Beacon seats are being offered for $300 each on eBay. So what? The seats -- all originally priced at way under a hundred bucks -- got snapped up. And because you didn't get any, you're hot. Well, I've got news for you: we don't always get what we want.
Think it was any different back in the '70s trying to score a New Year's ticket? Not everyone who wanted one got one.
And even though I agree that The Dead never went crazy with ticket prices -- as Furthur didn't do at the Beacon, either -- $5 to see a show back in the early '70s wasn't exactly cheap. As a matter of fact, that was half the price of a killer lid.
Anyway, where, exactly, is the BIG SELL OUT? If the band wants to hang in NYC for a week or so, more power to them. I'm just not seein' any contempt for fans. Period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, SunshineSue
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#98555 2 years, 10 months ago
JAugustW wrote:
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:

I haven't bailed on anything. Never, ever, stopped listening to the music. It's just that I can't handle crowds anymore and don't enjoy leaving the farm. Not even to buy groceries. That doesn't make me a "bailer."
And, OK, Beacon seats are being offered for $300 each on eBay. So what? The seats -- all originally priced at way under a hundred bucks -- got snapped up. And because you didn't get any, you're hot. Well, I've got news for you: we don't always get what we want.
Think it was any different back in the '70s trying to score a New Year's ticket? Not everyone who wanted one got one.
And even though I agree that The Dead never went crazy with ticket prices -- as Furthur didn't do at the Beacon, either -- $5 to see a show back in the early '70s wasn't exactly cheap. As a matter of fact, that was half the price of a killer lid.
Anyway, where, exactly, is the BIG SELL OUT? If the band wants to hang in NYC for a week or so, more power to them. I'm just not seein' any contempt for fans. Period.

um yes you did bail on the live experience which is what it is all about (fail) . You can listen to Mozart on the farm ... its not the same as seein "him"LOL and havin experiences LIVE. If you had reading comprehension skills you would read that I was bailing on this tour.. ONE... much like you for the last 20 yrs. Go back & reread. If you WERE in touch for the last 20 yrs you would realize that if you maill ordered the first day your chances of tix was about 95%... not the your f'ed message for this tour. The sell out - MO used to get 50% or so of the tix now its about .05% .. and the bands management controls that as part of the negotiation for a show. Sorry your so outta touch. You might have had fun over the last 30 yrs.. oh and them mail order tix that used to be.. they're in hands of scalpers and don't think for a second there isn't a ahem kickback to management.Before you type you might wanna ck out whats been happening while you were on the farm.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#98556 2 years, 10 months ago
WITS are you drunk? Mellow out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shakeit
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#98557 2 years, 10 months ago
splatter_face wrote:
WITS are you drunk? Mellow out

I'm mellow.. I'm just disgusted that GDTS has something like 20 tix per show while scalpers have 1000. If you don't think there is some collusion there you are naive. Amazing how I mo Ratdog tix day one for yrs at the Beacon and always ended up in the first 20 rows.. now you MO day one and can't even get a ticket. Something here smells.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#98559 2 years, 10 months ago
I'm with you on that, mellow on August a little though. My pops can't do shows anymore for the same reason (crowds) but still really loves the music.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#98560 2 years, 10 months ago
your right splatter.. no offense intended to August. I am just irate & brokenheated at thiis blatant money grab.. the first 20 rows instead of real fans are gonna be filled by who puts the most money into managements pockets. I'm a businessman FYI, again you are naive if you think furthur management (IE Jill) is not owning those and profiting from those seats at exhorbitant prices.
Sad sad sad...............
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds