• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

Re: The Battle of New Orleans

#98186 2 years, 4 months ago
A different twist, I always liked Chet Atkins version too ; )

Still Searching For The Sound??? My LMA Recordings and My Etree Recordings
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#98377 2 years, 4 months ago
At the risk of coming across like a stickler for facts and useles information, the song performed in the encore at Toronto 84 isn't Jimmy Driftwood's The Battle of New Orleans. It's a song called New Orleans and the lyrics are something this:

Come on everybody take a trip with me Down the Mississippi down to New Orleans. The honey suckle is bloomin on the honeysuckle vine And love is blomin there all the time. Every Southern belle is a Mississippi queen, Down the Mississippi down in New Orleans. Come on take a stroll down to Basin Street And listen to the music with the Dixieland beat. The magnolia blossoms fills the air. If you ain't been to heaven, then you ain't been there. French moss hangin' from a big oak tree, Down the Mississippi down in New Orleans. Come on everybody take a trip with me Down the Mississippi down to New Orleans. The honey suckle is bloomin on the honeysuckle vine And love is blomin there all the time. Every Southern elle is a Mississippi queen, Down the Mississippi down in New Orleans.

There's also recordings around from 1970 or so of the Good Ole GD doing this tune, Bobby on lead vocals.

The Toronto 84 show is great listening, and what always stuck with me about that show is Wavy Gravy's dedication after the encore, when he exclaims "These are the good old days!!" He was so right. He also goes on a rap thanking various people and organizations, and then says I'd like to thank the Planet Earth for having us".
These are the good old days!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by BillyDeLion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#98385 2 years, 4 months ago
warning, history ahead

Jackson's victory at New Orleans was made possible by his massacre of the Creek Indians. Survivors were removed from their ancestral lands, opening up the gulf states for cotton plantations. that is all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#98387 2 years, 4 months ago
More history.. the battle of New Orleans never had to happen the War was over. The word had not gotten across from Europe yet that there was a peace agreement bringing an end to the war. Billy Delions is spot on.. I was trying to reconcile the two opening lines difference ..when I played that Kingfish a minute ago it was quite apparent it was NOT the same song. Oh well dig on Toronto 84 its a great one, as luck would have it I missed this one and caught the following show in Harrisburg... DAMMIT!
Chester
More or less in line

#98394 2 years, 4 months ago
Great song. My introduction to it was on an album by the Royal Guardsmen. One of my fathers forays into pop music.
It was recorded by a lot of musicians. I really do like Bobby's version.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#98397 2 years, 4 months ago
Always liked the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's version.

This one comes with another history lesson about the song's writer, Jimmy Driftwood

Jimmy Driftwood was a high school principal and history teacher who loved to sing, play instruments and write songs. Mr. Driftwood wrote many songs, all for the sole purpose of helping his students learn about this battle and other historical events. But this song turned out to be so popular that it won the 1959 Grammy Award for Song Of The Year (awarded in 1960 for musical accomplishments in 1959). Johnny Horton also won the 1959 Grammy Award for Best Country And Western Performance for his recording of this song. "The Battle of New Orleans," is about a battle in the War of 1812, and it became one of the biggest selling hits of 1959.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyDeLion
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds