• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
JAugustW
Junior Boarder

The Battle of New Orleans

#98130 2 years, 7 months ago
I believe that's the name of the song. It starts, "In 1814, we took a little trip... along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip..."
Anyway, years ago, I heard Bobby do that song live with The Midnites at some theater on Broadway in North Beach (SF). And never heard it since.
But, man, they just knocked it through the roof! And I wonder why he's never played it again... that I know of, at least.
Does anyone know where I can track down a tape of it? Or shed any other light on this?
They also did "Poison Ivy" that night. Another winner.
JAugustW
Junior Boarder

Re: The Battle of New Orleans

#98131 2 years, 7 months ago
Holy Cow! I just did the obvious thing (which I should have done first) and looked on YouTube. And there it was! Bobby with Kingfish doing it in 1976. Have to go listen to it...
I am reminded though of a Kingfish show I saw at the Auditorium Theater back then. There was a vicious, vicious thunderstorm just before the show and only about 400 people showed up.
Everyone just gravitated towards the stage, and Kingfish just tore it up that night. One of my best-ever shows.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#98132 2 years, 7 months ago
A great tune. Your post made me look up the history on Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_New_Orleans

The tune was written by Jimmy Driftwood, who also wrote another classic, Tennessee Stud. (Doc Watson did a great version of TN Stud!!) According to his Wikipedia page, he wrote 6,000 songs which I find impossible to believe. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Driftwood

In any case, Kingfish and Bobby & Midnites used to cover this tune. There's recordings out there.
These are the good old days!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAugustW
JAugustW
Junior Boarder

#98135 2 years, 7 months ago
My apologies for repeated posts on my own thread...
When I listened to the Kingfish version on YouTube, it was good, but not the amazingly smokin' version I heard Bobby do with the Midnites.
In looking for that, though, I came across Booby and the Midnites doing "Easy to Slip," 1-26-83. Worth checking out, I think.
And further apologies for dragging everyone down nostalgia lane... I'm really not one of those people who thinks everything was better in the so-called "Good Ol' Days..." It's just that I happened to be around back then.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#98157 2 years, 7 months ago
Jaug- you may have been thinkin of this one. First encore:

www.archive.org/details/gd1984-06-21.nak...f.32640.sbeok.flac16

Btw in case you don't know on the top right is volume I had to turn it up to get proper sound.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf, iraqistatefair
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#98159 2 years, 7 months ago
BTW This whole show is HOT :

Toronto 6-21-84

Set 1:
01 Wavy Gravy Intro
02 tuning
03 Hell in a Bucket
04 They Love Eachother
05 C.C. Rider >
06 Birdsong
07 Beat it on Down the Line >
08 Dupree's Diamond Blues
09 Looks Like Rain >
10 Might as Well

Set 2:
01 Ken Kesey Intro
02 tuning
03 Scarlet Begonias >
04 Fire on the Mountain
05 Good Time Blues
01 Samson & Delilah >
02 Terrapin >
03 Drums >
04 Space >
05 The Wheel >
06 Throwing Stones >
07 Not Fade Away >

Encore:
08 New Orleans* >
09 Big Boss Man* >
10 Iko Iko*
11 Wavy Gravy Deadication

* with Rick Danko and Levon Helm
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#98162 2 years, 7 months ago
That was a radio broadcast. The Dead in Wonderland, because they were playing at an amusement park, I think ,and it was a Seva benefit.

They were on a bill with The Band.

Kesey said something like: "We didn't know who would be playing first the band or the band".....

Scarlet Fire is great, loosey-goosey with some f'ed up lyrics, but absolutely rip roaring.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#98169 2 years, 7 months ago
Give TS a cigar... as they start playing (I still have the tape) one of them says a lil know secret about Jerry Garcia is he's black from the waist down.... and then calls weir the electronic wasteland... wow I still have a memory!!!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#98179 2 years, 7 months ago
I don't know why I always discount Kingfish and Bobby and the Midnites, they really did have some good moments, that weren't coke-fueled pop attempts like I Want to Live in America!

DrippingColors
Junior Boarder

#98181 2 years, 7 months ago
If you ever get a chance to see the HBO series "Treme", they do a little version of this song at a Mardi Gras party on the last episode of season 1. The show is a post Katrina look at New Orleans and a tribute to all the local musicians down there, It includes appearances by Elvis Costello and Dr. John as as well as many other greats
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds