• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
vayinafash
Fresh Boarder

Ordering Tickets - Help a Newish member

#97817 2 years, 7 months ago
New to the Grateful Dead and Further - loving it - better late than never. Can someone explain the pros and cons of ordering tickets: (1) mail order; (2) pre-sale; (3) ticket master, including thoughts on best way to get tickets. I realize this is a lot to ask but I am not familiar with mail order and pre-sale.

I just mail ordered this past Saturday for the Beacon April 18, 2012 show - first time I've done this. Previous two Furthur concerts were at MSG 2010 and 2011. 2010 bought tickets off stub hub, second used ticket master.

Also, any thoughts on whether as a first timer I will get tickets through mail order. Any information about the ticket ordering process in appreciated. I mail ordered to try it - heard an interview with someone from the mail order co on xm radio - the grateful dead channel. Figured if I get tickets great - if not, I still had fun trying to get them. I also have the MSG show 2011 in the bank - so if do not get tickets, at least I saw that show.

Thanks again.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

Re: Ordering Tickets - Help a Newish member

#97819 2 years, 7 months ago
You're in trouble if you mail ordered for Saturday April 18th.
April 18th is a Wednesday in 2012.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#97821 2 years, 7 months ago
Sorry, I just re-read your post.
I hope you get tix for the 18th.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#97825 2 years, 7 months ago
Hi vayinafish, and welcome to the Forum and the music! The problem with mail order is that you just never know if you'll get tickets or not, no matter how many times you've ordered in the past. Which means if you absolutely have to get into a particular show, you're stuck having to order back-up tickets from either FrontGate or Ticketmaster. It's too late for Frontgate for spring, so TM is probably your best shot. Patronizing Stubhub is to be avoided, if possible, I think most folks will agree. I'm not a big fan of the ticketmaster pre-sales. My experience is that they unload a bunch of lousy seats during pre-sale; I've done better with regular public on-sale in most instances, but you never know. Frontgate presales are a mixed bag, and usually sell out frustratingly fast.

Good luck and I hope you make the show!
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by SunshineSue.
vayinafash
Fresh Boarder

#97831 2 years, 7 months ago
Thanks

What is Frontgate? This sites tour information lists: mail order; internet pre-sale and public on sale

Mail order is mail order
Is internet pre-sale - ticketmaster pre sale
Public - is that ticket master?

Clear as mud - anyway - how long does it usually take to find out about mail order - how do you find out - do they send an e-mail.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#97834 2 years, 7 months ago
vayinafash wrote:
New to the Grateful Dead and Further - loving it - better late than never. Can someone explain the pros and cons of ordering tickets: (1) mail order; (2) pre-sale; (3) ticket master, including thoughts on best way to get tickets. I realize this is a lot to ask but I am not familiar with mail order and pre-sale.

I just mail ordered this past Saturday for the Beacon April 18, 2012 show - first time I've done this. Previous two Furthur concerts were at MSG 2010 and 2011. 2010 bought tickets off stub hub, second used ticket master.

Also, any thoughts on whether as a first timer I will get tickets through mail order. Any information about the ticket ordering process in appreciated. I mail ordered to try it - heard an interview with someone from the mail order co on xm radio - the grateful dead channel. Figured if I get tickets great - if not, I still had fun trying to get them. I also have the MSG show 2011 in the bank - so if do not get tickets, at least I saw that show.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forums vayinafash. Sounds like you may have caught the "I need more shows" bug. Plenty of us here have the same affliction And we love it.

For what it's worth, ~ 2 weeks ago they interviewed the guy who created the Grateful Deads Mail order system (the old GDTS the new GDTS TOO. He said other than screening out people ordering multiple tickets (using different addresses, etc, but forgetting money orders are issued sequentially) everyone has the same chance of getting a ticket via mail order, old timers and newbies. But there are people (Like our LBDowling) who are amazing artists, and while GDTS TOO didn't admit it, I'm sure these people who send in their requests with artwork have a better shot IF there are not enough tickets to go around.

So, now I am curious, how did you get turned onto furthur. That always amazes me.

Peace

Hope to see you at the beacon....along with another 5,000 or so of my closest friends

DeadLet1_2011-12-13.jpg
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#97835 2 years, 7 months ago
You're getting closer (and someone else feel free to correct me if I'm off here):

Mail order is through GDTSTOO and you never know what yer gonna get.

Frontgate is a ticket seller that Furthur (and other bands) use to do a limited internet pre-sale. Link is http://furthur.frontgatetickets.com/ This is over for spring, and tickets go fast; some like it, some don't. No password is needed, just set up (register) an account before the day of the sale. and make sure you're ready to click fast.

Ticketmaster may or may not have another, separate internet pre-sale for some shows; they did for several of the November shows. A password is required for ordering, usually someone on the board will have it. I honestly don't know if there are any this week or not. Then Ticketmaster has the "regular" on sale for the remaining tickets. The best seats I had for November were from the plain old regular TM sales.

Stubhub should be burned to the ground and never patronized. Although if I hit the lottery between now and New Year's I may have to revisit my ethics on that one.

Hope this helps, and again welcome to the club!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by SunshineSue.
vayinafash
Fresh Boarder

#97870 2 years, 7 months ago
That is a great question - how i got into Furthur. I actually do not know or cannot remember right now who told me about Furthur - interesting why this escapes me now.

I know how I got into the Dead. My favorite band has been the Clash. I had xm radio and used to listen to fungus 53 (the "punk station"). Serius acquired xm and fungus was taken off the air. I started listening to the grateful dead channel. I was taking guitar lessons and learned jack straw. I really got into the dead when I realized that the chords to J. Straw are the same as "Complete Control" by the Clash. It has taken off since then. Great melodies from the Dead with tremendous intensity. Thank you for allowing me to say "I" a lot. I think Furthur is great. To this new fan, it keeps the music alive and evolving. I have been thinking that Phil and and Bobby can no longer play, Furthur should continue with - it may take a while to find the right people, but as Phil said at the Garden, "it really is about the fans and the music." If that is true, then Furthur should go on, so others can continue to hear this music live and the music can evolve. I do not mean to start any arguments here. Just my impression as a newcomer to the scene. That is probably more than you asked for.

Back to how I heard about Furthur - "I was sitting with another attorney in foreclosure court waiting for a case to be called. Somehow I said "sometimes we ride on our horses, sometimes we walk alone" The other attorney provided the next line "sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of own" - turns out he is a serious deadhead - too young to have ever seen the Dead - maybe he told me about Furthur.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#97887 2 years, 7 months ago
I agree 1 million %, it 's more about the scene than the music.

Great example for me. I put on my FAVORITE full cd for the ride home the other night. Pink Floyd the wall, heavy traffic, some kind and a one hitter.

In some ways I like the music of Pink Floyd as much, and maybe even better than the music of the dead. But....I have not seen floyd in concert, I want to, but not desperately. I have a compulsion, like to moth before a flame, and I try my best to see every furthur (and grateful dead, ratdog....) show I can. And I've been successful at seeing a LOT of shows over a lot of years.

That just reinforced what I always knew and what you said, it ain't just the music. Its the kindness, it's the deadheads.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcolleen
vayinafash
Fresh Boarder

#97891 2 years, 7 months ago
I did ticket master for this year's garden show. Figured I would try mail order for the Beacon shows - not sure why - maybe I thought it would be cheaper. I also wanted to try after hearing the interview on satellite radio. We will see how it goes. I went in with the expectation that I may not get tickets - but it is kind of fun trying. I had my son write the address on the envelope - he is pretty good luck - his two shows are 2010 second show at garden and this years show - all of his favorite songs - including a great shakedown at this year at MSG
Time to create page: 0.91 seconds