• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

Re: Sunshine or Donna?

#96310 2 years, 9 months ago
dr bakes wrote:
Donna, good enough for Jerry and Elvis, good enough for me. There is nothing like Donna backing Bobby on Looks Like Rain.

And there's nothing quite like Donna shrieking on Playing In The Band, Scarlet>Fire or Music! Sorry, she's not really a trained vocalist and boy did it show!
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Slewfoot.
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#96312 2 years, 9 months ago
My Love is for Sunshine but APPRECIATE ALL that Donna has done and will see her again with DSO or Solo
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
jbjb2
Fresh Boarder

#96323 2 years, 9 months ago
I love sunshine i think she is the female vocalist bobby or phil ever had.. To this day when i here playing i here Donas screeching in the back of my head!!!
Even a blind man knows when the sun is shinning
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#96348 2 years, 9 months ago
Donna was great in the studio, concerts were not her strength. for live shows i prefer Sunshine.

i saw Sunshine last Saturday at the REX Benefit at the Fillmore and she was freakin' awesome!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by .
mcolleen
Junior Boarder
You are the song that the morning brings

#96395 2 years, 9 months ago
Sunshine I couldn't deal w/Donna's shrieking. Sunshine's voice & her range are always impressive~ & there have been so many times when she comes in at just the right time to (save Phil) to reign it all in.
"The breeze would pause to listen in"
deadinit
Junior Boarder

#96510 2 years, 9 months ago
geez really people....Ill go with Donna .....next it will be Eaton or Weir
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#96514 2 years, 9 months ago
Donna -- she was a full-fledged member of the Grateful Dead.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#97036 2 years, 9 months ago
On some of the late 70's stuff, Donna's off key backup singing grates on me. She was great in the studio, and I like the versions of Looks Like Rain with Donna and Bob, but she had trouble singing on key live - supposedly because she couldn't hear herself which is strange, because she could sing lead on a song like Sunrise and sound great. I do like the Playing in the Band scream circa 73-74.

But to answer the original question, I like Furthur the way they are. The backing vocals add a lot and they're in tune!
These are the good old days!!
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#97038 2 years, 9 months ago
dr bakes wrote:
Donna, good enough for Jerry and Elvis, good enough for me. There is nothing like Donna backing Bobby on Looks Like Rain.

The songs that Donna woud tag, she woul;d tag, hands down! In perspective, and I'm sure you older heads wou;ld agree...different era, different sound and vibe....still cringe sometimes at Donna's Playing in the Band scream when it wasn't on...but, she had guts that one to be out there walikin' on stage!
Sunshine is a modern singer...spot on harmonies... maybe not as organic, but spot on which is pleasing to the ear...and head.
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Bilbo.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#97039 2 years, 9 months ago
Sunshine is great but my vote would go for Donna - if we are comparing Donna from the 70s, I wouldn't want her to replace Sunshine..... sometimes Donna was off but I think her positive contributions to the music out weigh all that by far
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds