• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

JK and JGB Run 4 Roses Rex Foundation 12.3.11 Vid

#96070 2 years, 7 months ago
Everyone Orchestra Don't Let Go

Members of The Mother Hips, Furthur, Railroad Earth, John K Band, Djesben, Jambay, Zero, Jerry Garcia Band all under the direction of conductor Matt Butler

JK and JGB Run for the Roses

Mission in the Rain

They Love Each Other

The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

Re: JK and JGB Run 4 Roses Rex Foundation 12.3.11 Vid

#96073 2 years, 7 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Everyone Orchestra Don't Let Go

Members of The Mother Hips, Furthur, Railroad Earth, John K Band, Djesben, Jambay, Zero, Jerry Garcia Band all under the direction of conductor Matt Butler

JK and JGB Run for the Roses

Mission in the Rain

They Love Each OtherSorry the ty button just did nt seem enough.T.Y.

Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#98168 2 years, 7 months ago
Here's a link to Blair Jackson's review of this show, which includes this passage

www.dead.net/features/blair-jackson/blai...-jams-rex-foundation

Next up was a wonderful electric band led by Furthur axeman John Kadlecik and featuring JGB keyboardist Melvin Seals, Zero drummer Greg Anton, bassist Mike Sugar (Jambay, Frank Vignola, et al) and Furthur singer Sunshine Becker. I loved seeing JK front a group, singing lead on every song but one, and mostly playing tunes that Furthur does not touch. Their generous set opened with “Run for the Roses,” and it was instantly apparent that this grouping really had the JGB spirit. Melvin, of course, was such an integral part of that band’s musical tapestry; Sunshine somehow managed to sound like both Gloria Jones and Jackie LaBranch when she harmonized with John; Greg had that crackin’ drum sound on the rockers but also laid back nicely on the softer tunes; Mike brought in the confidence and energy of the early John Kahn sound; and we certainly know that JK can interpret Garcia’s approach as few others can. He was totally on all night.

After the “Roses” opener, the band settled in and played an exciting “Sugaree,” “They Love Each Other,” “Alabama Getaway,” “Mission in the Rain” (always a highlight!), followed by an absolutely smokin’ “That’s What Love Will Make You,” with Melvin on lead vocals! (I don’t think I’d ever seen him sing before; he was pretty good, too.) John and Melvin traded long solos on that one, which had nearly everyone in the place up dancing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#98312 2 years, 7 months ago
bmp in case you missed it, Thank You TS for posting
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#98322 2 years, 7 months ago
what a great show that was. i'm a huge fan of the Mother Hips, and the opening set with Tim and Nicki Bluhm was exquisite. the "Bird Song" and the "Brokedown Palace" were sublime.
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds