• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

Re: are you fucking serious?

#98105 2 years, 10 months ago
nycdave wrote:
As for me, IMHO NYC shows are always the best of the best. Saw the Dead play the Beacon in 1976. The whole block was surrounded by NYC finest. There were four check points, just to get to stand online to get into the venue. From my point of view, shows are about going into a venue and hearing the musicians play music. The Beacon is a beautiful theater. They almost tore it down years ago, but then decided to refurbish it instead. Phil and Friends used to play there all the time. For those of you who don't want to come to NYC, no problem. Better chance for the rest of us to get tickets.
:0) I Luv NY!
And thats your first post?wow depending on the situation your 1st your hundreth your first since being a prisoner of war in this WAR ON DRUGS.You could play my ticket bro.The music is the focalpoint but i got so many friends and "family" thats the only time i see them and the love is far more important than even the music sometimes jmho. Cus the music is about LOVE or OUTLAWS depending on if ya talking to me or my buddy cassidy.Strick dont even start ya shit!While were at it when in the world would i ever want to go thru a police line to see my band?My band the band i follow every where and support with all my being are supposed to keep me out of police lines again jmho
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#98114 2 years, 10 months ago
So it's the bands responsibility to keep you out of jail? Phil & Phriends did a six night run at the Beacon in December of 2001. He added a seventh show (Bob joined the band that night), which was a benifit for police and firemens families, who were devastated by what happened on 9/11 of that year. Before the encore, Phil introduced Sgt. Wayne Lynch. Some booed when Phil introduced the Sargent, who was wearing a Jerry T shirt. At a show in 2002, Stg. Lynch gave Phil a certificate of appreciation, thanking him for the "services rendered to the members of the Sergants Benevolent Association."
Everybody's experiences at shows are unique, and include their own rituals, which define (for us) what shows are about. If NYC shows don't fit your idea of what a show should be, then don't be there. To be fair to the band, I also saw two NYC Jerry Garcia Band shows that were benifit shows for the Hell's Angels. One of them was on a boat (The USS Dutchess Gangway). If my memory serves me well, a child of one of the Angels fell, and needed a costly operation. The Dead refused to play Nassau Coliseum for a while, after many busts at two 1973 shows. Wonderful shows, for those of us who did not get busted and made it in.
I always thought that it was to easy for cops to bust people at shows. Where is the challenge for them? Jerry spoke about not wanting to bring people into a bad situation. Having said all of this, the days of freaking freely at shows are long gone.
One last point about NYC shows. In some small towns, when the dead played there they where the center of attention for the law and the community at large. In the big apple, even when the dead played the garden, if you walked two or three blocks away, the dead experience was nowhere to be found.
Drink all day, rock all night, law come to get you if you don't walk right. Or how 'bout I fought the Law & the Law Won. Alot of heads didn't care for it when Jerry played that as an encore, but it was a stronger encore then Day Job. Just sayin...
The following user(s) said Thank You: derek92, wlewis, skyties, kevin, 23atwell, JAugustW
derek92
Junior Boarder

#98149 2 years, 10 months ago
11/10/11 MSG Donor rap
Phil "God Damn it ya New York,you do it every time. you guys really pull it out of us. and thats why we keep coming back! So we can play with you guys because you are the people who really create the music."

you can hear Phils Love is this donor rap
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#98151 2 years, 10 months ago
i_be_sublime wrote:
nycdave wrote:
As for me, IMHO NYC shows are always the best of the best. Saw the Dead play the Beacon in 1976. The whole block was surrounded by NYC finest. There were four check points, just to get to stand online to get into the venue. From my point of view, shows are about going into a venue and hearing the musicians play music. The Beacon is a beautiful theater. They almost tore it down years ago, but then decided to refurbish it instead. Phil and Friends used to play there all the time. For those of you who don't want to come to NYC, no problem. Better chance for the rest of us to get tickets.
And thats your first post?wow depending on the situation your 1st your hundreth your first since being a prisoner of war in this WAR ON DRUGS.You could play my ticket bro.The music is the focalpoint but i got so many friends and "family" thats the only time i see them and the love is far more important than even the music sometimes jmho. Cus the music is about LOVE or OUTLAWS depending on if ya talking to me or my buddy cassidy.Strick dont even start ya shit!While were at it when in the world would i ever want to go thru a police line to see my band?My band the band i follow every where and support with all my being are supposed to keep me out of police lines again jmho

I'll take 2 coherent sensible posts over 120 rants anyday
"just saying"
-- smell every flower --
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#98163 2 years, 10 months ago
Didn't the west coast get hundreds of shows and some really special events in the last 50 years? Call me crazy but the dead played more shows in their home state that I wish I could have gone to than these 8 show shows over the period of a week and a half. I'm not gonna insult the musicians though....I mean really if its that painful for you you might want to rethink your role in he music and the deadhead family.
brownie710
Junior Boarder

#98242 2 years, 10 months ago
nycdave wrote:

Beacon shows are indeed lots of fun. I remember seeing several Phil and Friends shows there in 99 or 00, can't quite recall. I remember not scrambling too hard for a good seat but still seemed like I was right on top of Phil. I still remember him starting off with Half Step that set the mood for the night...and the early morning! I also recall his beautiful crooning on Broken Arrow which cemented my idea to have our wedding favors be bottles of Oregon rainwater for our friends to take home. Love it and can't wait to revisit it. See you folks there!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#98362 2 years, 10 months ago
everytime i open this thread i get a little more excited for the beacon shows!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#98369 2 years, 10 months ago
wlewis wrote:

skyties
Junior Boarder

#98373 2 years, 10 months ago
You need any cheese with your wine? I can't wait for spring. One hell of a lot less miles than fall tour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#98430 2 years, 10 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:
wlewis wrote:

i think im doing all 8 nights after reading this thread

i be sublime should act more,........well, sublime.
LOL
-- smell every flower --
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds