• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jonnykay
Fresh Boarder

Re: C'Mon Jeff! The Jeff Chimenti Band!

#205357 1 year, 9 months ago
alilfurther wrote:
eeewwwwww wheres captain tony ????

I've read this tony's posts and he ain't nothing but a loser in my opinion. I have yet to laugh at any of his stupid messages.
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#205359 1 year, 9 months ago
be nice
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
jonnykay
Fresh Boarder

#205361 1 year, 9 months ago
alilfurther wrote:
be nice

well, just being honest. I've lived alot longer than many people here and I thought the intellectual level would be much higher than his tomfoolery.
DancinBear
Junior Boarder

#205371 1 year, 9 months ago
EyeBallKid wrote:
This may sound like blasphemy but at every furthur show that i have been at I have walked away saying that Jeff made the show. He always has some solo or does something that just elevates everything for me. Ive had many discussions with my girl friend on this topic and have no clue what direction he would take things if he was in control but we always agree it would be righteous. Does anyone know of any non dead or claypool related bands that he has been in/ played with?

This is his bio off Ratdog.org

JEFF CHIMENTI
Jeff Chimenti was not born into a musical family - he had to wait until he was four, when he began imitating the church organist, to begin his musical career. But he's been making up for lost time ever since.
By the age of seven he began taking formal lessons from Angela Biggio, a student of both Rudolph Serkin and Leonard Bernstein who also worked with the Merola Program at the S.F. Opera, and continued with her for a decade.
Upon entering high school, the sounds of pop and jazz widened his musical world, and he joined the South San Francisco H.S. jazz band. He was so immediately good that by the age of 13 his teacher was taking him out to play casual gigs - parties, weddings, dances. By the 10th grade, he was playing with the very distinguished College of San Mateo (C.S.M.) jazz band (the Grateful Dead's Phil Lesh was an alumnus) and the Skyline College Big Band, as well as with community symphonic orchestras.
After graduating high school in 1986, he attended C.S.M. for a year and began hanging out on the San Francisco jazz scene, jamming at the Jazz Workshop with legendary figures like Pony Poindexter. An opportunity to play in Amsterdam ended his formal schooling, and by the early '90s he was a working musician, playing pop or jazz as required. He was part of En Vogue's first tour (backing M.C. Hammer), and then returned to the jazz clubs, playing with figures legendary and soon-to-be-famous; John Handy, Denise Perrier, Madeline Eastman, Kurt Elling, Charnett Moffett, Richie Cole, Ernie Watts, James Moody, Art Farmer and more. As he later put it, he was an "on call guy" for a while, and then a "first call guy" for when out-of-towners needed first-rate keyboardists.
He played at the Monterey Jazz Festival for seven years, both with his own trio and in various other groups. He recorded with Steve Smith and Larry Coryell, then with Pete Escovedo, and with Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade.
Although he had never listened to Grateful Dead music, his relationship with saxophonist Dave Ellis introduced him to Bob Weir, and in 1997 he replaced the legendary Johnnie Johnson (of Chuck Berry fame) in Bob's band "RatDog." He later was the keyboard player for the Dead's re-constituted band "The Other Ones."
In that role, he has become the unquestioned dean of jam band pianists, a gifted player whose reputation is on a steady ascent.
jerryhickman
Junior Boarder

#205401 1 year, 9 months ago
JC is a beast for sure enough said!!!!!
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#205422 1 year, 9 months ago
Wow, what a resume. And all that Jazz. No wonder he gets so jazzy during some of his solos.

That is where his dissonance comes in Denverman. I agree that at times its hard on the ears, and perhaps soul is a more accurate description. But I also concur that the dissonance makes the melody/harmony that much more pleasing.

He could easily run his own band other then he doesnt really sing so not much of a front man, but then again, this band has no front man and its not needed. I wish the boys actually communicated with us more.......like the old days.

Anywho, great subject. Jeff rocks!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
mattbouldin
Fresh Boarder

#231377 1 year, 6 months ago
I agree with all the sentiments above, and now as it appears that may be significantly less furthur around, maybe furthur yet...w jeff and john or mark karan and bring back second drummer w joe, jackie greene who can do rythm or lead guitar and I think write too...could be great!!! bring a horn or two like ratdog....i listen to furthur shows and hear jeff jammin...awesome stuff!!!
do it up jeff!!! peace
Matty
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#231380 1 year, 6 months ago
DancinBear wrote:
EyeBallKid wrote:
This may sound like blasphemy but at every furthur show that i have been at I have walked away saying that Jeff made the show. He always has some solo or does something that just elevates everything for me. Ive had many discussions with my girl friend on this topic and have no clue what direction he would take things if he was in control but we always agree it would be righteous. Does anyone know of any non dead or claypool related bands that he has been in/ played with?

This is his bio off Ratdog.org

JEFF CHIMENTI
Jeff Chimenti was not born into a musical family - he had to wait until he was four, when he began imitating the church organist, to begin his musical career. But he's been making up for lost time ever since.
By the age of seven he began taking formal lessons from Angela Biggio, a student of both Rudolph Serkin and Leonard Bernstein who also worked with the Merola Program at the S.F. Opera, and continued with her for a decade.
Upon entering high school, the sounds of pop and jazz widened his musical world, and he joined the South San Francisco H.S. jazz band. He was so immediately good that by the age of 13 his teacher was taking him out to play casual gigs - parties, weddings, dances. By the 10th grade, he was playing with the very distinguished College of San Mateo (C.S.M.) jazz band (the Grateful Dead's Phil Lesh was an alumnus) and the Skyline College Big Band, as well as with community symphonic orchestras.
After graduating high school in 1986, he attended C.S.M. for a year and began hanging out on the San Francisco jazz scene, jamming at the Jazz Workshop with legendary figures like Pony Poindexter. An opportunity to play in Amsterdam ended his formal schooling, and by the early '90s he was a working musician, playing pop or jazz as required. He was part of En Vogue's first tour (backing M.C. Hammer), and then returned to the jazz clubs, playing with figures legendary and soon-to-be-famous; John Handy, Denise Perrier, Madeline Eastman, Kurt Elling, Charnett Moffett, Richie Cole, Ernie Watts, James Moody, Art Farmer and more. As he later put it, he was an "on call guy" for a while, and then a "first call guy" for when out-of-towners needed first-rate keyboardists.
He played at the Monterey Jazz Festival for seven years, both with his own trio and in various other groups. He recorded with Steve Smith and Larry Coryell, then with Pete Escovedo, and with Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade.
Although he had never listened to Grateful Dead music, his relationship with saxophonist Dave Ellis introduced him to Bob Weir, and in 1997 he replaced the legendary Johnnie Johnson (of Chuck Berry fame) in Bob's band "RatDog." He later was the keyboard player for the Dead's re-constituted band "The Other Ones."
In that role, he has become the unquestioned dean of jam band pianists, a gifted player whose reputation is on a steady ascent.

Anybody have any En Vogue boots? Would love to hear Jeff tearing it up with them!
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds