• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

Cool story on Jerry's Guitars

#9526 3 years, 6 months ago
A friend of mine just sent me this story through facebook. Thought some of you guitar players might like to read it.

www.vintageguitar.com/4958/holy-cripes/
decree
Junior Boarder

Re: Cool story on Jerry's Guitars

#9541 3 years, 6 months ago
Something else y'all should enjoy:

dozin.com/jers/guitar/history.htm
Colorado Greg
Junior Boarder

#9609 3 years, 6 months ago
Both are great articles, thanks a ton.
Light up or leave me alone!
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#9618 3 years, 6 months ago
More on Jerry's Guitar and Effects

The 70's: (Info supplied by Rick Turner of Alembic)
Jerry used an extensively re-worked Strat. He played into a fender Twin Reverb amp with preamp outputs going to a Mcintosh 2300 amp. This powered three Alembic B-12 speaker cabinets which were stacked on their sides, so that he had a vertical column of speakers extending about eight feet into the air. They were stacked like this because it gave a much wider horizontal speread to the sound, with less spill going up into the rafters.

Garcia's Effects.
MXR Distortion + Script Logo for leads and gain.
MXR Analog Delay- the green one with 3 knobs.
MXR Phase 100 Script logo -( think candyman lead)
Mutron lll envelope filter- there is no other like it.
Mutron Octave Divider

In the 80's he changed the Mutron Octave Divider out for a Boss OC-2 octave divider. He ran his without the stabilizer and without the ring modulator on.

The gain /distortion sound went to a Boss HM-2, thats right Heavy Metal 2. He also added a BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion PEDAL and a Overdrive pedal, OD-1 both these pedals are yellow. After each of these he placed a Boss GE-7 Graphic Equalizer to shape the sounds of these pedals.

For a delay in the 80's and 90's he used an ADA 2FX which is actually a digital multi effects unit from the early 80's. He had this unit modified so that he could control the length of the delay and the regeneration with foot pedals. Those two knobs were actually missing from his rack unit. He used Ernie Ball foot pedals to sweep these parameters.

For Speakers he used JBL E120s stacked in a verticle cabinet in four then eventually three speaker configurations.
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by the highway terror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorado Greg
Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#9680 3 years, 6 months ago
the highway terror wrote:
More on Jerry's Guitar and Effects

The 70's: (Info supplied by Rick Turner of Alembic)
Jerry used an extensively re-worked Strat. He played into a fender Twin Reverb amp with preamp outputs going to a Mcintosh 2300 amp. This powered three Alembic B-12 speaker cabinets which were stacked on their sides, so that he had a vertical column of speakers extending about eight feet into the air. They were stacked like this because it gave a much wider horizontal speread to the sound, with less spill going up into the rafters.

I made my own "Alligator Strat" to match Jerry's original. A few others have done it, too, but I like to think mine is the closest to the original (and I'm humble).

I'll try to get some pictures on here.

Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#19798 3 years, 5 months ago
I tried posting a picture but couldn't get it to display properly. Stay tuned.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Ramblin_Joe.
ddsstyle
Visitor

#20031 3 years, 5 months ago
great article thanks for sharing!
aiko420
Junior Boarder

#20151 3 years, 5 months ago
I live in Indianapolis where Tiger is owned by the Indianapolis Colts owner, Jim Irsay. I got to see all of Jerry's guitars at the Rock N Roll hall of Fame in Cleveland before they went into the lawsuit. They are unbelievable up close. A buddy of mine was a Guitar Center in town when in walks this guy with Tiger. Irsay was getting a humidor Case made for it. The guy let some of the people hold it, strum it and he was one of them... lucky bastard. He said it still sings like a bird. I sold an 85 Les Paul and a Gibson Hollow body Arch Top and got this made. There isnt a day that goes by that I dont pick it up and play. It doesn't have all the effects loops or pre-amps. But it is pretty cool. I had the tail piece and switch cover custom made, it is a cocobolo top, vermillion stripe and a mahogany base.
IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg
Sometimes you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
LightningBolt
Junior Boarder

#20162 3 years, 5 months ago
Nice Axe. See my avatar for a pic of my Jerry axe.

Maybe when I get home from work I will post some photo's and start a thread of cool "Dead" guitars.
aiko420
Junior Boarder

#20175 3 years, 5 months ago
Thats sweet! It looks like an Alembic?? Mine is just a Warmoth body and neck. I used the DiMarzio Super IIs in the bridge and middle with an SDS-1 at the neck. I didn't quite have the funds for an Alembic... one day though.
Sometimes you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds