• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Whale murdering asswipes

#95278 2 years, 10 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
Bob played at the relese party or sundance or somthing for "The Cove" - he supports a ban.

Yes, you are right, for dolphins I believe. Or maybe that was a different show. It was a relatively recent acoustic performance right before the fall tour (I remember him playing barefoot on stage).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#95282 2 years, 10 months ago
iraqistatefair wrote:
900 whales slaughtered?.....god i hate mankind. Or shall i say, manUNkind. But i eat meat. Am i bad for eating meat cause there are millions of chickens and cows slaughtered every year here in the US. I am very unfamiliar with the whale killings, but can someone shed light on the difference between a cow and a whale being killed? And try and be nice i want someone to shed light in a kind manner please, thanks.

they breed cows and chickens for that specifically - the whales are an endagered species, there not breeding them for food there just killing them off the earth and doing nothing about the population they're decreasing.

yea I know I used 'there' (they're - their) out of place
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ecojaded
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#95283 2 years, 10 months ago
iraqistatefair wrote:
900 whales slaughtered?.....god i hate mankind. Or shall i say, manUNkind. But i eat meat. Am i bad for eating meat cause there are millions of chickens and cows slaughtered every year here in the US. I am very unfamiliar with the whale killings, but can someone shed light on the difference between a cow and a whale being killed? And try and be nice i want someone to shed light in a kind manner please, thanks.

I see a point that you may or may not be trying to make. Whales are very complex creature that we don't understand YET.

They essential Clear cut a natural species, where as cows are in abundance and can be breed on land.

I wish I could conduct a class on this that would be more informational but here goes nothing.

The Killer whale is a keystone species.
What is a keystone species?
A keystone species is a species that has a disproportionate effect on its environment relative to its abundance. Such an organism plays a role in its ecosystem that is analogous to the role of a keystone in an arch. While the keystone feels the least pressure of any of the stones in an arch, the arch still collapses without it. Similarly, an ecosystem may experience a dramatic shift if a keystone species is removed, even though that species was a small part of the ecosystem by measures of biomass or productivity. (source: Wikipedia.org) Often these species are not protected as they may not be as charismatic or of as much interest as some animals, also not all the keystone species have been identified as it is difficult to determine which they are until removal and subsequent collapse of a community. Many species of sea star are examples of this.

Examples of keystone species
•Killer Whale (Orcinus orca) *
•Prairie dog(Cynomys parvidens)
•European Beaver (Castor fiber)
•Flying Fox (Pteropus vampyrus)
•Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos)
•gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus)
As recently as May 2006 an outbreak of Crown-of-Thorns Starfish was discovered feeding off the coral of the Great Barrier reef. These high numbers may be due to the removal of the Triton whelk for the sale of its shells to tourists.

Why is a whale a keystone species?
Most species of whale take the place at the top of the food web / chain and therefore are responsible for keeping the numbers of their prey down as they have consume such large numbers of their prey. If the numbers of the whales declined they would be less limiting on population numbers of their prey thus creating a population explosion of the prey. Consumption of food by the whales prey would increase with population increases until a point is reach where food is no longer available, in a couple of generations the whole ecosystem could collapse. The time taken for an ecosystem to recover is much longer than it takes to be destroyed. Keystone species can occur at any point within a food chain, the strong reliance the whales have on the krill means that krill are also considered to be keystone species even though take the place near the bottom of the food chain.

>
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, scar1et_f1re, lightchaser, iraqistatefair
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#95290 2 years, 10 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
iraqistatefair wrote:

I see a point that you may or may not be trying to make. Whales are very complex creature that we don't understand YET.

They essential Clear cut a natural species, where as cows are in abundance and can be breed on land.

I wish I could conduct a class on this that would be more informational but here goes nothing.

The Killer whale is a keystone species.
What is a keystone species?
A keystone species is a species that has a disproportionate effect on its environment relative to its abundance. Such an organism plays a role in its ecosystem that is analogous to the role of a keystone in an arch. While the keystone feels the least pressure of any of the stones in an arch, the arch still collapses without it. Similarly, an ecosystem may experience a dramatic shift if a keystone species is removed, even though that species was a small part of the ecosystem by measures of biomass or productivity. (source: Wikipedia.org) Often these species are not protected as they may not be as charismatic or of as much interest as some animals, also not all the keystone species have been identified as it is difficult to determine which they are until removal and subsequent collapse of a community. Many species of sea star are examples of this.

Examples of keystone species
•Killer Whale (Orcinus orca) *
•Prairie dog(Cynomys parvidens)
•European Beaver (Castor fiber)
•Flying Fox (Pteropus vampyrus)
•Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos)
•gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus)
As recently as May 2006 an outbreak of Crown-of-Thorns Starfish was discovered feeding off the coral of the Great Barrier reef. These high numbers may be due to the removal of the Triton whelk for the sale of its shells to tourists.

Why is a whale a keystone species?
Most species of whale take the place at the top of the food web / chain and therefore are responsible for keeping the numbers of their prey down as they have consume such large numbers of their prey. If the numbers of the whales declined they would be less limiting on population numbers of their prey thus creating a population explosion of the prey. Consumption of food by the whales prey would increase with population increases until a point is reach where food is no longer available, in a couple of generations the whole ecosystem could collapse. The time taken for an ecosystem to recover is much longer than it takes to be destroyed. Keystone species can occur at any point within a food chain, the strong reliance the whales have on the krill means that krill are also considered to be keystone species even though take the place near the bottom of the food chain.

>

It is amazing that we don't YET even know where many of them migrate. If you watch the pbs special the living seas they also show an amazing amount of totally unknown creatures living at the deep bottom of the ocean in total darkness. When a whale passes away in it's natural habitat, if it does not beach itself it often becomes vital nutrition for these strange creatures living in deep dark bottom of the sea.

We really do not know very much at all about live underwater, even though its the majority of the earth.

And IMO I am fine with Eskimos killing a few whales every year for food +++ . They really use everything they can and they've been doing it for centuries. The Japanese are killing them to make a quick buck. Probably not much different than the asswipes who club baby seals to sell their fur or poachers killing elephants to sell their tusks (and leaving the dead carcass behind).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: iraqistatefair
Chester
More or less in line

#95293 2 years, 10 months ago
Ecojaded, and MushroomMan both make good points. I was dwelling on this question for a while. I think it's partly
due to the fact, we are animals, and evolved from animals that ate meat. At some point, we decided to focus on
certain animals that were easily bred, and therefore domesticated. Which was a lot easier than hunting for meat.
But, we're finaly waking up to the fact that the animals we do still hunt, are beautiful, possibly intelligent, and do
deserve more consideration, than to be treated like food. It's especially heinous the way these animals are hunted
because they truly have no chance. So, it's not sporting in any way.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#95296 2 years, 10 months ago
Now that is a imagine I will never be able to shake, the baby seals hunt is soooo baddd!!!
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#95297 2 years, 10 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
Now that is a imagine I will never be able to shake, the baby seals hunt is soooo baddd!!!

That makes me truly angry. I've censored myself from saying what I feel should be done with those idiots.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Chester.
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#95299 2 years, 10 months ago
Besides killing them, we need to give whales the right-of-way as well, or at least make "our stuff" (that we feel we need so much & must get cheap) at home

www.nytimes.com/gwire/2009/05/29/29green...d-right-w-72911.html

after all the ocean is their space, not necessarily ours. i suspect all the traffic is pretty noisy too....maybe if we listen they might be telling us something
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ecojaded, iraqistatefair
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#95452 2 years, 10 months ago
I was playing devils advocat a little bit, and it worked. you guys really shed light on the importance of stopping these senseless killings of whales. I really wish if they were killed it was just like the eskimos do. Use all thier parts. And to survive, not for a buck...making thier life of such little importance, ok of no importance at all.
i always get so mad when i see whale wars and see them do so much work and such little is accomplished. It breaks my heart when ever i see a whale pulled on deck. I really wish that terroist groups would one day sit down and instaed of bombing innocent people in Tel Aviv or NYC, to take out a ship of cold blooded murderers with no care for nature or life.
Thanks for the feedback in a positive and educational light...since thousands of people read these threads...im sure i aint the only one who was taught or reminded info you guys just shared. Whales are absolutely beautiful. Most Japaneese are good people, these ones are terrible and out of control and the country of Japan is probably embarrased and mad too.

www.google.com/url?url=http://www.youtub...xHzFMjFclnaGd40-vOWg

www.archive.org/details/gd93-03-14.aud-s...ens.19782.sbeok.shnf

i had to add this entire show. The comments were pretty cool about the snowed in poeple at the holiday inn and shakedown circle in the lobby. If i had my way, i would tear this old ship of whale killers down !!!! (dynomite drumming on Samson) !
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by iraqistatefair.
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds