• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Whale murdering asswipes

#95125 2 years, 4 months ago
Research my a$$. My hats off to everyone trying to stop them, including the guys and gals from Greenpeace and Whale Wars. Gee, I am glad I gave $ for tsunami relief I probably should have given to greenpeace instead. Oh well, fool me once, shame on you.....

Japan funding whaling hunt with disaster budget

By MARI YAMAGUCHI
Associated Press

Latest News
Japan funding whaling hunt with disaster budget

TOKYO (AP) -- Japan is spending 2.3 billion yen ($29 million) from its supplementary budget for tsunami reconstruction to fund the country's annual whaling hunt in the Antarctic Ocean, a fisheries official confirmed Thursday.

Tatsuya Nakaoku, a Fisheries Agency official in charge of whaling, defended the move, saying the funding helps support Japan's whaling industry as a whole, including some whaling towns along the devastated northeastern coast. One ship on the hunt is based in Ishinomaki, a town hit badly by the March 11 tsunami, he said.

The budget request was made to beef up security and maintain the "stable operation" of Japan's research whaling, he said, which has faced increasingly aggressive interference from boats with the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

Conservationist group Greepeace blasted the funding move, claiming it was siphoning money away from disaster victims.

The Japanese government has passed supplementary budgets totalling 18 trillion yen ($230 billion) for reconstruction after the March 11 tsunami. Nearly all the items are rebuilding projects, including nearly 500 billion yen for fisheries projects directly in the region, but some, including the whaling expedition, appear less directly related.

Media reports said Japan's annual whaling expedition left Shimonoseki in southern Japan on Tuesday with plans to cull 900 whales, mostly minke whales, which are not endangered.

Japanese officials didn't confirm departure details, citing safety reasons. But Coast Guard spokesman Masahiro Ichijo said this year's fleet is carrying "the biggest protection ever," including an unspecified number of Coast Guard officers, safety equipment and a Fisheries Agency patrol ship.

He said the announcement of the deployment of coast guard officials "would serve as a deterrent" against attacks by the conservationist groups.

"We have no intention to show off our capability to respond to their attacks or declare a fight," Ichijo said.

Each year, protesters try to harass the whaling fleet into stopping the hunt Japan says is a scientific exemption from an international moratorium on commercial whaling.

The protesters say whale research does not require killing the animals, and Japan's scientific program amounts to commercial whaling in disguise because surplus meat is sold. Whale meat, however, is not widely eaten in Japan.

Clashes between the two sides often take place, and last January a Sea Shepherd boat was sunk after its bow was sheared off in a collision with a whaling ship. The hunting season runs from about December through February.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Re: Whale murdering asswipes

#95139 2 years, 4 months ago
Watch "The Cove" documentary very interesting.

my,my,my ......... Love me some Eco Activism.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#95147 2 years, 4 months ago
FUCK YOU JAPAN!

The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#95251 2 years, 4 months ago
Weir's sister, I'm spacing her name right now, is invovled with protecting marine life. She would post on ratdog.org about her adventures of going to far off places to protest the slaughter of various marine life..... good for her.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iraqistatefair
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#95256 2 years, 4 months ago
lostsailor wrote:
Weir's sister, I'm spacing her name right now, is invovled with protecting marine life. She would post on ratdog.org about her adventures of going to far off places to protest the slaughter of various marine life..... good for her.

Her name is Wendy. I know the name cause I always said I'd buy the children s book she and Bobby co-wrote (I think he narrates it) on the rainforest. Now 20 years later I still never bought it.

Good for her is right.

And whale wars is an interesting show to watch if you've never seen it.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#95258 2 years, 4 months ago
Bob played at the relese party or sundance or somthing for "The Cove" - he supports a ban.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iraqistatefair
Chester
More or less in line

#95260 2 years, 4 months ago
Seriously sad news. Thye've irradiated a large part of their countryside, and the ocean surrounding it, by allowing
private companies to run their nuclear power plants, with out strict oversight. And that failed. Now this. I feel
bad for the people of Japan, who wouldn't be caught dead complaining. But the Japanese gov't must be insane!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Chester
More or less in line

#95261 2 years, 4 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
Watch "The Cove" documentary very interesting.

my,my,my ......... Love me some Eco Activism.

Oh, that broke my heart. I'll never get those images out of my mind. Obviously, I support a ban too.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#95269 2 years, 4 months ago
Can we place a boycott on Japan? What can be done....theyre using money for building s to kill whales...something serious should be done.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#95270 2 years, 4 months ago
900 whales slaughtered?.....god i hate mankind. Or shall i say, manUNkind. But i eat meat. Am i bad for eating meat cause there are millions of chickens and cows slaughtered every year here in the US. I am very unfamiliar with the whale killings, but can someone shed light on the difference between a cow and a whale being killed? And try and be nice i want someone to shed light in a kind manner please, thanks.
Time to create page: 0.80 seconds