• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

Bobby acoustic in Furthur

#95097 2 years, 9 months ago
What would ya'll think if Bobby did a lil acoustic on the Furthur tours? Maybe solo as a start to the 2nd set, as in Ratdog with the other members joining one by one, or maybe just donning an acoustic guitar for a song or two, as in the Grateful Dead of 94 and 95?

I'd opt for the first. I've always wanted to see Bobby do an acoustic opener to set 2 with the others coming in one at a time. Just not every show.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Bobby acoustic in Furthur

#95102 2 years, 9 months ago
No thanks on the 2nd set idea. Folks like myself -who live for the improvisation and 2nd set differential- already have to wait out the "warm-up" 1st set. As it is, if a show opener or as part of the 1st set, have at it with the acoustic. It's one big thing I miss about PL&F: two 2nd sets. I did see PL&F play a middle acoustic set, and that was a good idea. Sandwich that acoustic with two huge 2nd sets. That is, if the choices must include an acoustic set. If not, as we talked about in the NYE thread, I'd rather have three huge electric jam sets than an acoustic thrown in for novelty. I'm greedy for the longwinded exploration, and there are already too many things in place to take away from the amount of time and energy they can dedicate to it.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#95114 2 years, 9 months ago
I think i would rather just see an acoustic Furthur, and obviously Bobby would take a prominent role. But lets save the solo Bobby stuff for the solo Bobby shows. When I go see Furthur I want to see all of Furthur, and Bobby is a part of it but not IT

A little off topic, but what I would like to see Furthur do is like a Bob and Jeff jam, or and Phil and Joe jam. Wouldn't that be cool?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, ZenoMarx
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#95128 2 years, 9 months ago
sounds like ya want a little from RowA and some from Row B stick to the chinese food menu.like any multi purpose tool it sounds good on paper but in reality you are often dissapointed
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#95140 2 years, 9 months ago
Shakeit wrote:
When I go see Furthur I want to see all of Furthur
Exactly. I pay to see this ensemble listen to each other and play off each other in their everyday electric glory. I don't want an acoustic set. I don't want full album novelty shows (especially albums from other bands). I don't want guest musicians dropping in for a song or two and disrupting the story. I'm not looking, nor wanting in any way, novelty. What they offer on a nightly basis is precisely what I want when I walk through the front door. It's more than plenty.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#95142 2 years, 9 months ago
i am not interested in seeing solo Bobby at a Furthur show. but i am in favor of Furthur (the full band) doing acoustic sets, providing they also play two electric sets.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#95153 2 years, 9 months ago
I'd love to see them do an acoustic set, or even a few acoustic songs at the begining of a set every once in a while. Guest musicians are a nice thing every once in a while, like they have, it mixes things up a little and gives room for a little different improvisation. Larry Cambell adds so much playing that voilin on Uncle John's Band and many other songs, Warren Haynes sitting in at best buy was one hell of a rocking set as well. There are plenty of shows with just Furthur making the guest musicians a rare and special part of the show when they have them.
furthur1
Junior Boarder

#95157 2 years, 9 months ago
Refer to Phil's birthday bash 2010 for acoustic furthur.
さらに、
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#95159 2 years, 9 months ago
By design, or by mere necessity, guest musicians alter everyone's roles, and I'm not interested in hearing how that goes. That type of experimentation with the brew interests me not. Just to use your example, Campbell is one of the least intrusive folk, but even then, he does indeed disrupt the flow of everything. It's not his fault. It's the nature of that beast, and I'm cool with them keeping it caged on the nights I make the great effort to see them play.
furthur1
Junior Boarder

#95160 2 years, 9 months ago
Disruption huh? Whatta a joke. They are there because the musicians on stage enjoy playing with each other. Boy what a concept enjoying life for what it is. Not what you think should happen
さらに、
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds