• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

Re: lookin for upcoming festivals within 5 hours of va

#94695 2 years, 4 months ago
This past summer I was going to attending this festival in Marshall, NC. I don't know how far away from you it is. But it was called Island in the Mountains Festival. It was over Jerry's birthday in August. I was stuck in Tennessee with nothing to do and thought it sounded fun and only two hours away. Well I never ended up making it didn't feel like driving after a long haul to TN already.

I don't know how often they do it or if they will do it this year but I'd keep an eye out for it if its close. They had Tony Rice, Donna Jean, New Riders, and others there that festival. And I do believe Donna performed with NRPS. Man thinking about it now I should have went!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#94709 2 years, 4 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
is CT more then 5 hours away? probably but if not the Gathering of the Vibes always has a GD vibe to it, and it's right on the beach to so plenty of swimming area. Early bird tickets are $175 though, after being less then $150 in years passed. I'm waiting for the line up to decide anything (and more importantly what Bob and Phil are doing durig that time)

has a GD vibe too it?! It is the GD festival...has been since 1996. I've gone almost every year and its been a blast...always a family affair!

and swimming there is not so great the water is fucking polluted and nasty, though it has gotten better than years past
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Dire Wolf.
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#94811 2 years, 4 months ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:
This past summer I was going to attending this festival in Marshall, NC. I don't know how far away from you it is. But it was called Island in the Mountains Festival. It was over Jerry's birthday in August. I was stuck in Tennessee with nothing to do and thought it sounded fun and only two hours away. Well I never ended up making it didn't feel like driving after a long haul to TN already.

I don't know how often they do it or if they will do it this year but I'd keep an eye out for it if its close. They had Tony Rice, Donna Jean, New Riders, and others there that festival. And I do believe Donna performed with NRPS. Man thinking about it now I should have went!

Thanks I will check it out!
Hang your heart on laughing willow,
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#94815 2 years, 4 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
is CT more then 5 hours away? probably but if not the Gathering of the Vibes always has a GD vibe to it, and it's right on the beach to so plenty of swimming area. Early bird tickets are $175 though, after being less then $150 in years passed. I'm waiting for the line up to decide anything (and more importantly what Bob and Phil are doing durig that time)

Yeah thats about 9 hours away but hey depending on the line up I might just be there. Thanks!
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#94840 2 years, 4 months ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:

I would recomend the Islands in the Mountain Festival, I Caught it on my way up north After the Summer tour.

It was a very small and very Laid back family friendly affair. Tickets were Affordable at just $50, And the Music was very good, Felt natural to dance to the Newriders in the soft grass on a cool night outside Asheville with a river runnin by us on either side of the field and behind the stage
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
The following user(s) said Thank You: calliopewail
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#94900 2 years, 4 months ago
Little Bear wrote:
FurthurFlower67 wrote:

I would recomend the Islands in the Mountain Festival, I Caught it on my way up north After the Summer tour.

It was a very small and very Laid back family friendly affair. Tickets were Affordable at just $50, And the Music was very good, Felt natural to dance to the Newriders in the soft grass on a cool night outside Asheville with a river runnin by us on either side of the field and behind the stage

Beautifully stated, I will definitely be checking that out. It sounds like my kind of festival.
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#94906 2 years, 4 months ago
Little Bear, did you camp at the festival? I know you can but I am wondering if it is 50.00 for the tic plus extra to spend the night. Either way I guess its too early to be worried about it because they havent announced anything for this year anyways yet. I am looking forward to it though!
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
Little Bear
Gold Boarder

#94959 2 years, 4 months ago
We Did Spend the night there, No extra charge as far as I know. After the Festival was over it returned to public grounds and I didn't see the Police bothering any of the 30+ Tents.

Let me describe the lay out: There is a Small Brick Highschool on A large grassy field which is an Island in the middle of a large river, Infact there is a bridge just for the island, to get to the festival you cross the bridge and directly infront of you there is camping with some shade tree's by the edge of the river, To your left is the stage-the school building-The beautiful Grassy field-and the paid vendors/Corporate shakedown And essentially any direction in which you care to turn will find you hitting the river sooner or later

They had a (bouncy Tower style) WaterSlide And a handfull of Young kids were enjoying it (Unfortunately there was not any adult size toys Next year I suggest equiping the river with one of those large air bags that One person lays on while another jumps on the opposite side "The Blob") And a little Bake sale was going on inside of the School Building.

After the Music was over, We walked over the bridges into the little town, Where we were Pleasantly suprised to find an old (What looked like a church) Where freaks were congregating, So naturally I walked in and they were -As it turned out- having an after party for the Festival, Blasting Dead tunes on a very unexpectedly High quality sound system, and playing French silent art films (Not MY first choice for casual viewing pleasure, but it was just right for the situation, And the state of mind we all shared at that point).
And until it got light We hung out with them Smoking out in _what by all intents and purposes was_ a church, They even had a kitchen, which someone comandeered and began making some very heady veggy burito's

I had a wonderful time, I For one would love it if they scheduled the Festival once again so as to coincide with the end of tour, The way We end a tour can really flavor the way the whole experience resonates in our memory
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#94965 2 years, 4 months ago
Little Bear wrote:
We Did Spend the night there, No extra charge as far as I know. After the Festival was over it returned to public grounds and I didn't see the Police bothering any of the 30+ Tents.

Let me describe the lay out: There is a Small Brick Highschool on A large grassy field which is an Island in the middle of a large river, Infact there is a bridge just for the island, to get to the festival you cross the bridge and directly infront of you there is camping with some shade tree's by the edge of the river, To your left is the stage-the school building-The beautiful Grassy field-and the paid vendors/Corporate shakedown And essentially any direction in which you care to turn will find you hitting the river sooner or later

They had a (bouncy Tower style) WaterSlide And a handfull of Young kids were enjoying it (Unfortunately there was not any adult size toys Next year I suggest equiping the river with one of those large air bags that One person lays on while another jumps on the opposite side "The Blob") And a little Bake sale was going on inside of the School Building.

After the Music was over, We walked over the bridges into the little town, Where we were Pleasantly suprised to find an old (What looked like a church) Where freaks were congregating, So naturally I walked in and they were -As it turned out- having an after party for the Festival, Blasting Dead tunes on a very unexpectedly High quality sound system, and playing French silent art films (Not MY first choice for casual viewing pleasure, but it was just right for the situation, And the state of mind we all shared at that point).
And until it got light We hung out with them Smoking out in _what by all intents and purposes was_ a church, They even had a kitchen, which someone comandeered and began making some very heady veggy burito's

I had a wonderful time, I For one would love it if they scheduled the Festival once again so as to coincide with the end of tour, The way We end a tour can really flavor the way the whole experience resonates in our memory

Wow man you just blew my mind with your words, that sounds like an amazing time. I really cannot wait to go! To top it all off the night with friends and burritos sounds like a hell of a time:) Thanks so much for sharing.
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
Little Bear
Gold Boarder

#95038 2 years, 4 months ago
My pleasure!
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds