• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

Re: How do you deal with seat savers?

#94588 2 years, 10 months ago
It would be tough titties for them, for sure.

Wait a minute as president of the FOFT ( fans of female titties) I must insert that any derogatory reference to titties, be they soft or tough.. simply will not be tolerated. As spokesman for the FOFT we do not discrimate against any titties.. we like them in all shapes, colors, sizes and textures. We do not discriminate. Thank you.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#94589 2 years, 10 months ago
I may be old but its all about the floor. Not on the rail mind you but about 20-25 ft back, dead center preferably. I'm dancin standing the whole show from the first note.. till the last.. and I'll sit my ass on the floor durinig setbreak. Its only rock n roll but I like it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stealmyface
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#94592 2 years, 10 months ago
you can save one spot for a spouse/friend thats it no tarps,blankets scarves whatever no butt in it its available far as i care.i like the idea of gettingthe official policy and security if theyare being tools about it.i dont worrybout being upfront at GA shows anymore as it gets to packed for my taste i can ride the subway for less and get the same feeling
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#94600 2 years, 10 months ago
Daisy Mae wrote:
I have an idea which may prove helpful. There is staff inside the auditorium. Ask them if there is any offical stance on excessive seat saving. See if they can help negotiate reasonable seating requests, like ' I see this person saving what seems to be 10 seats, my friend and I only need 2', etc.

Don't hesitate to talk to the seat savers and ask if they really need to save all those spaces. People are generally pretty nice and in effect you might find out that they were saving those seats: for you.

I like to dance and run around the joint all night, attic to basement. I love to explore the crowd and get different vantage points. When I do want to sit I go upstairs and find an bunch of empty seats and ask a person there if I can sit in an empty seat for a minute or two, or until their friends come back. When they come back if I need to sit some more, I just repeat the proceedure and move to another empty seat. People are pretty friendly usually and you get to meet some new people that way.

There actually is an empty seat protocol out here on the west coast developed at folk and bluegrass festivals where it is understood that claimed yet empty seats may be occupied by anybody at all until the person whose seat it is returns. Don't be afraid to ask. If someone gets uptight and says their friend is coming back immediately, I just move on; there are plenty of empty seats and nice people to talk to; it's a party after all.

As for saving space on the floor, I don't think that's possible at all unless you're back against the wall. As soon as the music starts people surge to the front willy-nilly. Anybody attempting to save space up there would get laughed at or just plain ignored. It would be tough titties for them, for sure.

You know- I woudl think saying "I'm just borrowing this for a few minutes to catch my breath" was no big deal. At the first Furthur shows they had a row of seats that ran along the back side of the section in a GA show. I had to sit down because I have a thyroid problem and I just needed to catch my breath during set break. I sat down and a woman came right up and said I had to move. I said I'm not staying I just need to catch my breath for a second. No, I need to move. Screw you. She leaves and a guy tells me they are reserved. I tell him I don't feel well and I just need to sit down for a second, the moment your friend is back I will be gone, no problem. Oh no....

I agree.

If you guys/gals feel that strongly, I support printing out something and taping it to the seats saying this practice sucks and put them on notice that tomorrow night [ie Friday night and Sat night] there will be no saving of seats- they better have their seat holder be a big motherfucker, not the weakest troll friend they have.

I hate this practice and starting a war with egoists who think they can have the best of the best and party outside is ridiculous.

Oh, I forgot- I spin in the hallway all night. They had speakers out there in the back of the hall for us to groove.... it's where the mystical happens
Phillyhead
Junior Boarder

#94620 2 years, 10 months ago
What I hate worse than seat saving, which is very irritating, is when people don't respect dancing space. I guard my dancing space like its my child, there is nothing worse than when your grooving hard as shit and some idiot just walks and stops right in your area. I hate being confrontational so me and my friends just bump the ass until he moves. Sometimes it doesnt work and thats when it really sucks. My point: if your not dancing stay out of the way!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, wlewis, Dire Wolf, sweet suzee, 23atwell, stealmyface
Chester
More or less in line

#94624 2 years, 10 months ago
Or the creepers, who slowly try to work their way into your dancing space. I always try and make friends
with anyone around me early on, so there's less opportunity for the creepers.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#94633 2 years, 10 months ago
My only experience with this was at the Fillmore in Denver in 2008(?) with PL&F. These folks saved 3-4 of the tables right up against the railing. I didn't think anything of it, though only 2-3 of the seats of the 12 were being used. They were actively policing it and being generally unfriendly to anyone who even started towards the seats. Finally, some of the people came to the tables, and guess what? They all had backstage passes and VIP tags. Running to get food for long periods at a time. Same for beers. At no time did they occupy more than half the seats, but they insisted nobody come near the tables or the empty seats. This was not a VIP area, just to be clear about that. I never did say anything. I can't get people to shut the fuck up while the band is playing, so what are the chances I'm going to get anyone like this to realize how unfriendly and downright rude their maneuvers are? If there are 100 ways to fuck with people, I'm confident that the 101st way will be created right before my eyes. The world revolves around these assholes, and we should all acknowledge that fact.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, stealmyface
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#94634 2 years, 10 months ago
Phillyhead wrote:
What I hate worse than seat saving, which is very irritating, is when people don't respect dancing space. I guard my dancing space like its my child, there is nothing worse than when your grooving hard as shit and some idiot just walks and stops right in your area. I hate being confrontational so me and my friends just bump the ass until he moves. Sometimes it doesnt work and thats when it really sucks. My point: if your not dancing stay out of the way!
That's interesting (no hidden code or agenda in my words here). I'm a listener. I don't move much. I also don't float around from area to area. I sit in my paid seat or find a good spot in a GA situation and usually stay for the entire show. I'm often subject to inconsiderate dancers. I love the dancing and the dancers, so don't get me wrong. I also come from a punk background, so I'm used to bumping and closeness. Nevertheless, I'm always surprised by how dancers will move into a more calm area as if they have the superior use of the space and completely disregard the comfort AND CONCENTRATION (meaning: people focusing in their own way). Just this tour, in Madison, I had a 6'4" 250LB guy with a large, full backpack insisting to dance next to me while constantly near-knocking me over with his backpack. Big fucking guy taking up more space than just his personal space because of this protruding backpack, but he was completely oblivious to his affect on anyone else. I wasn't the only one he was knocking around, either. I guess I'll take the inconsiderate dancer over the inconsiderate talker, but I shouldn't be put in either situation in the first place.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
PsychicPyramid
Junior Boarder
HEAVY VIBES

#94635 2 years, 10 months ago
I went to both nights on the NYE run last year, and had tickets at will call (which apparently only like 20 people had, and we had a separate line to get in early both nights). When I got in on both nights, there were already people on the floor with tapestries and duck tape, marking off huge portions of the floor. At first I was a little weary, but they all turned out to be really nice people.

But come on.. really..? for an indoor concert..?
Union Pacific, out of Cheyenne, from sea to shining sea
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#94645 2 years, 10 months ago
PsychicPyramid wrote:
I went to both nights on the NYE run last year, and had tickets at will call (which apparently only like 20 people had, and we had a separate line to get in early both nights). When I got in on both nights, there were already people on the floor with tapestries and duck tape, marking off huge portions of the floor. At first I was a little weary, but they all turned out to be really nice people.

But come on.. really..? for an indoor concert..?

Bingo..its all good but I will laugh in anyones face who says their "tapestry" on the floor is reserved. I'll give em a lil Philly brotherly love.. its GA indoors for gods sake.. only a bunch a Hells Angels will make us move.. otherwise good luck... !
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds