• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

Re: How do you deal with seat savers?

#94539 2 years, 4 months ago
23atwell wrote:
What I've noticed on the west coast especially nye is that even thought was was there super early there were seats saved already. Almost like someone working for the band saved them. So best thing to do is get there earlier. I will be in line at 11 am. Im not saving shit this year cause I don't want to deal with it. Even though I won't be seating with my friends that's ok. I will see them sometime during the show. I just want to meet some new folks and have a great time.

11 AM??? holy cow! my hat is off to you 23atwell. i could never wait that long, and thank goodness i don't have to. these days the taper's section isn't that competitive. it only takes me about 20 minutes to set up my rig, so as long as i get in the door with an hour to spare before show time i'm good. those other hours before the show can be spent doing other things.
Chester
More or less in line

#94540 2 years, 4 months ago
Yup. I've seen this at GA shows out east. Always someone who gets there early, and tries to score points with their
friends, who by the way, are still outside enjoying themselves, knowing they've suckered one of their friends into doing
the work for them. In my opinion, (and that's all it is), you should be able to save one seat, for spouse or best friend.
That's it. It's unreasonable to demand so much space, for people who aren't there.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stealmyface
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#94543 2 years, 4 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:
23atwell wrote:
What I've noticed on the west coast especially nye is that even thought was was there super early there were seats saved already. Almost like someone working for the band saved them. So best thing to do is get there earlier. I will be in line at 11 am. Im not saving shit this year cause I don't want to deal with it. Even though I won't be seating with my friends that's ok. I will see them sometime during the show. I just want to meet some new folks and have a great time.

11 AM??? holy cow! my hat is off to you 23atwell. i could never wait that long, and thank goodness i don't have to. these days the taper's section isn't that competitive. it only takes me about 20 minutes to set up my rig, so as long as i get in the door with an hour to spare before show time i'm good. those other hours before the show can be spent doing other things.

It is tiring but really I love it. Pluse I can leave and go get lunch for a little and go in and out of shakedown. Can't wait.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#94545 2 years, 4 months ago
if one person is saving a spot for a buddy or significant other or whatnot while he or she goes to the bathroom or merch table or whatnot thats totally cool, but one person shouldn't be able to save an entire row with a tarp for an entire group of people. the one and only time i went to a phish show it was GA at setbreak i went to get a water and use the restroom, went back to where my group was standing which included my girlfriend, and my friend and her boyfriend, we were in line early and secured close spots when i came back i was literally berated by some guy saying "oh look at the king, so much better than the rest of us" and something about me making contact with his huluhoop that was saving his dance space and that alone is why i doubt i'll go see phish again. seems like the tarping at RR has been going on so long that most people might not like it but they do it just cause that's the way it is
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: stealmyface
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#94549 2 years, 4 months ago
Clearly stated in the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Chapter 68, page 381, "One person, lo they may feel more entitled, may only saveth a maximumeth of three seats."

Look it up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bow4bass, stealmyface
stealmyface
Junior Boarder

#94550 2 years, 4 months ago
23atwell wrote:

That makes sense- people on the inside as part of the problem at BGCC on NYE. I'll probably be on the floor 2 nights and try to get in line early for the 3rd. My wife will never go for anything too early but maybe if I get her real drunk and she's slepping off a hangover I can sneak over and get in line. Thanks for the responses. This is going to be GREAT!!
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#94577 2 years, 4 months ago
I have an idea which may prove helpful. There is staff inside the auditorium. Ask them if there is any offical stance on excessive seat saving. See if they can help negotiate reasonable seating requests, like ' I see this person saving what seems to be 10 seats, my friend and I only need 2', etc.

Don't hesitate to talk to the seat savers and ask if they really need to save all those spaces. People are generally pretty nice and in effect you might find out that they were saving those seats: for you.

I like to dance and run around the joint all night, attic to basement. I love to explore the crowd and get different vantage points. When I do want to sit I go upstairs and find an bunch of empty seats and ask a person there if I can sit in an empty seat for a minute or two, or until their friends come back. When they come back if I need to sit some more, I just repeat the proceedure and move to another empty seat. People are pretty friendly usually and you get to meet some new people that way.

There actually is an empty seat protocol out here on the west coast developed at folk and bluegrass festivals where it is understood that claimed yet empty seats may be occupied by anybody at all until the person whose seat it is returns. Don't be afraid to ask. If someone gets uptight and says their friend is coming back immediately, I just move on; there are plenty of empty seats and nice people to talk to; it's a party after all.

As for saving space on the floor, I don't think that's possible at all unless you're back against the wall. As soon as the music starts people surge to the front willy-nilly. Anybody attempting to save space up there would get laughed at or just plain ignored. It would be tough titties for them, for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Chester, lostsailor, PsychicPyramid, stealmyface
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#94580 2 years, 4 months ago
seat at a dead show...how funny.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#94582 2 years, 4 months ago
Oh, and there is a seating section reserved in the balcony for friends and family of the band that the guards monitor and won't let the general public into without a pass.
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Daisy Mae.
stealmyface
Junior Boarder

#94587 2 years, 4 months ago
iraqistatefair wrote:
seat at a dead show...how funny.

At a certain point seats are inevitable- that place was packed last year- I never actually sit. Good point though. Things tend to get confusing at shows,and I guess a seat can provide some comfort for me. I need to work on my diplomacy.
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by stealmyface.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds