• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
stealmyface
Junior Boarder

How do you deal with seat savers?

#94457 2 years, 9 months ago
I know ther has been discussion about the tarp people at Red Rocks, and elsewhere. Last year at Bill Graham Aud. I was in line early to try and get a good seat after doing the floor on the first night. Mind you, people wern't in the seats but long scarfs were drapped over entire rows with MAYBE one person saving seats. I don't like confrontation, so my wife and I took seats behind one of those large columns- all the good sightlines were saved. Not sure how to deal with this? Just accept the rudeness and keep quiet or develop that uncomfortable vibe with confrotation? It's New Year's!!
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: How do you deal with seat savers?

#94467 2 years, 9 months ago
I agree. I have gone to every New Year's show since 2009 and I am expecting the same again this year. The amount of seat saving at NYE shows in the BGCC is apalling. People save whole rows and sections for their friends who spend the entire night walking around or on the floor until they decide to occupy their saved seat to relax for set break. I have no problem with this but if I can't sit down for any part of the show in a decent seat where the sound is not all muddled from the ceiling or obstructions in the vicinity it is pretty irritating. I am all up for saving the seat of someone if that's where they are sitting and they got up for a bit, but saving a seat for someone who spends the show running around and dancing or is coming later to meet up with you is bullshit. This phenomenon doesn't seem to be as widespread on the East Coast either, maybe outdoor summer shows on the lawn but those are huge and especially not at indoor venues with limited seating. People would laugh in your face if you tried some of tha stuff inside East Coast venues. Down with excessive seat saving!! I've noticed that a number of the people I have run into out west have some strong possesion and entitlement issues and the only way to really deal with someone who is set in their ways is too move on and let them be someone else's problem
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Dire Wolf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stealmyface
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#94488 2 years, 9 months ago
i just typed up a long ass post and fucking refreshed the browser
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#94492 2 years, 9 months ago
first off, great topic. age old question.

tarping at red rocks hahah..this year was the first time i did it...i waited in line about 3 hours before doors opened for saturday and sunday. sat with one other person sun with 2, george was one of them...i have only been to 6 shows there but this has been going on far longer than i can comprehend..it makes perfect sense to wait in line early to get a good spot. but it sucks when people claim a bunch of space that never gets used. i am all for tarping as long as the space is used..but it was only a couple of us and our friends all came in before showtime to hang out....saw smiley and co. tarping it up on sunday...got a nice snooze in and nice tour of the venue afterward (not fun to walk up and down with recently dislocated shoulder)..but dire wolf brings up a good point the possession/entitlement thing i've seen it and you're right, out west more particularly...not hating i know how irritating some of the east coasters can be too...happened to me at RR sat night guy and his girl getting shoved down the aisle as they tried to stop in front of everybody. got to me, i was high, being passive, i let them groove for a little bit (an entire mountain song) ...as it wound down i asked him if they'd mind relocating as he was in front of my view that i'd been at the whole show and waited to stand at since 1 pm..he got in my face and said it's his spot it's GA he can stand wherever he wants..i just said listen dude you grooved for 10 minutes i was cool i just want my view back..mind you they are in a transition and we get launched into playin in the band and these linebacker type dudes next to me just came over and shoved the guy down he disappeared into the lower aisles...fucked up

theaters it's rough seats are designated space not like RR benches easier to file in and improvise the setup. no more than a couple theater seats for friends in the bathroom or getting drinks..if you're saving seats just to have space, fuck you.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#94493 2 years, 9 months ago
Down with seat savers! I'm usually on the floor anyway but... at places like red rocks and other I've always thought GA means GA if they're not there then they don't get the seat.
The voices tell me what to say
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#94494 2 years, 9 months ago
sharks with freakin laser beams attached to their heads??

I have also never seen this on the east coast (except blankets at outdoor shows) and I've never been west.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, iraqistatefair, stealmyface
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#94507 2 years, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
first off, great topic. age old question.

tarping at red rocks hahah..this year was the first time i did it...i waited in line about 3 hours before doors opened for saturday and sunday. sat with one other person sun with 2, george was one of them...i have only been to 6 shows there but this has been going on far longer than i can comprehend..it makes perfect sense to wait in line early to get a good spot. but it sucks when people claim a bunch of space that never gets used. i am all for tarping as long as the space is used..but it was only a couple of us and our friends all came in before showtime to hang out....saw smiley and co. tarping it up on sunday...got a nice snooze in and nice tour of the venue afterward (not fun to walk up and down with recently dislocated shoulder)..but dire wolf brings up a good point the possession/entitlement thing i've seen it and you're right, out west more particularly...not hating i know how irritating some of the east coasters can be too...happened to me at RR sat night guy and his girl getting shoved down the aisle as they tried to stop in front of everybody. got to me, i was high, being passive, i let them groove for a little bit (an entire mountain song) ...as it wound down i asked him if they'd mind relocating as he was in front of my view that i'd been at the whole show and waited to stand at since 1 pm..he got in my face and said it's his spot it's GA he can stand wherever he wants..i just said listen dude you grooved for 10 minutes i was cool i just want my view back..mind you they are in a transition and we get launched into playin in the band and these linebacker type dudes next to me just came over and shoved the guy down he disappeared into the lower aisles...fucked up

theaters it's rough seats are designated space not like RR benches easier to file in and improvise the setup. no more than a couple theater seats for friends in the bathroom or getting drinks..if you're saving seats just to have space, fuck you.

William: yours is one of many stories that i've heard regarding agressive people at RR. not sure why the RR folks are so prickly, but it seems to be pretty common (at least in recent years).

as for seat savers in general, i'm not fan of this practice and it should not be tolerated. saving a few seats for people isn't that big of a deal, but it's real annoying when people block off a huge number of seats. from my perspective it's pretty simple: if you want a good seat get there early, wait in line and earn your spot!
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#94522 2 years, 9 months ago
this last redrocks I waited inline for hours to get good seats since it was my girls birthday show so once I got to the seat there was some snobby dude who came later than me and tried to tell me to move cuz he needed the seats. I repied with " haha You got me fucked up" and his wife laughged at him and told him they didnt even need that much room.

if they are trying to save like two or three blankets or tarps than I think thats stupid. I hate going into redrocks and seeing a entire row taken up by 6 mofos with like 3 blankets each.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#94536 2 years, 9 months ago
What I've noticed on the west coast especially nye is that even thought was was there super early there were seats saved already. Almost like someone working for the band saved them. So best thing to do is get there earlier. I will be in line at 11 am. Im not saving shit this year cause I don't want to deal with it. Even though I won't be seating with my friends that's ok. I will see them sometime during the show. I just want to meet some new folks and have a great time.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: bow4bass, stealmyface
stricken
Gold Boarder

#94538 2 years, 9 months ago
My thoughts on this subject are if nobody has thier ass planted in it and it dosent have thier name on it and its G/A then its fair game. Talking is a good way to let the other party know that you wont be intimidated and sooner or later you just might have a new friend. Only the drunk idiot is the one you got to watch out for most just want to have a good time.
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds