• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Chester
More or less in line

Re: freeing up space on your computer

#94511 2 years, 7 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
volare wrote:
I am starting to question whether it is even worth having that much media stored locally...with the ability to stream, and/or store your files online for free, why should I keep getting bigger hard drives to store it?

I have already mentioned it, but Google Music allows 20,000 songs to be stored "in the cloud" for access anytime.

well if they ever stop allowing streaming one day for any reason or if any of those music storing sites ever failed on you, it dosn't hurt to have them. I wouldn't put all my trust in that myself but it is a good point and probably pretty unlikely to fail on you but I think collecting your own stuff is the best way to go to be sure for the future....

I'm with you. I want to be able to keep something, so I could burn it, or put it in a portable player, that type of thing.
You never truly know if the online site you stream from, will be there next year, or ten years down the road. It's just
nice to be able to keep some of my favorite shows to play whenever I want. But I really hope archive lasts forever.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#94514 2 years, 7 months ago
iCloud storage is the future. With wifi internet access becoming common place there will be virtually nowhere you won't have access to your music. With that said i still like to have it on my drives. Hell I still have 3000 cassettes i cant get rid of.
I heard they are going to stop making CDs real soon.
Chester
More or less in line

#94526 2 years, 7 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
iCloud storage is the future. With wifi internet access becoming common place there will be virtually nowhere you won't have access to your music. With that said i still like to have it on my drives. Hell I still have 3000 cassettes i cant get rid of.
I heard they are going to stop making CDs real soon.

Yeah, I have probably 1000 cassette's. I never play them anymore. It represents a fairly large monetary investment.
And of course, I don't want to just put them in a landfill.
Yeah, the CD is going the way of the cassette, and video tape. I have a lot of those too. Hmmm.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#94593 2 years, 7 months ago
I used to tape "the Grateful Dead hour" with David Gans using VHS tape.
I thought the quality of sound was better due to the slower tape movement and wider tape phisically.
So I have those to digitize.
For Apple/Mac people get Time Machine going on an external hard drive. Move your iTunes library to an external driveā€¦to save space on the internal drive. Do the same with the iPhoto library. Option clicking iPhoto will let you choose witch iPhoto library you want to see.
I like Macs!
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#94595 2 years, 7 months ago
Sorry Which not witch(as in the season of the)
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#94597 2 years, 7 months ago
go to "my computer" and click free up space,they walk ya thru it bascily ya dump the recycle bin, unused programs etc. then you can runa dfrag and then compress the whole drive after that you need to delete programs.i went and got a seagate tower at staples on sale for 80 bucks best bet .the cloud is the future but they will slowly increase the fees mark my words they aint in buisness for the hell of it its to make money
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#94614 2 years, 7 months ago
Heres' the thing: they will start charging everyone for the AMOUNT of your downloads. Like, you download a lot, you pay a lot. So enjoy the current set up- the only way, that I see it, for the media giants to reel in the piracy is by making it cost more to download the pirated material than it is to go buy it. When that happens, B&P will be back in business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds