• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

freeing up space on your computer

#94391 2 years, 7 months ago
a few weeks ago somebody made a post on some good ways to free up space on your computer, I think they mentioned a couple different programs to use but of course I forgot to save it. I either need to free up a bunch of space or start deleting music off my computer (to download more) ...... it's all saved on an external hard drive but I'd rather free some space up first....
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

Re: freeing up space on your computer

#94393 2 years, 7 months ago
Clean out your temporary internet files
Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall anything you don't use/need
Go to your C:/Windows/Temp folder and see what's in there and clear that out
Remove installers you dont need anymore
Empty your trash bin.
If you have a partitioned drive, then move stuff to the other partition and free up space on C
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#94398 2 years, 7 months ago
CCCleaner was a program that was previously mentioned that I've downloaded and used. Its helpful to clean temp, remove programs and files including all the bits left behind and helps clean cookies and other tags.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#94401 2 years, 7 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
CCCleaner was a program that was previously mentioned that I've downloaded and used. Its helpful to clean temp, remove programs and files including all the bits left behind and helps clean cookies and other tags.

I also downloaded CCCleaner on another users advice. It's free and it appears to have cleaned a lot of broken links on my PC. Just watch it as it tries to delete other "competing software" (I use some free anti-virus and other utilities that CCCleaner would have uninstalled if I didn't change the defaults). But it's highly recommended for non-it people like me.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#94403 2 years, 7 months ago
hmmm...if you lack space on the drive, how does installing another program free up space? LOL...
Install spyware if you want.. I would manually remove as I stated above..

Good luck..
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#94404 2 years, 7 months ago
well I freed up a little space but not much - I think my best bet is to delete a bunch of torrents off my computer that I have on an external hard drive ..... plus all I have to do is plug in that external hard drive to be able to listen to all my music.

when I started downloading torrents a couple months ago I hadn't used much more then 1/4 of the available space on here. Its a 287GB hard drive on it and I only have 1.82GB left now.

the only downside is I wont be able to put all the music I have on random with my media player but there will always be a ton of music, even if its not all of it. I don't think I could play everything on random when I plug in the external but thats really no big deal at all. Eventually I'm going to get another external HD to put everything on (that one will be nothing but Dead related stuff) just so I have 2 sources with all my downloads, incase something happened to one of them.

thanks for the advice
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by MushroomMan.
Chester
More or less in line

#94477 2 years, 7 months ago
I'm in the same boat. I have a great computer. Slightly over a year old. But, Too small of a HD. I've maxed it out,
with shows and videos, photographs, etc. What I want to do is get an external HD. You could plug that in, and
transfer all your music to it, freeing up your internal HD for operating systems, and essential programs. At least,
that's my intention. As soon as I can afford it. A 1 terrabyte external will run you around 100 bucks give or take.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
volare
Senior Boarder

#94501 2 years, 7 months ago
I am starting to question whether it is even worth having that much media stored locally...with the ability to stream, and/or store your files online for free, why should I keep getting bigger hard drives to store it?

I have already mentioned it, but Google Music allows 20,000 songs to be stored "in the cloud" for access anytime.
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#94504 2 years, 7 months ago
volare wrote:
I am starting to question whether it is even worth having that much media stored locally...with the ability to stream, and/or store your files online for free, why should I keep getting bigger hard drives to store it?

I have already mentioned it, but Google Music allows 20,000 songs to be stored "in the cloud" for access anytime.

well if they ever stop allowing streaming one day for any reason or if any of those music storing sites ever failed on you, it dosn't hurt to have them. I wouldn't put all my trust in that myself but it is a good point and probably pretty unlikely to fail on you but I think collecting your own stuff is the best way to go to be sure for the future....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#94506 2 years, 7 months ago
volare wrote:

That's exactly what I've been thinking about. I'm still completely disc dependent and my New Year's resolution was going to be to get a new big hard drive and learn to do the bit torrent thing. But the more I think about it, there's so much already out there, like archive and youtube, not to mention Sirius at home and in the car at the moment. As long as I have some minimum to get by when there's no internet access, why do I really want to have yet one more form of media storage taking up space in a small house? And is Google Music free? Just getting a smart phone almost seems like it would be money better spent for access to tunes.

Thoughts anyone?
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds