• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
StaggerLee13
Junior Boarder

was LOSER the straw that broke the camels back??

#94010 2 years, 10 months ago
Just curious here if anyone has any real solid information as to furthur announcing shows in2012 or is it done?? I have heard a lot of rumors, but as theyre name says it, just rumors like: furthur is taking the year off...and bob and phil are gettin too old for furthur...but obviously thats not the case because both bob and phil have shows announced.. definatley not too old.. yet..well i my own opinions: like what if this is John K saying he is finished? ..i wonder how life is for John on the inside.. of course he is stoked to play with bob and phil but has that worn off??.. i am not blind to the fact that furthur brings in a lot of money..John has been seeing some paychecks that he never saw with darkstar.. but by now he has to have more money than he can spend
.is John k done?? And were bob and phil a little mean at times?? I remember in barton hall 2/14/10 when bobby was getting shocked by the microphone so they sprayed all the wires down on bobs equipment.. and bob came to the microphone and said " Johns not important, he dosent get the spray".. now why say that bobby?.. John wasnt smiling.. and that was brodcasted on the radio...dont get me wrong, Furthur has come a long way since that show..and john seems to have found a comfort zone.. but again how was the inside life for John?? Did Furthur become a job? Not fun anymore for john?? Is it because bobby sang loser in syracuse?? And how does that come about? Did bobby wake up that morning of 11/11/11 and say to John, " hey John, i think i am gonna sing loser tonite, " what can John say? That seems a little bully ish to me..is John fed up with watching bobby sibg the songs he was hired to sing??..All of this is just a thought.. i do know that the crowd is not happy and cheering when bobby sings loser or sugaree or standing on the moon.. i dont think its enough bad for me to not see them, because as a whole, the shows are amazing..i saw furthur 20 times and i will see them again if they tour, i will say thank you furthur for all the wonderful times i had from coast to coast.. i will never forget theese times.. thank you all from the bottom of my heart!!! And please keep going, FURTHuR
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: was LOSER the straw that broke the camels back??

#94045 2 years, 10 months ago
The band has announced via tales from the golden road that there will be a spring tour 2012. That announcement should be somewhere about that time of the NYE shows.

And you think John does this for the $. Or any of them for that matter. I believe this is a principally a labor of love. There is a certain high of playing in front of thousands of people. Especially when the band is operating on all cylinders, where the musicians get each other off and everyone feeds off the energy, that is the crowd and the band.

I don't see John "quitting" the band. You can see he loves playing.

To me, it still feels like they are finding their voice.

This is not a grateful dead cover band, they are still experimenting and still trying new things. Without a net. Some things work great, other things take work and revising. Same as it's ever was. That's why we keep coming back night after night. I enjoy the slow Peggy-O's, others like the fast versions. But I never know what I will see on any given night. That to me is part of what makes it magical.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ablebaker
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#94325 2 years, 10 months ago
i heard an interview somewhere where john said furthur is way more about the jams than the songs, he called it more of a merger of ratdog and phil and friends than a GD show, my guess is he loves to sing those songs..he's a performer how could he not? but he is a guitarist first then vocalist, i'd say JK would much rather spend his life playing guitar with his music idols and being close with them and creating music with them than worry about what songs he sings..i've met him two or three times, he's real down to earth and does not seem like he is the type to get hung up on something like that, he seems like he is the type to make the best out of any situation
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, StaggerLee13, PsychicPyramid, scar1et_f1re
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#94327 2 years, 10 months ago
Quit because Bob sang Loser one night?! That seems ignorant and idiotic. Not on your part for wondering, but for JK if he would really consider it. Don't even think for one minute that just because Bob sang Loser...or BLACK MUDDY RIVER for that matter...would cause anyone to quit.

I noticed between spring 2010 and spring 2011, "Ramble on Rose" changed up verses from going all Bob (I believe) to them sharing, and then they shared different verses, and doesn't JK sing that one solo now? Anyway, they just experiment with the vocal selection and the only gripe I have is NOT LETTING SUNSHINE SING. hahaha

Oh, and that BMR with Bob on vox was a buzzkill.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#94334 2 years, 10 months ago
a lot of people thought Bob did great on the Black Muddy River, I'd say the same judging from the recording I heard, guess it's all just a matter of taste.

how long has Bob been singing loser for? ---- I havn't seen it live since spring and it was John singing every other time I heard it until Wilkes-Barre (pretty sure it was WB anyway)
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#94349 2 years, 10 months ago
"More of a merger of ratdog and phil and friends than a GD show." I like that. I think that explains why this whole thing feels familiar yet so fresh, so new, so free.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
StaggerLee13
Junior Boarder

#94407 2 years, 10 months ago
Hey doin that rag.. I like your post.. ( at least John still sings that) and i believe you 100%.. its just some crazy thoughts of mine.. mainly because i havent seen any tour announced yet.. im thinking furthur did this on purpose to see our responses.. and like i said before, the greatness in these shows totally out weigh bobby singing help on the way or phil singing birdsong..one or two bad moments wont deter me from seeing furthur...
And someone else put : john quit because bobby sang loser?? ...well loser was the most recent of MANY jerry songs sung by bob and the crowd DOESNT cheer..( maybe i heard one whistle) but if were all for the fans, then why not appease them? Its just selfish! The fans love jerry deeply and John does an awful good job singing and playing like him and thats why they hired John or else they wouldve kept warren haynes....i dont know.. i just dont know... i love the song loser ( i cringed when bobby sang THE WHOLE THING) as did everyone i could see.. which is a lot of people!.. i know a lot of peoplee agree

I am sorry.. this is all pointless.. i am just expressing an opinnion.. John better not quit!..
I know opinions are like assholes and everybodys got one.. im sorry.. loser just got me good.. i had never seen it perfomed in 20 furthur shows and i got real excited when the intro came on in syracuse.. and like a bird getting shot out of the sky is about how i felt when bobby started singing.. its not like bob weir dosent have enough songs to sing...
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#94468 2 years, 10 months ago
StaggerLee, i see where you're coming from..i love JK's voice and i wish he would sing all of the Jerry songs, that being said though i don't have a problem with Bobby singing them, he can do whatever he wants i consider myself lucky enough to have him still performing so while you say if it were all for the fans, they should appease them and cater to their desires more or less; my opinion is Bobby is 64 and Phil is going on 72 it is for the fans, they easily could be at home living life in the private confines of their family or friends., but instead they go out on the road and play for us, they easily could have hung it up in 95 or anytime after that, or they could all be playing original songs that sound nothing like GD music...i was there in Syracuse and i love Loser, i was surprised when Bobby stepped up to sing, but i didn't let it stop me from enjoying myself.

Furthur isn't the GD they do things differently if anyone wants something close to what the GD sounds like go to DSO they are really talented and stay true to the original intentions of the songs, but Furthur is about keeping it fresh in any way possible and the last tour was the best i've ever seen them play and i will continue to see them or any other incarnation of this music for as long as possible. At first i was hoping for Furthur to sound exactly like the GD and everything, but now i just go to enjoy myself no matter who sings what songs if Bobby singing some Jerry songs keeps it fresh enough for him to keep coming back then by all means Bobby keep doing it.

I mean no disrespect toward anyone in my post cause i understand why people want John to sing some of those songs, but it's like reaching for something thats not there Furthur has certainly formed into their own band with a slightly different sound except familiar at the same time. Please everyone just go enjoy yourselves Bobby and Phil aren't getting any younger and when they are gone, it'll just be cover bands this is so magical to see Bobby and Phil having a blast and making great music. No, i never got to see the GD, but that doesn't mean i can't enjoy it as much as someone who did. When Furthur is on, it is something special and sacred no matter who is singing. Sorry for the long rant, i know its hard to go into something like this without any preconceived notions but "if you get confused just listen to the music play", even if it's Phil or Bobby singing instead of Jerry
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by doin_that_rag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, MushroomMan, scar1et_f1re
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#94470 2 years, 10 months ago
Equinox wrote:
"More of a merger of ratdog and phil and friends than a GD show." I like that. I think that explains why this whole thing feels familiar yet so fresh, so new, so free.

when i heard JK say that it made a lot of sense, kinda connected all the dots in my head. the interview was at one point on GDTSTOO's site or Run for the Roses' site...it was an interview for that benefit, all i know is i love Furthur, but if Furthur ended i wouldn't bat an eyelash i'd just look for the next Phil or Bobby show or JK show. seems like recently i've realized that there is only X amount of time left to see Phil and Bob and i don't want to look back and say well i shoulda seen more when they were touring.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#94482 2 years, 10 months ago
that loser was a disgrace, sorry everybody. i've seen them perform the song many times, that was the first time weir was singing it, and it stunk. it was too fast. interesting you bring this up. i wonder how john feels about those things.i've never considered his feelings before, i've always looked at him like a hired gun. if i had a dollar...

scarletfire-- they are defintiely playing for money. tickets wouldn't be 60-80 bucks if they weren't stacking cash for their posterity and philanthropic urges.

edit: my comment above might be misinterpreted. i don't think money is the number one reason they tour, it's obvious they tour because they enjoy it, it's their life, it'swhat they do. but if they didn't care at all about money things would probably be a little different
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by wlewis.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds