• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Canyon
Junior Boarder

Re: The best show you ever saw ?

#9468 3 years, 4 months ago
no way I could ever pick a favorite but these five really stand out for some reason

3.15.90 GD Phil's 50th Bday this show is so special in so many ways, just a magical show on a great tour.

11.7.87 GD one of the first shows on my own (without my parents) it was during Terrapin, dancing in the back of the Kaiser, that I knew that this is what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I swear it hit me like a lightning bolt. I walked into the cool Oakland air that night knowing that I'd never miss any another Jerry Garcia concert ( and I came pretty close) .

7.16.90 GD again more magic, such a great time in Buffalo.

2.13.88 GD my first time backstage, I got to meet Jerry (briefly) at set break, we could go in & out to the park. It was a great run.

12.27.03 David Nelson Band I went to the Avalon to see John Molo's band Modereko. I had no idea who the DNB was but I decided to stick around for their set. Well i was blown away I couldn't believe how good they were, it was a like a giant hug from your oldest best friend, needless to say I was hooked and I haven't missed many DNB shows since that day...

BTW this is really tough, I'm impressed that you can come up with a favorite... as I sit trying to remember all these great times and shows are popping up, I could probably sit here all day but for now I'll just stick to these five as to not bore y'all to much...Ok just a few random dates off the top of my head P&F 5.16.08. ~ DNB Hawaii Tour 2007 ~ Furthur & Friends 3.12.10 ~ Furthur Fest 2010 ~ GD 3.26.88 ~ Camp Creek 1994 ~ ect ect...
Shoot the breeze, lose the keys
Feed the poor, stop the war
Make the signs, connect the lines
Pay your fines, save your dimes
Watch The Feds, Dig The Dead

reflectionsofmatter.com
UncleGrizz
Junior Boarder

#9474 3 years, 4 months ago
sidemouse wrote:
I gotta go with UNcleGrizz on this one. Hampton on 3-27-88 was my favorite Grateful Dead show ever. The band was on fire and didn't let up all night. I remember walking out of there just completely drained from dancing my ass off. I got shut out the previous night after buying a fake ticket, so I missed that one. I recall listening to the Might as Well live on the radio outside the venue and they were cookin'. Lots of people were trying to sneak in through the doors at the top of the ramps, which must have pissed off the cops because they started macing people and came through the lot soon after kicking everbody out. I'll never forget when we got to the car to leave after the show the rain drops on the back windshield spelled out LOVE in dripping letters. Unbelievable, but we all saw it. We ended up spending the night on a military base around there, which was unexpected to say the least.
There were lots of great nights at the Cap Center. The Ripple show was something special. Phil's B-day in 1990 was freakin' awesome, especially the Tennesse Jed and Althea in the first set, and the China/Rider and Terrapin in the second.
Mickey's b-day in 1987 was also really good, although I wasn't as familiar with all the songs yet. The Sugaree was the one song that grabbed me.

Some other great shows I've seen were Rush at the Cap Center in 1985, Bela Fleck at Wilmer's Park in whoknowswhen, and Phish in Poughkeepsie during a massive snowstorm in 1993. Good times!

Wow man, Wilmers.
I used to do sound and stage work for a band that played there alot, called Joe Dicey & Jamnation. Joe was also in another band, a GREAT Zappa tribute band called " The Other People ", that played at Wilmers alot.
I still have a stack of about 25 laminates from Wilmers.

Guranteed, we spent some time together.
You Know it's Gonna Get Stranger
Lafoo
Junior Boarder

#9482 3 years, 4 months ago
Hampton VA 3/27/88 Incredible!!
Richmond VA '85 Outstanding
Nassau Coliseum '90 w/Branford Marsalis
Henry Kaiser Oakland CA in the late 80's were all fun as well as the Greek & Frost shows
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#9500 3 years, 4 months ago
Best show ever for me: June 18, 1983 Saratoga Springs (day after my birthday)
2nd best show ever for me: June 20, 1983 Merriweather Post Pavilion (only underwater Dead experience ever)
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#9510 3 years, 4 months ago
Words still fail me. Saratoga Springs,smoking show from the start, legendary red hot second set. Incredible venue. The band showed us what it was all about. Next show, Merriweather, Mother Nature decided to show us what it was all about. Wildest show ever.
SkiNose
Junior Boarder

#9513 3 years, 4 months ago
It will have to be October 8th and 9th, 1989. It was the pinnacle of a very awesome strange adventurous year.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."
Colorado Greg
Junior Boarder

#9518 3 years, 4 months ago
Daisy Mae wrote:
Words still fail me. Saratoga Springs,smoking show from the start, legendary red hot second set. Incredible venue. The band showed us what it was all about. Next show, Merriweather, Mother Nature decided to show us what it was all about. Wildest show ever.

I saw some of the best shows in the rain, whats up with that? Maybe the boys felt bad looking out at all of us soaked freaks! But really, 7-29-94, and 90 RFK! Monster rain and monster jams.
Light up or leave me alone!
Material St. John
Junior Boarder

#9528 3 years, 4 months ago
It's funny. I think I have said "that was the best show I have ever seen!!!," directly after every Furthur Show I have seen since Saturday at MSG in November.

I am part of the "Church of Latter Day Dead---" having never seen Jerry. I was in 7th Grade in '95--- almost went to Highgate... (still kind of upset with Mom for shooting that plan down) I do consider myself lucky to have seen A LOT of great Phil/Other Ones/"The Dead"---- Really thought the 5 Nights at Red Rocks in 2003 was the highest/best musical experience I would ever have--- and up until recently I was right...

But Man 'o Man do I feel lucky to hear all these songs played like Furthur is playing them. SO as of right now I would say the best show I have ever seen is Hampton 04/01/2011.

J
"and/or it will require a change that hasn't come before"
Mrs Deviled Egg
Fresh Boarder

#9630 3 years, 4 months ago
Furthur at Red Rocks, the Saturday night show. This is an easy choice. There are many in competition for 2nd favorite, but best show ever? def that night.
and that was before they played our song (stella) just as our anniversary began.... talk about perfect moments in time!
THAT was such a beautiful night.... eternally grateful! if I never see another show (and I've seen tons since then, but still) I would be ok with it because I was THERE, man!
(only been going to shows since seeing JK in DSO in 2009.... and have been seeing as much as possible ever since!)
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#9640 3 years, 4 months ago
Tonight. Boca raton
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#9647 3 years, 4 months ago
www.archive.org/details/gd93-09-10.dsbd....er.28782.sbeok.flacf

here's a link to another great show/SBD
the post drums is where it's at !
great show! People who think there weren't any great shows after '90 need to hear this one !

9/10/93 Richfield Coliseum, Richfield Ohio

Set I: Jack Straw, They Love Each Other, Little Red Rooster, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Ramble On Rose, Black Throated Wind, Bertha

Set II: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Way To Go Home, Corinna-> Uncle John's Band-> Drums-> Space> The Wheel-> All Along The Watchtower-> Attics Of My Life-> Not Fade Away, E: U.S. Blues
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by the highway terror.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#9653 3 years, 4 months ago
I have to go with the best ever being the day I saw DSO in San Francisco on a Friday night! It was my first year in college, and it was a college art club field trip! Four days in SF for $500 bucks! Spent the WHOLE time in Haight Ashbury chekcing the sights! Got a local punk legend to take us on a 'real' tour, which included a stop at the former Warlock residence. Fuckign awesome. The whole trip was jsut insanely awesome, but without DSO... my life would have ended up waaaay different. I enjoyed some shroomery and just got completely spun. I remember being hand a weed krispie and was overly delighteted. I remember the band going into Truckign and I jsut about _LOST_ it! I can remember seeing the balconies at the Great American Music Hall and their ornate designs turning into little chinese people winking at me! The whole FLOOOR was vibrating!

Man... i need to get back to SF some time soon.... Definatly the best weekend of my life.... so far!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs Deviled Egg
Time to create page: 0.97 seconds