• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Rock Med saved me.....

#93550 2 years, 7 months ago
Last nye at intermission I had the worst indigestion in the world. I ate some about 3 grams of fungus and drank a lot of beer before the show. So at intermission I was like dying. At one point my whole mouth filled with that acid from your stomach. It was so uncomfortable. It was messing with my show. So I went to rock med to see if they had anything. Well they did. They had three different kinds of medicines. They had the super strength pills like I take. I took two and some chewables. It was even free. And they always have gatorade. I don't know how it is on the east coast but here they look out for us. I love them people.

Anybody else used rock med before?
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: calliopewail, SunshineSue
stealmyface
Junior Boarder

Re: Rock Med saved me.....

#93557 2 years, 7 months ago
I have noticed they are well staffed and quite visible. Most other places all you see is security- never the brightest folks I must say. San Fran obviously does it right. Check out the sign language interpreters- very special.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#93560 2 years, 7 months ago
wait, you mean this was inside the venue?

that's very cool but I never heard of it, never been on the west coast for any shows either
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#93563 2 years, 7 months ago
23atwell wrote:
Last nye at intermission I had the worst indigestion in the world. I ate some about 3 grams of fungus and drank a lot of beer before the show. So at intermission I was like dying. At one point my whole mouth filled with that acid from your stomach. It was so uncomfortable. It was messing with my show. So I went to rock med to see if they had anything. Well they did. They had three different kinds of medicines. They had the super strength pills like I take. I took two and some chewables. It was even free. And they always have gatorade. I don't know how it is on the east coast but here they look out for us. I love them people.

Anybody else used rock med before?

I haven't and I know they are never on the East Coast..I think its strictly a San Francisco thing. That said.. I hate to be the bearer of bad news... I had the same issue in my 20's frequently-- especially show days.. and as I have aged it has only gotten worse. My "real" doc tells me its due to americans diet.. and over 50 % of the population over 30 suffers from this and are on some type of meds... prevacid, prilosec.... our stomaches weren't designed for the enormous amount of fried, junk & acidic food and drink we put em through. My point is ... you will continue to deal with this and it will get worse as you age. The good news -- prevacid works wonders for me.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#93578 2 years, 7 months ago
Rock Med is great! They are at every outdoor show I go to, up and down the North Coast. It's staffed by real doctors and nurses, all volunteer, and over the years they have provided invaluable service to our community. They have everything needed for first aid and emergencies, including rapid evacuation protocols in place for emergency situations from heart attacks to sudden labor. They are the heroes at every event because they give up their show time to staff the room, or booth. You can get asprin and sunblock from them, too.

I only ever had to seek their help once, at the Fox Theater Oakland when some drunk local chick (not a dead head at all) hanging out at the bar and acting all crazy accidentally stomped on my foot with her wooden wedges and did some serious damage. I was like, this did not just happen, she did not just break my foot for me, ( I was even sitting down. Oakland's a dangerous place, even casually. ) I said to the ol' man I think I've got to go to Rock Med, and he helped me limp over there. They sat me down and called the doctor in and he looked at the foot and they wrapped it up with an ace bandage and were generally very solicitous. They're really great, and I really appreciated their help that night. I wasn't immobilized, but the foot was black and blue and took about a year to heal completely, but like the dancing fool I am I was dancing on it the next night. Couldn't help myself. Mind over matter. My foot is not broken, this did not just happen, etc.

That same night they also helped out our friend and his date who was a cute blond dreddy who had been ruffied at the bar before the show began. Our friend had just enough time to drag her to a seat before she passed out and she was out cold for the whole show. We saw them real quick as he was dragging her up the stairs by the arm, but although she looked kind of out of it, we thought nothing of it until after the show and we ran into them while they were telling their story to Rock Med and Fox security. Some guy was trying to hit on her while she was at the bar getting drinks, but she wasn't interested, so he slipped her a mickey. Crazy shit, that! I never heard of that happening at a Dead show before, but this was in downtown Oakland, and Oakland's a rough place. It's a good feeling knowing there are people there who are professionally competent to deal with things, yet are also a part of the scene, and can relate to and do care about hippies. Go Rock Med!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Monkeyfoot
Junior Boarder

#93605 2 years, 7 months ago
Rock med saved me at the Warfield during a Phil & Friends show in 2008.
I blacked out cold - hyperventilated and collapsed right in the middle of the general admission floor area, while the band was playing. Some kind soul (and very big dude) tossed me over his shoulder and carried me to the lobby like a bag of potatoes.
Rock Med took it from there - free water and a chocolate bar to get my blood sugar going. They thought I must be having some kind of a bad trip - I was actually pretty sober. The kept an eye on me for a bout half an hour until I got my bearings back. I have seen Rock Med at Bay Area shows for as long as I've been going to shows (since 81'). They are the best - I think that I recall reading that they had an affiliation with the Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic, but I could be wrong about that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: calliopewail
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#93618 2 years, 7 months ago
not rock med but jus regular medics at the philly show this summer by the end of the show my wife was suffering bad from the heat she stopped sweating and wasnt feeling so good we walked back to the medics they gave us ice ,water and gatorade ,they were ready to do an iv but she didnt want one
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
jodiah
Expert Boarder

#93646 2 years, 7 months ago
stealmyface wrote:
I have noticed they are well staffed and quite visible. Most other places all you see is security- never the brightest folks I must say. San Fran obviously does it right. Check out the sign language interpreters- very special.

The sign language interpreters we also at Red Rocks this year, but I didn't see Rock Med. Although, I wish they would've been there because I got extremely sick from either water or food there and went to the closest urgent care.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#93649 2 years, 7 months ago
No doubt wits I take a prilisec before every show now. Especially this nye. I encourage anybody who takes to much to fast to see rock med on nye. They will help you and there really nice about it. They have brought my friend out of a bad trip before. When your heading out of bill g on nye at the end of the show all the way to the left, they have a stand and it's cool to go get some gatorade.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
jodiah
Expert Boarder

#93654 2 years, 7 months ago
I've actually been considering doing research on tour for a journal article (I'm currently working on a PhD) to find out where people who are a part of traveling communities receive health care. Some are lucky enough to have private insurance, some of us use medicaid and other public services, some use the services at venues, some go to hospitals and give fake names because they can't afford services, and I know there are some who do not receive any health care. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think it's a worthy pursuit or think the band would like to find out about their fans' health care?
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds